• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italy Trip...where to go?

mmhollis

Reaction score
I've started thinking about a trip to Italy I'd like to put together for my birthday over the summer. While I'd like to enjoy food and museums, I'm also hoping to do some shopping. Having never been to Italy I was wondering if you gentleman would recommend a good city to go to. I've heard how touristy Rome and Venice are. How unpleasant Naples can be, and while I realize it's all a matter of preference I'm hoping to get a better feel of where to go. I am also interested in finding some good men's clothing stores/factories as well. So any recommendations as well will be welcomed. On the store/factory point, are there any times that are better than others for picking up on sales?

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmhollis
I've started thinking about a trip to Italy I'd like to put together for my birthday over the summer. While I'd like to enjoy food and museums, I'm also hoping to do some shopping. Having never been to Italy I was wondering if you gentleman would recommend a good city to go to. I've heard how touristy Rome and Venice are. How unpleasant Naples can be, and while I realize it's all a matter of preference I'm hoping to get a better feel of where to go. I am also interested in finding some good men's clothing stores/factories as well. So any recommendations as well will be welcomed. On the store/factory point, are there any times that are better than others for picking up on sales?
jsut on sotres and sales, Milano a couple of days after xmas and in midsummer.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going this month to Torino, that I guess is like switzerland or Germany , then to Naples that is actually same as my spaniard city. Marroquians selling drugs everywhere, garbagge all around, poverty etcv etc.

Ey Scarphe, what city are you from or live?

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mmhollis

I would put Rome at the top of your list. Visit the sites (Roman Forum/Palatine Hill, Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, and the wonderful Piazza Navona, etc). From Rome you could take a simple day trip to Pompeii (take train to Naples and then the short commuter train to Pompeii; spend no time in Naples, it's not pleasant). It's also a simple train to Florence, although you could easily spend several days there.

On a second trip, combine Milan and Venice, which is what I will be doing this fall.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FunLovinStyle
I would put Rome at the top of your list. Visit the sites (Roman Forum/Palatine Hill, Coliseum, Trevi Fountain, and the wonderful Piazza Navona, etc). From Rome you could take a simple day trip to Pompeii (take train to Naples and then the short commuter train to Pompeii; spend no time in Naples, it's not pleasant). It's also a simple train to Florence, although you could easily spend several days there.

On a second trip, combine Milan and Venice, which is what I will be doing this fall.

plain.gif
please kill yourself.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestoG.
florence is nice.

I'll second Florence for a first trip, as it has a bit of everything and is easily manageable. Museums, beautiful countryside and terrific food. Depending on how adventurous you are (or how much time you'll be over there) I would combine with either Rome or Liguria as you'll need an international gateway.

You could fly in an out of Rome and train it up to Florence - pretty straightforward. My preference, though, would be to fly into Nice (though the city itself is forgettable), rent a car and drive through Monaco into Italy. The coastline around here is spectacular (as is the seafood), and Cinque Terre is a must-see. It's a short drive to Florence from there, and you combine some surf and gorgeous scenery with your city adventure.

June is a good time as it's shoulder season, the weather is nice yet you avoid the bulk of the summer crush.

Ratatan

Reaction score
I'd consider Sardegna, you'll find places that you will think you are in paradise. But it's not a good place for the shopping. But great food and many places are not too touristic.

For the shopping you might consider traveling by rental car, for example in Milano area, were you are able to visit many fabric outlets. During the sales you can find extremely cheap offers. Sales starts in July and end normally in September. At the end of August you can get the best deals, with lots of luck though. (Sales have fixed dates (for every region) in Italy, I don't think the summer sales dates have been published yet.)

When it comes to food, I'd consider Bologna. There are also some nice outlets in the area there.

skywalker

Reaction score
I've lived in Milan. Two people have said Milano in this thread, is this in reference to something else?

gastarbeider

Reaction score
rome, florence, venice are a must.

lucca is fantastic. the dolomites as well.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would heartily recommend Padova; lots of culture, wonderful food (hams, wines, etc) and eminently walkable.

mmhollis

Reaction score
I'm looking toward Florence and Rome now thanks to many of your suggestions. There was only one mention of Venice, I suppose that is because it is a tourist trap?

stillerfan07

Reaction score
Florence is beautiful. If you are an art lover, it's a dream. It's the birthplace of the Renaissance. And it's very navigable by foot. You can also travel to Sienna from there if you have time.
Rome is vast. You wouldn't be bored exploring it but expect to walk a lot. Rome can be touristy, especially around the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountains. But it really is a must-see. There's so many things you can do there. It's worth it.
Venice is beautiful, especially at night, but it's definitely a huge tourist trap. But I don't remember actually doing a lot there.
I second the recommendation to see Pompeii. Pompeii is beautiful. And you also might want to check out Sorrento.
Make sure when you are planning your trip that you pick the right time to go.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
padova is a great town. really love it. rome? there's so much to do that it can get overwhelming. if you want a straight shot of what americans think of as italy, florence is probably your best bet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads