• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Disappointed with Brooks Bros.

MikeSalvino

Reaction score
I used to run the complaint dept. at a large Pharmaceutical Co. and know the value of a complaint if taken seriously and learned from.
Here's the email I sent to BB last week . it's self explanatory.

"Yes, I'm afraid this is not one of those fun emails. I'm in NYC attending a
class and as planned
earlier, went to 346 Madison to purchase a few outfits. Over the last 3
months I worked hard to lose
a significant amount of weight and my 'mantra' during this hard task was
"Brooks Brothers..." that
kept me working to lose the weight so I could begin my new wardrobe at BB.
It was a terrible experience. When entering the store a sales person barely
nodded and when asked a
question about shirts decided he was needed elsewhere in the store.
After fumbling around myself in the shirt displays another salesman came
behind me and started
'straightening up' the shirts I was looking at. Never looked at me, asked me
what I wanted and then
told me I was in the wrong section.
Once we got to the right area (slim fit) I told him what I wanted, not too
hard, 3 supima cotton
oxford button downs- 2 white and one blue 17/35. HE JUST WALKED AWAY!
He came back in a few minutes with a shirt and said he only had one white
and set it down strolled
away. Came back shortly as I begun to look at the no-iron for the other
two...decided on two of
those and again just walked away...
Here's the best part...he came back with one shirt, it obviously had been
opened and put back into
the plastic-not very well -and dropped it in front of me and said "it's the
last one" AND WALKED
AWAY!!!.
Let me get this straight....I'm at 346 Madison Ave. and Brooks Brothers is
out of 2 or 3 white or
blue Button Down shirts in 17/35???
I have a BB credit card and finally decided of what was left to buy 3
because your shirts are the
best....unfortunately your service at the flagship store really needs some
work....
Oh, by the way I did get a great sport coat, sweaters, slacks and a hat down
the street at Jos. A.
Banks......a very helpful, nice sales lady waited on me.
Regretfully,
Got an email saying someone would look into this...haven't heard anything yet....
Stay tuned...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You have a BB credit card and needed help picking out white and blue shirts in 17/35??
I mean, I am not saying that the service was "good." But if that is a place that I shop alot or am familiar with, I would have walked in and found the shirts that I liked and walked up to someone and said, can I have 1 more of these or 2 more of those. Done...Like I said, if that is what happened, it's not great service, but I learned my lesson from Mafoofan's Hermes thread!

yarnsforth

Reaction score
I've had similar experiences at 346 but great service at other branches (Liberty Plaza, Manhasset, Shrewsbury, NJ).

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeSalvino
Blah blah blah.....................

Oh, by the way I did get a great sport coat, sweaters, slacks and a hat down
the street at Jos. A.
Banks.
.....a very helpful, nice sales lady waited on me.
Regretfully,
Got an email saying someone would look into this...haven't heard anything yet....
Stay tuned...

sarcasm.gif

when you used to run the complaint department at the large pharmaceutical company, what do you do with these long-winded complaint letter?

Brooks Brothers and Jos A. Banks are not in the same league.

Had you said you went down the block and purchased a wardrobe at Paul Stuart, I'd be more inclined to say you were a spender. At Jos A. Bank? NO.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting sick of reading these threads. AS SOON AS A SALES ASSOCIATE PISSES YOU OFF, EITHER ASK TO DEAL WITH A DIFFERENT ASSOCIATE OR LEAVE THE STORE.
ffffuuuu.gif
Otherwise, everything that happens that stresses you out is ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT. ****.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
I'm getting sick of reading these threads.

AS SOON AS A SALES ASSOCIATE PISSES YOU OFF, EITHER ASK TO DEAL WITH A DIFFERENT ASSOCIATE OR LEAVE THE STORE.
ffffuuuu.gif

Otherwise, everything that happens that stresses you out is ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT.

have to agree. white and blue shirts in 17/35?? help urself and don't wait for something as basic as that!

HarleyBob

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of love on this forum for Brooks Brothers, but I don't understand why. They used to be high quality goods, but not really anymore. They have a lot of low-end junk. Their in store service is generally poor, their internet shopping experience is terrible (often out of everything and what they do say they have is often on back order and who knows if you will every receive it.)

Why do people keep supporting this company?

viator

Reaction score
The heart of your story is that you went to BB, they didn't have your size in the shirts you wanted, so you left and went to JAB. You worked out for months with certain items in mind, and yet when confronted with a slight hiccup, you bolt for inferior goods?

At the same time, I agree it doesn't sound like spectacular service...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In this economy, no one can afford to treat customers with disrespect. I am reminded of a quote from the BBC's "Absolutely Fabulous" when Jennifer Saunders is being treated rudely by a salesgirl and as she exits states, "You know...you can drop the attitude...you just work in a shop."

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarleyBob
I know there is a lot of love on this forum for Brooks Brothers, but I don't understand why. They used to be high quality goods, but not really anymore. They have a lot of low-end junk. Their in store service is generally poor, their internet shopping experience is terrible (often out of everything and what they do say they have is often on back order and who knows if you will every receive it.)

Why do people keep supporting this company?

I kind of have to agree with most of this.

You might expect this kind of service in certain stores, but not in a store that carries average/slightly above average quality clothing and has a stereotype of catering to the overweight, bland, suburban white male.

PoloPlayer

Reaction score
Wow, you guys talk about Brook Bros like it was the axis of the mens clothing world. There isn't as much difference in goods between JA Banks and BB as you might wish. The old Brooks Bros?...that was something different. Nobody made an oxford shirt like they did. Southwick / Grieco Bros. - made 346 clothing was very nice... and affordable too. Sensational shoes, neckwear, shetland sweaters. All of the other natural shoulder stores were mere pretenders...wannabees. All of that is gone now.

Service at Brooks Bros. was always a mixed bag. The staff were primarily long time pros that would quickly size up a customer. If you were not having a good day sartorially you might be left to fending for yourself. A friend of mine who worked there tells a story relating this. At that time, all of the neckwear was laid out in glass cases that required the help of a sales person. I personally have always hated shopping for ties in this way; and this salesmen surely felt the same way. In this situation, the sales man wasn't about to have to bend down to the bottom shelf to bring out another dozen ties, so he stepped out from behind the case and proceeded to use the toe of his shoe to point out the ties that might be best with for dad's Father's Day gift.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PoloPlayer
At that time, all of the neckwear was laid out in glass cases that required the help of a sales person. I personally have always hated shopping for ties in this way; and this salesmen surely felt the same way. In this situation, the sales man wasn't about to have to bend down to the bottom shelf to bring out another dozen ties, so he stepped out from behind the case and proceeded to use the toe of his shoe to point out the ties that might be best with for dad's Father's Day gift.

On some level I would understand that the guy might not want to throw out his back bending down to floor level all day to show people ties they likely won't end up purchasing. That said, the entire point of a store is to allow people to peruse and purchase goods.

In the situation you described I would have no problem whatsoever telling that guy in very straightforward language (too curt to be called "polite" but I certainly would not swear or anything to that effect) that I expected him to show me ties to MY satisfaction in his store. I am not about to be shown fine goods by a waggle of some shopkeep's dirty foot, and if that is all he sees fit to do for me I will enthusiastically tell him what I think of him and any company that would keep him on payroll on their front lines.

If you work in a service environment and have no interest providing service you deserve every earful you get.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Jos A Bank even a real store?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads