• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

allen edmond seconds are not that cheap...

Stillmaticbeat

Reaction score
i just got the list of seconds and they're only 40-60 dollars cheaper than what nordstroms would sell them for... i thought they'd be a lot cheaper. why do some of you guys buy seconds rather than just waiting for ae website sale where they get reduced 20-25% anyways for brand new shoes... i'm just trying to understand.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstroms has a much smaller selection, does it not? And they're still brand new shoes, many with no noticeable imperfections even though they're listed as seconds, and 40-60 dollars cheaper. That's why.

Stillmaticbeat

Reaction score
yeah i understand. i wasn't trying to be sarcastic or anything. i just thought they'd be sub 200 because a lot of people say how they get ae's for cheap, it had me hoping...

Matt S

Reaction score
You can get discontinued seconds for a really good price. Those are the ones to look for.

PBristolJr

Reaction score
I thought of it this way, I could spend my $234 on a pair of strand seconds that have been proven to last decades. Or buy cheap ~$120 shoes and replace them in a year or two.. Good ol' Econ 150 says... if the expensive shoe fits, wear it!
wink.gif

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The seconds go on deep discount every so often. They use a progressive discount system like buy 2 get 30% off, buy 3 get 50% off.

tacobender

Reaction score
I scored a pair of Orange Revere loafers and a pair of black park aves at a nordstrom rack a few years ago. The park aves were maybe 120, and the reveres were less than 100. All in all the pricing at discount was great as they are pretty durable, but I don't find them nearly as high quality or comfortable as their more expensive italian counterparts.

I think the pricing is fair, and you get a good value for the discounted price.

Stillmaticbeat

Reaction score
when do they go on the "deep discount" and how do you find out when those sales happen?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stillmaticbeat
i just got the list of seconds and they're only 40-60 dollars cheaper than what nordstroms would sell them for... i thought they'd be a lot cheaper. why do some of you guys buy seconds rather than just waiting for ae website sale where they get reduced 20-25% anyways for brand new shoes... i'm just trying to understand.

What model were you looking at? I am looking to purchase some Walnut strands.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
To get the sub-$200 seconds, you can't be too picky and have to take whatever discontinued models in whatever select colors are being offered. Recently, the Bostons, Cliftons, Bel Airs, Delrays, and a couple others were selling for $130-$160 in select colors. PAs, 5th Ave, MacNeil, Strand, and other classics are less likely to go on steep discount. Many on SF will, however, see the Bostons (black monkstrap) for $159 and then state categorically that anyone paying a penny over that for any model of AE got ripped off. Basically, if you want the PA or Strand, you're not going to do much better than 20% off outside of one of the semi-annual sales when you could get them at 30% off. But the really steep discounts are typically reserved for discontinued models.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
User "Distinctive" has a crapton of used AEs for sale cheap. I got some walnut strands and some burgundy PAs for cheap. You might check that out.

dep126

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stillmaticbeat
when do they go on the "deep discount" and how do you find out when those sales happen?

If you go on the AE website go to store locator and click on the Port Washington, WI factory store. They usually have a note listing the current specials. A couple weeks ago I got a pair of Bayfields for $149 and walnut strands for $179. As I've said on a previous post I couldn't find a single thing wrong with either pair. The box my Bayfields came in had a big rip in it. I recall reading, possibly here on SF, an imperfection as small as that could make it a 'second.' I was also surprised my shoes had no visable marking identifying them as seconds. If I keep getting prices like that I don't see myself ever buying 'firsts.'

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by reidrothchild
To get the sub-$200 seconds, you can't be too picky and have to take whatever discontinued models in whatever select colors are being offered. Recently, the Bostons, Cliftons, Bel Airs, Delrays, and a couple others were selling for $130-$160 in select colors. PAs, 5th Ave, MacNeil, Strand, and other classics are less likely to go on steep discount. Many on SF will, however, see the Bostons (black monkstrap) for $159 and then state categorically that anyone paying a penny over that for any model of AE got ripped off. Basically, if you want the PA or Strand, you're not going to do much better than 20% off outside of one of the semi-annual sales when you could get them at 30% off. But the really steep discounts are typically reserved for discontinued models.

+1 I am very comfortable for the $225 and $210 I paid for the PA/MacNeil and Strand...these are considered classics as reidrothchild pointed out...

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dep126
If you go on the AE website go to store locator and click on the Port Washington, WI factory store. They usually have a note listing the current specials. A couple weeks ago I got a pair of Bayfields for $149 and walnut strands for $179. As I've said on a previous post I couldn't find a single thing wrong with either pair. The box my Bayfields came in had a big rip in it. I recall reading, possibly here on SF, an imperfection as small as that could make it a 'second.' I was also surprised my shoes had no visable marking identifying them as seconds. If I keep getting prices like that I don't see myself ever buying 'firsts.'
What walnut strands for $179! They just quoted me $234!

dep126

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
What walnut strands for $179! They just quoted me $234!

Bummer, like I said that was a couple weeks ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads