• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
VassFLastAsquithsize4118-1.jpg

VassFLastAsquithsize4113-1.jpg

NotDickDiver

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
IMG00979-20110120-1144.jpg

Although contrarian to the general feedback, in my opinion these shoes are extremely vulgar. I have no idea what would drive anyone, maybe apart from a circus director, to buy these shoes.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
Question for all the Vass experts: I have a high instep and a wide forefoot. G&G MH71 last in 11F is a perfect fit. Santoni FAMs and Tramezzas work well, but C&J 337 is just a bit too narrow, the instep not quite roomy enough. Will any of the Vass lasts work for me? I thought maybe an F or New Peter but then I read that the insteps were lower. Can one order different widths from Vass?

I'm not an expert, although I have been to their shop to try a few things, and bought 2 pair. And I have feet that could be vaguely described similarly to yours. High-ish instep, wide, with the maximum width pretty far forward. Or maybe I just have short toes.

New Peter is a bit low in the instep. I did buy a pair of suede brogues in that last, but while they look nice, they fit a little too snugly-- like a pair of socks. Also, the arch is either a little too flat or too far forward for me.

You may be best advised to start with 3636 and Budapest. Those fit me astonishingly well, although I do prefer the appearance of some of the others in their line. Anyway, they are wide in the forward part, and have enough on the instep for me.

As far as I know, they won't do different widths although perhaps if you were to go there to be measured they could do a semi-bespoke fitting.

I did once try a U-last pair at one of the AAAC shows. While it was astonishingly comfortable, giving great support and having enough width for the ball of my foot, the toe felt like it was 4 inches too long. Real cockroach-killer.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
luck-cha - fantastic patina! Antique Cognac shell?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotDickDiver
Although contrarian to the general feedback, in my opinion these shoes are extremely vulgar. I have no idea what would drive anyone, maybe apart from a circus director, to buy these shoes.

Who said I wasn't a circus director?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
luk-cha - fantastic patina! Antique Cognac shell?

yes they are AC shell, the pantina has not really developed as i have not really worn them enough for it to develop propper

i find myself not really wearing my shell shoes at the minute, they are just not as comfy as my calf
frown.gif

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I'm not an expert, although I have been to their shop to try a few things, and bought 2 pair. And I have feet that could be vaguely described similarly to yours. High-ish instep, wide, with the maximum width pretty far forward. Or maybe I just have short toes.

New Peter is a bit low in the instep. I did buy a pair of suede brogues in that last, but while they look nice, they fit a little too snugly-- like a pair of socks. Also, the arch is either a little too flat or too far forward for me.

You may be best advised to start with 3636 and Budapest. Those fit me astonishingly well, although I do prefer the appearance of some of the others in their line. Anyway, they are wide in the forward part, and have enough on the instep for me.

As far as I know, they won't do different widths although perhaps if you were to go there to be measured they could do a semi-bespoke fitting.

I did once try a U-last pair at one of the AAAC shows. While it was astonishingly comfortable, giving great support and having enough width for the ball of my foot, the toe felt like it was 4 inches too long. Real cockroach-killer.

That's disappointing particularly about the New Peter last, and the 3636 just isn't what I was looking for. But, after reading this, I'm tempted to try the U-last which I had written off. While the widest part of my foot is at the ball, I definitely don't have short toes. Have you tried the F last?

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
yes they are AC shell, the pantina has not really developed as i have not really worn them enough for it to develop propper i find myself not really wearing my shell shoes at the minute, they are just not as comfy as my calf
frown.gif

It's all about comfort! That is a spectacular shell color though. Still trying to figure out what I want for my AC shell. Leaning towards single strap monk. From there it depends on F or P2 last. Will finalize once I get both lasts in soon! :^)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
Have you tried the F last?

The ladies in the shop suggested that I shouldn't bother. Which is a shame, because their oxfords are often most attractive.

Another disappointment: the original Peter is ridiculously narrow for me. So if I try a Norweger from them it will have to be on one of the less-graceful lasts.

If you can swing the time and plan to get a lot of shoes, a flight to Budapest would be a decent investment. While I wouldn't say that Vass is necessarily better or even as good as any other choice in every circumstance, if you find a last that fits you will save buckets of money compared to a wardrobe of bespoke or even Edward Green MTO. And you might run into an un-thought-of option that surprises you pleasantly. In any case, 15 minutes on the ground there could save several months of faxes, postage, fund transfers-- and disappointments.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's all about comfort! That is a spectacular shell color though. Still trying to figure out what I want for my AC shell. Leaning towards single strap monk. From there it depends on F or P2 last. Will finalize once I get both lasts in soon! :^)

i guess the more bespokes i get the RTW are just failing to have the same appeal right now, plus i find shell hard work to maintain a shine of any sorts unless you brush and shine after each wear where as i dont have to do that with my calf ones

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
How come anytime someone sells used Vass, its a 41 (im looking at you walneal and luk cha)? Never a 43....
frown.gif

nest.gif
you better get you feet on a diet then hahaha

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey slew, do you know when this order is coming in?

can't wait!

Guero

Reaction score
^^
If it's the Fall order with our resident Vass pusher, they're supposed to arrive in HK in early February and be shipped immediately thereafter. Fingers crossed.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
i guess the more bespokes i get the RTW are just failing to have the same appeal right now, plus i find shell hard work to maintain a shine of any sorts unless you brush and shine after each wear where as i dont have to do that with my calf ones

I actually prefer the somewhat more matte finish of unpolished shell so that works for me!

Originally Posted by Guero
^^
If it's the Fall order with our resident Vass pusher, they're supposed to arrive in HK in early February and be shipped immediately thereafter. Fingers crossed.

That's my understanding too. Can't wait!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads