• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vineyard Vines!

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Last time I was in Boston I'd swear I saw tons of guys emitting the above vibe. And they seemed to be sneering as if they disapproved of me.

It wasn't you.

jaychiz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FunLovinStyle
Agree with some of the previous posters, the OP is an obvious shill.

we're all hoping he will come back and tell us about Abercrombie

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the awsome South Carolina based, Southern Tide? The do the "prep" look perfectly with their array of colors for ties, belts, polos, and even there sport shirts. What does everyone else think about them? I think they have done so many things perfectly, but I'll let the pictures do the talking.

http://www.southerntide.com/store

laughter95

Reaction score
southern tide....yet another unimaginative worthless "prep" brand. the prep style has at its pinnacle clothing item the golden polo shirt, and southern tide's is supposed to be something special.

just a cotton/poly blend, cut in a big fat square block pattern, hella overpriced.

game over, i finished college and one of the perks of it was that i would never have to see douches dressed in vineyard vines and southern tide again.

coldforge

Reaction score
I do find it kind of funny to hear people talking about upper class white people wearing this ****, and posting pictures of the WInkelvoss twins and stuff—obviously you guys aren't saying that in utter seriousness, but the funniest thing about this brand is that nobody with any actual class would be caught dead wearing it. It's for obese, middle class tourists from somewhere else who want to ape actual upper class style. If you actually got onto a boat with Muffy and Chip, Chip would be wearing J Press (if he had any background; his grand-pater would probably be head to toe MTM/bespoke, or at least have removed all the labels from his clothes), and if he saw you wearing something made in China with the name of a resort island sewed on the inside, he'd call you a peasant and throw you off his boat.

I should note, for the sake of journalistic integrity, that I think the prep style is generally marsupialed and makes you look like a dumb white person regardless of what label you're wearing, unless you happen to be Japanese.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughter95
southern tide....yet another unimaginative worthless "prep" brand. the prep style has at its pinnacle clothing item the golden polo shirt, and southern tide's is supposed to be something special. just a cotton/poly blend, cut in a big fat square block pattern, hella overpriced. game over, i finished college and one of the perks of it was that i would never have to see douches dressed in vineyard vines and southern tide again.
you mean you don't like it? im going to post a fit on here KILLIN IT wit some southern tide, bro. i'm going to make u eat ur words

laughter95

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
you mean you don't like it? im going to post a fit on here KILLIN IT wit some southern tide, bro. i'm going to make u eat ur words

oh holler

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wEstSidE
What does everyone think about the awsome South Carolina based, Southern Tide? The do the "prep" look perfectly with their array of colors for ties, belts, polos, and even there sport shirts. What does everyone else think about them? I think they have done so many things perfectly, but I'll let the pictures do the talking. http://www.southerntide.com/store
realtalk there is NO FASHION IN THE SOUTH. I am sorry. South, you know that I love you deep down inside but your fashun is the worst imaginable. It makes me itch just to think about it. Any of you who are living in the South and are trying to rise above, you are true American heroes. I don't know how you do it. If I run into one of you some day, we can sit on a park bench and polish off a bottle of SoCo, my treat. behold "Southern Tide." fuuuuu:
3b00H.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldforge
actual upper class style....if he saw you wearing something made in China with the name of a resort island sewed on the inside, he'd call you a peasant and throw you off his boat.

Ha ha. Not really. You're still describing a distinctly middle class attitude. So yes, this brand, or something similar, would be for the guy who condemns island labels. (And speaking of island-y stuff, anyone remember Banana Republic's previous incarnation? Sort of a J Peterman light, replete with lions and toucans and whatnot?
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by coldforge
actual upper class style.

Also, check out Paul Fussell's Class, if you haven't already. It's great. (Real 'upper class' people could often give two ***** about people caring about their clothes).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DLester
South, you know that I love you deep down inside but your fashun is the worst imaginable. It makes me itch just to think about it.

Also, come on, dude. You know that's not true. Fashion comes from poor people and the military, not well-known designers. By the time you're drooling over it, it's filtered up through the poor kids, through the 'cool hunters', then, when it's a dead thing, aped by every imaginative designer label.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Also, come on, dude. You know that's not true. Fashion comes from poor people and the military, not well-known designers. By the time you're drooling over it, it's filtered up through the poor kids, through the 'cool hunters', then, when it's a dead thing, aped by every imaginative designer label.

Yo this has a grain of truth, but it's not really that black and white at all, q.v. Aitor Throup for instance.

coldforge

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noobizor
Ha ha. Not really. You're still describing a distinctly middle class attitude. So yes, this brand, or something similar, would be for the guy who condemns island labels. (And speaking of island-y stuff, anyone remember Banana Republic's previous incarnation? Sort of a J Peterman light, replete with lions and toucans and whatnot?
laugh.gif
)

Also, check out Paul Fussell's Class, if you haven't already. It's great. (Real 'upper class' people could often give two ***** about people caring about their clothes).

Yeah, I've read the book, being as it is standard issue for the first week that you're reading 'men's style' blogs. How do you account for the insult 'Brooks Brothers Republican', and the associated story of GB 41 flipping up his jacket to show whatever boys' club he was addressing the J Press label in response?

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
Old money and true wealth could care less about clothes. These guys are wearing old faded levis that are 10 years old with an old polo shirt. You would be hard pressed to find these guys spending 300 for jeans unless that have a major love for fashion or work in the business. They never feel like they have to prove their wealth with expensive clothes. You are more likely to see people at the low-low mid end of the socioeconomic spectrum spending crazy money on clothes

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would be cool if it were true but its not. rich people tend to spend more on their clothes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads