• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by andrew96
There are far more profitable pursuits. I also will sell one from time to time, but I don't make a business out of it. I learned that lesson years ago. OEM and online stores are the way to go.

I really like the thrill of the hunt though. And I am starting to dress nicer; if I did find a nice suit that fit me well, I would definitely keep it.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Defintely keep anything nice that you like and fits you. I came across a lot (10) of recent Brioni suits and jackets. As time passed and the need for extra money came up I had to sell a few. Now I'm down to 4 suits. Really wish I would have kept at least 2 more. Especially the last one I sold, a Super 150s navy flannel 2 btn. Now I'm kicking myself, but super glad I still hung onto a few. You never know when you'll come across something like that again.

mco543

Reaction score
Thats great advice, always think twice about selling stuff that fits you and you like. Last year I sold 3 gorgeous bespoke suits gray, gray with white pinstripes, and an amazing blue/light blue large herringbone with red stripes all with awesome peak lapels and side tabs on the pants, they looked very Tom Ford-ish and they went for a pittance on eBay all to the same guy. I've regretted it, kicked myself ********** and have been desperate to find stuff thats similar ever since.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for the "older" people

I found a Eton dress shirt. Beautiful MOP buttons. It fits but it looks sort of . . . weird. The collar is a lot longer than typical shirts. Was this the fashion back in the day? I'm wondering if this is a recent shirt or not.

Cheers

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Continuing the dry runs. Passed one bleh Versace tie ($5) and an ugly Timex automatic, stem was not perfect but was keeping time ($4). That is it. Even if it does not fit, I like the days when I pass lots of stuff.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
^^ Defintely keep anything nice that you like and fits you. I came across a lot (10) of recent Brioni suits and jackets. As time passed and the need for extra money came up I had to sell a few. Now I'm down to 4 suits. Really wish I would have kept at least 2 more. Especially the last one I sold, a Super 150s navy flannel 2 btn. Now I'm kicking myself, but super glad I still hung onto a few. You never know when you'll come across something like that again.

Yeah, might be awhile though as I am 6'2"

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by catside
Continuing the dry runs. Passed one bleh Versace tie ($5) and an ugly Timex automatic, stem was not perfect but was keeping time ($4). That is it. Even if it does not fit, I like the days when I pass lots of stuff.

I agree. I havent had much luck the past month either. I used to see at least tons of BB suits but now I dont see any. Not that those are on the top of my list but they are at least decent.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I had a great day today.

Went to an estate sale and passed on a bunch of Oxxford, even helped a guy buy some. Didn't fit me, and I decided too much hassle to sell. Also left one unremarkable Brioni sportcoat. Same deal.

Bought a beautiful Dunhill kelly green travel wallet, a couple sets of Trafalgar braces, and a big box of beautiful solid wood wide-shouldered hangers for twenty bucks. Oh! And a pair of Alden Cape Cod horsebit loafers in 10 1/2 D. Anybody wanna buy/trade?

Then I found a nice Paul Stuart suit in my size... a couple sets of shoe trees, some more braces, a Barba shirt (my size) and a very nice old BB OCBD (any of you trads a 16 1/2 / 33?, I'm guessing this is at least 20 years old maybe even 30+).

rmstephenson

Reaction score
Haven't had much luck lately, at least probably not what you guys would consider luck. Found some nicely used black calfskin brooks brothers loafers, 10D not my size, that I am going to give to my brother or throw up on ebay.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdwy89
^Longer collared shirts were popular in the 1970s. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collar_(clothing) Check out the "poet collar."
I tried it on again and I think it could be a poet collar but I'm trying to figure out the cuffs. I don't like the collar at all though. It's too long! Is this Eton shirt a product of the 70's or of an earlier time? If anyone wants the shirt, just pay for s/h and you can have it but I'm going to take off the buttons. I know this might sound odd but the buttons are beautiful and I'm going to put it on a different shirt. Ha
photo2jo.jpg
Cheers

JMayle

Reaction score
Today I found a BB SC that's not my size but was I liked too much to leave. 40R, made in Italy, multi (6) color houndstooth, seems to be pretty much mint, still has the bag of extra buttons in the pocket.

If anyone's interested in any trades I can take some measurements and try to wrangle up a real camera, I really this wish was my size as I like it a lot, but the laws of physics disagree.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
I had a great day today.

Went to an estate sale and passed on a bunch of Oxxford, even helped a guy buy some. Didn't fit me, and I decided too much hassle to sell. Also left one unremarkable Brioni sportcoat. Same deal.

Please tell me these weren't a 42-44 R or L......

951socal

Reaction score
How Flipable are ski's?

Bartlebooth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^18.5" would be the measurement from pit to pit (underarm to underarm). Button the coat, place the coat on a flat surface, flip up the sleeves, then simply measure straight across. Doubling that measurement will give you the chest measurement (eg, 18.5" from pit to pit = 37" chest measurement, or around a size 34 or 35).

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
^ That measurement is laid flat. Doubled, it becomes 37.
teacha.gif

Speaking as a noob, I have to ask, surely it isn't that simple or exact? There'd have been no cause for using different measurements if it were. Is it just to regularize irregular/vanity sizing or avoid EU vs US mistakes?

On a side note, wore a thrifted OCBD for the first time yesterday. Went to button down the collars after I put it on and"” no button holes! Instead, it's got loops under the tips of the collar points. Is there a name for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads