• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Unbranded Brand Jeans

C-Note

Reaction score
If you could take a tape measure to measure your actual waist it'd help out a lot more with sizing, it's good to know for virtually all brands of jeans too

Btw this is because of how many of the raw denim brands might use vanity sizing, sometimes they might be smaller than the tagged size, etc. It's more difficult to get through conversions from other jean sizes because of these differences so people typically just use their true waist and go from there

walkintothefire

Reaction score
I'm loving these, I just got the black tapered in a 30 and they're perfect. I didn't expect to like the tapered the best but the fit is just right in my opinion. Stiff as hell at first but a few wears in and they're feeling better every time. I also picked up a pair of indigo skinny 33's but they're a bit too big in the crotch and upper thigh area for me. They're brand new and I'm looking to trade or sell them to get a pair of indigo tapered in 30's if anyone has got them.

lwkeung

Reaction score
I've been wearing my Indigo Skinny for 2 months now.
They are tagged 33, but when measured, they were about 32. Now they have stretched to about 33
I hear that tapered model are TTS.

Went to a local UO and was sad to see that the denim is now 13.5oz ... :[

Cheese1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lwkeung
I've been wearing my Indigo Skinny for 2 months now.
They are tagged 33, but when measured, they were about 32. Now they have stretched to about 33
I hear that tapered model are TTS.

Went to a local UO and was sad to see that the denim is now 13.5oz ... :[

My tapered ones are a little larger in the waist than my straight pairs. Not much though, I sized down so it worked out fine.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
I picked up some grey skinnies in a 30 (my normal size), and I'm pleased with them. The quality is lower than most of the jeans I wear, but that's what I expected. I like the cut and the color, and I appreciate the long inseam.

If anyone has a pair of indigo straights in a 29 that they want to part with (or can find some on sale at a local UO), I'm potentially interested.

modernART

Reaction score
After 28 straight days of wear, here are how mine are progressing. I got the "skinny" and sized up 1 from my normal waist size. Planning on wearing them everyday for the entire 2011 year. Documenting the entire process on my blog: http://www.withoutwash.com Got a long way to go, but it should be interesting.

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-1.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-2.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-3.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-4.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-1.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-2.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-3.jpg

hobojones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modernART
After 28 straight days of wear, here are how mine are progressing. I got the "skinny" and sized up 1 from my normal waist size. Planning on wearing them everyday for the entire 2011 year. Documenting the entire process on my blog: http://www.withoutwash.com Got a long way to go, but it should be interesting.

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-1.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-2.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-3.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-front-4.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-1.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-2.jpg

wk4-the-unbranded-brand-jeans-back-3.jpg

Hmmmm, no hate but if you're going to put in this much effort, why do it with a pair of these? Why not a pair of Japanese denim, or at the very least APCs.

modernART

Reaction score
hobojones - no hate taken at all, appreciate the comment. i actually considered APCs, but decided to try the unbranded brand because of price and curiosity. i've owned 2 pairs of APCs in the past and it has essentially come to the point where i know what is expected. with the unbranded brand, it's a relatively new denim in the market where reviews and evolution photos are few and far between. i figure, why not experiment with a denim that no one has ever really tried out?

Dr. Gonzo

Reaction score
just bought a pair of the skinnies saturday, my first pair of raw denim jeans. Now I know raw denim is suppose to feel super stiff in the beginning, but how long did it before these jeans began to feel broken in for some of you guys?

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking to buy a pair in 33 for cheap

roundabout

Reaction score
I have a pair of 31's on the way, interested to see what the rise is like, and how well they fit.

hobojones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modernART
hobojones - no hate taken at all, appreciate the comment. i actually considered APCs, but decided to try the unbranded brand because of price and curiosity. i've owned 2 pairs of APCs in the past and it has essentially come to the point where i know what is expected. with the unbranded brand, it's a relatively new denim in the market where reviews and evolution photos are few and far between. i figure, why not experiment with a denim that no one has ever really tried out?

Yeah, I actually figured that was probably the only reason you'd be doing it. Interesting idea. Well, with that, good luck to you, I look forward to seeing your progress in 6 or so months.

roundabout

Reaction score
Mine came in the mail today, I like the fit of the tapered except the waist is about an inch too big (tagged size 32). If I hot soak these, will they shrink on down? Or should I send em back in for a 31?

walkintothefire

Reaction score
Originally Posted by roundabout
Mine came in the mail today, I like the fit of the tapered except the waist is about an inch too big (tagged size 32). If I hot soak these, will they shrink on down? Or should I send em back in for a 31?

I was also wondering about this, I have a pair of skinny's that I love the fit of the legs but the butt and crotch area is just a bit too baggy. Will a hot soak help bring it in and snug them a bit? Or will they hopefully settle in a bit as I break them in?

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by roundabout

Originally Posted by walkintothefire
I was also wondering about this, I have a pair of skinny's that I love the fit of the legs but the butt and crotch area is just a bit too baggy. Will a hot soak help bring it in and snug them a bit? Or will they hopefully settle in a bit as I break them in?

Not so much, in either case. The waist may shrink a bit with a hot soak or wash, but it'll also stretch back out, most likely beyond the original size. Ditto with the rest of the top block. Shrink-to-fit (STF) denim, AKA unsanforized denim, shrinks significantly after the first few washes or soaks. These are made with sanforized denim, so there won't be significant shrinkage, pretty much regardless of what you do with them. They should, however, settle/drape better as you break them in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads