• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AE Strands $265 Good Deal?

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
Even better w/navy 3-piece suit! The other "brown" shoes I have are J&M's and are closer to the AE Brown, meaning they are a little darker than the walnut and remind me of more of a burgandy. I cannot wait until I get these guys, they will be epic. I just want to find a good price. So I will wait until I hear back from AE and see if they have them available. If not, you were the one who said Nordstroms price matches. Do they do like a 110%

My mistake forgot to answer that question. To my understanding they do not do 110%. Just price match it as advertised.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dep126
Not sure if you are interested in seconds but I got a pair of walnut strands a couple weeks ago for $179. Didn't even have to pay for shipping. I still can't figure out why they are seconds. Call the Port Washington, WI factory store and ask for Jason. He was extremely helpful.

+1. I have six pairs of AEs, all are seconds. Still can't figure out what the blemish is on any of them. They are very helpful at Port Washington. Give them a call.

PBristolJr

Reaction score
Ordering mine from Wisconsin seconds, 234 to my door was the price. Not great, but in my right size and the man I spoke to said he had a few to choose from and would get me a good pair.

easy_golfing

Reaction score
Do you just call somebody to find about seconds, or is there a website or email?

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I recall the Strand going for $199 during Nordstrom's AE sale last summer. Of course, no guarantee that they will repeat that this year.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Not really a sale price.

$200 seems to be the most common sale price you can get them for.

I managed to pick up a pair for $130 a while back when they were $200 on sale + 35% off with bing cashback, but that program has been discontinued.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
+1. I have six pairs of AEs, all are seconds. Still can't figure out what the blemish is on any of them. They are very helpful at Port Washington. Give them a call.
Whats the number you used?
Originally Posted by PBristolJr
Ordering mine from Wisconsin seconds, 234 to my door was the price. Not great, but in my right size and the man I spoke to said he had a few to choose from and would get me a good pair.
Were there issues with your pair? I mean for $234 you want them to be great!
Originally Posted by easy_golfing
Do you just call somebody to find about seconds, or is there a website or email?

I emailed someone.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Shoe Bank Outlet
At The Factory
201 East Seven Hills Road
Port Washington, Wisconsin 53074
USA

Phone: 262-284-7158

DStew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thanks SF (a new me)
....are items with minor blemishes, not refurbs...I've been very satisfied with my seconds'....

contact AE shoebank @ Retail Brookfield <[email protected] ....send them your size and they will provide you a list of seconds and discontinued items...just search for the style to see how it look.

I think Strands in Walnut sells for $250 but if u wait until Feb 10, additional 20% off

Why 20% on feb 10th? Is that just an upcoming sale?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
don't these retail for $285?

The AE website says their regular price is $295. Nordstrom also sells them at $295. They are 10% off. However, if Nordstroms agrees to pricematch (and apparently they do a 110%) they would be $238.50 before tax.

Nordstroms Price Match Policy:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/pricing-policy

Doesn't say anything about 100% online but imhoff says they do.

Fred H.

Reaction score
I still haven't been able to get mine broken in correctly. Too tight across the vamp. (Had them stretched, even.) Would highly recommend trying these on in a/the store.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
I still haven't been able to get mine broken in correctly. Too tight across the vamp. (Had them stretched, even.) Would highly recommend trying these on in a/the store.

I've tried these on and they fit fine for me. Whats your thought on the durability of leather? How long will they last if I wear the shoes once a week on my feet 6-8 hours. Also, I will have a shoe tree for them.

Fred H.

Reaction score
I like the look a lot. Seem to me to be durable. I've been having my cobbler add &quot;zips&quot; (thin rubber half-sole protectors) to my shoes for years. The zips wear about as fast as the heels and replacing both runs me about $45. BUT, I never have to have the shoes resoled/recrafted. My assessment is that AEs well maintained and rotated regularly will last 10+ years.

Imhoff

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
The AE website says their regular price is $295. Nordstrom also sells them at $295. They are 10% off. However, if Nordstroms agrees to pricematch (and apparently they do a 110%) they would be $238.50 before tax.

Nordstroms Price Match Policy:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/pricing-policy

Doesn't say anything about 100% online but imhoff says they do.

Awesome that they do 110%. When I was in store, I asked the SA if he would price match Allen Edmonds online sale and he said he could. Of course I tried the model on and didn't like it, but the fact that they said the would leads me to believe they will probably price match the likes of Zappos or Endless websites.

Nordstroms idea is that they much rather you buy from them at that price than elsewhere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics