• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J last 348 and 236 vs 341

Miklas

Reaction score
I've tried in another thread but it didn't pick up so I'm starting my own instead.

So, I'm about to purchase a pair of C&J shoes from pediwear since there are no resellers where I live.
This means that I can't try on the shoes before buying.
I've tried a pair of C&J Arden UK size 8 fitting E with last 341 and these were a good fit but perhaps a little too narrow behind the toes. The seller told me that if I went up half a size the shoe would fit me in the front but would be too loose around the heel and therefore the size 8 would still be the best.

Judging from this informatin how would you think the last 348 and 236 would fit me?

Thanks in advance.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
I'll help you bump since size 8E on last 341 is my only experience from C&J, and I certainly need more experiences.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The toe box is a little longer on the 348, so it might fit you better than the 341. I'm a size 8 (UK) in the C&Js I've tried. The 348 was a little too long for me, the 341 is better. Both have pointed (tapered?) toes whereas the 236 has a rounder toe. The 236 may have more room width-wise for your piggies.

Miklas

Reaction score
Thank you Parker! This was exactly the information I was looking for.
cheers.gif

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
The toe box is a little longer on the 348, so it might fit you better than the 341. I'm a size 8 (UK) in the C&Js I've tried. The 348 was a little too long for me, the 341 is better. Both have pointed (tapered?) toes whereas the 236 has a rounder toe. The 236 may have more room width-wise for your piggies.

The 341 is round toe.

citoyen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker

full agreement, here.

i own shoes on 236 and 341 last and sometime want to buy a chukka on 348 last (forgot the name right now...tadbury?). I tried it on several times, so i think i might compare the 3 lasts.
i´d like to add, that there are opionions that you usually should buy the 348 half a size smaller than the other c&j lasts, due to its elongation etc. whatnot. i find for MYSELF that i wear the same siöze on the different lasts.

particularly i´d like to compare the 341 cottesmore (jodhpur style) and the 236 connaught: both fitting well, but i "feel" my pinky toe with the cottesmore, whereas with the 236, i don´t.

just a further addiotion to the above post.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this also because I'm looking at the C&J Drummond, which is on the 348 last. This would be my first pair of C&J's. I normally wear a 9.5 D US, which means a 9 E UK.

citoyen

Reaction score
cuttingboard: you´ll have to know your size in at least one c&j last to get a fairly accurate comparison. I´d say C&J are true to size. I only once sized up to my "usual" size which i´m taking across all manufacturers, that was with LUDWIG REITER - i sized up a full size.

back to your question: know your size with C&J, then go shopping online. or try on one of the other usual suspects (lobb, green, cheaney, trickers, you name it) and start a comparison thread after you used the search function unsuccesfully
biggrin.gif

buying a manufacturer online is always a bit risky. if you won´t pay for packing and postage, you could buy two sizes and send the one back which is not fitting.

citoyen

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thinking to get a pair of CJs in suede on 236 last,would it be correct to assume that 236 fits similar to 325 last? Anybody who owns both of these lasts can provide a quick comparison?

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Just a word of warning, since you are my size (9.5D US). The 348 is a NARROW last--forget the length. Whereas I normally size down one full size in most E and F fitting English shoes, for the 348 I only size down half a size. So on the 337 last (Belgrave et al.) I take an 8.5E, for the 348 I take a 9E. I couldn't even put on the 8.5E in the 348 it was so tight. YMMV.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Citoyen and EBugatti - Great infomation and very much appreciated!! As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to visit a local shoe store that carries C&J and try on several shoes to get an accurate measurement.

I have only one pair of European sized shoes that I bought sight unseen and they are a 42. I was told that they run large.

david809

Reaction score
As another data point, I size down a full size for both the 348 and 341. I wear a US 9D. They feel pretty similar to me in terms of how they fit along the sides of the foot, the 348 just has a bit more space in the toe box in front of your toes, so not sure if that will solve the OP's pinching issue.

As an aside, I find myself wearing my 348s less and less.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by david809
As another data point, I size down a full size for both the 348 and 341. I wear a US 9D. They feel pretty similar to me in terms of how they fit along the sides of the foot, the 348 just has a bit more space in the toe box in front of your toes, so not sure if that will solve the OP's pinching issue.

As an aside, I find myself wearing my 348s less and less.

Let me get this right...you normally wear an 9D US / 8.5E/F UK and you had to size down to an 8 UK for the 348 because of the extra room in the toe?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
The more I read threads about sizing, the more I believe that every foot is different. I have many pairs of C&J, in many lasts, and most of these posts are slightly off from my experience.

Thus, If you are ordering online, order in multiple sizes and return those that don't fit. Return shipping is a wholly worthwhile cost of business.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads