• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Top Chef All Stars

pseudonym

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
The best part of watching Top Chef is watching the Million Dollar Listing commercials.

"Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I can't throw down."

I laughed so hard.
laugh.gif

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
How does Rao's work? They alluded to owning the tables.

According to what I've read online, the restaurant has ten table and each is devoted to an individual or family. The only way to eat there is to somehow obtain the table from that party. Pretty ridiculous.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Do they eat there every night?

You can schedule it however you want where available, but you HAVE to attend or fill the spot. e.g. Every first Wednesday of the month, every Tuesday, or daily.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erictheobscure
According to what I've read online, the restaurant has ten table and each is devoted to an individual or family. The only way to eat there is to somehow obtain the table from that party. Pretty ridiculous.

Is there a fee? How can they make money with no volume?

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
Is there a fee? How can they make money with no volume?

I have no idea. Their website obnoxiously suggests that those of us without a standing reservation can enjoy a drink at their bar. Maybe they make their money off of booze. (And the mob.)

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
since their restaurant is permanently booked, i would assume they get lots of volume and make lots of money

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you could choose any of the All Stars to be your personal chef (and only chef for all you guys tempted to choose Casey) who would it be? I think I would choose Carla. She doesn't make haute cuisine, but her comfort food would be a lot easier to eat every day.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
casey. she'd cook in just an apron

This minus the apron.
smile.gif

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
since their restaurant is permanently booked, i would assume they get lots of volume and make lots of money

So whoever owns that table has to guarantee that someone will use it every night?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, yes. If they don't, they lose their permanent reservation entirely.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
From what I understand, yes. If they don't, they lose their permanent reservation entirely.

Wow, so is that for one sitting or two? If the people don't show up do you owe a min amount? Interesting concept, must be a NY thing.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bobby Flay did a throwdown with the daughter/daughter-in-law who is the chef at Rao's in LV. They explained the whole thing at the beginning. Basically, a few people demanded the standing reservation, then it just filled up.

It's quite a power trip, considering the VIPs who must contact you trying to get your table when they are in town.

If I could have an all-star as my personal chef, I'd probably go with Blais or Fabio. I actually think Blais's food is the most interesting / imaginative. However Fabio would attract so much talent, I couldn't help but catch some of the overflow. (of course this is moot if Kasey can do more than cook).

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I would pick Marcelle just so I could endlessly mock him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads