• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indochino suits?

ZenStyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GloStiX
Buying from Indochino can be frustrating because there is so little information with regards to the details of how their remake/alterations process works, mailing back, Customs, etc. on the internet.

Sure you can read 100 pages of this thread and see a lot of people b!#ching about them, but it's very discouraging for people trying them out because there is no shared repertoire of "insider knowledge".

To add my contribution, Angie @ Indochino says: reduce measurements as if the garment were laid flat.

This is in contrast to what others have said and to what some may think is common sense: if the chest is 2" too big (40 instead of 38 inch, for example), then you need to use the +/- buttons to show "-1 inch", not "-2 inch". Hope this info is helpful to others.

The part about reducing measurements as if the garment is laid flat makes no sense. When you punch in remake adjustments (using your example needing the chest to go from 40" to 38"), they are then reflected in your measurements on your account. If you only punch in "-1 inch", then your account will be updated to "chest 39 inches". You need to put in "-2 inches" which will then bring your chest measurement to the desired "chest 38 inches". I think "Angie" is confused or misinterpreting the info somehow. If you want the pant waist 0.5 smaller you put -0.5, not -0.25.

GloStiX

Reaction score
What about like bicep/thigh circumference measurements?

sharkw

Reaction score
GloStix, I'm a satisfied Indochino customer but I don't think you're going to get a suit as well-fitted as the $60 you bought on ebay, even on a remake. Based on my experience, Indochino works from body measurements and then creates new measurements based on their "house" cut. It can be confusing since some values will get tweaked while others won't, out of necessity. For example, if you measure your chest at 36" the suit chest will be around 38" which is correct in most instances, while leg length/pants length should be whatever you enter.

Another complicating factor with the cut - their pants are a slim but still pretty classic cut with a normal break, I believe no matter what your ankle measurement is they give you an approximately 8" (laid flat) cuff opening. Your custom made suit from ebay has a tapered pant with no break, which explains why they totally changed your pant length measurement. That doesn't excuse their ignoring your waist measurement though!

I agree with ZenStyle about Angie being confused, I'm pretty sure when you change the measurements they should correspond to the same original measurement technique, i.e. circumference rather than laid flat where applicable.

GloStiX

Reaction score
^Yeah that might be the case, but I adjusted my measurements and we'll see what I get. It doesn't make sense that a custom suiting company doesn't let you get a custom "fit" to your suit. How is that any different than getting OTR then?

I don't want to complain too much until I get my remake and see what they can do. Also, $75 credit applies to remakes too, right? I will apply it to getting my pants tapered.

krspdla

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm a 19 year old business student and I need a suit for all the business conferences and events I've been going to. I'm looking at a charcoal suit for business, and was wondering if for my low budget (<$400), Indochino would make a good choice as a starter MTM. I've heard that you can get the suits remade if they're made poorly, and that there's free alterations.

My questions are, though Indochino doesn't have very good quality, would it be a good starter for an MTM? I really want a better fitting suit as I'm currently wearing a boxy Mexx one right now. Also, for those who have gotten a suit from Indochino, about how long did it take for you to get a suit you were satisfied with?

Thanks

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by krspdla
Hey everyone. I'm a 19 year old business student and I need a suit for all the business conferences and events I've been going to. I'm looking at a charcoal suit for business, and was wondering if for my low budget (<$400), Indochino would make a good choice as a starter MTM. I've heard that you can get the suits remade if they're made poorly, and that there's free alterations.

My questions are, though Indochino doesn't have very good quality, would it be a good starter for an MTM? I really want a better fitting suit as I'm currently wearing a boxy Mexx one right now. Also, for those who have gotten a suit from Indochino, about how long did it take for you to get a suit you were satisfied with?

Thanks

No one will confuse it with Kiton, but I'd say it is comparable to your entry-level fabrics. I've had the first suit for about 6 months now with weekly wear and nothing has fallen apart yet.

I got lucky, both of my suits didn't need a remake. Others not-so-much. I'd suggest finding some suits that you like and checking the measurements. If you literally start from scratch on yourself then you might not like the outcome.

barrygavin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CousinDonuts
I got lucky, both of my suits didn't need a remake. Others not-so-much. I'd suggest finding some suits that you like and checking the measurements. If you literally start from scratch on yourself then you might not like the outcome.

you mean go out and try OTR suits, then use those measurements as a base?

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by barrygavin
you mean go out and try OTR suits, then use those measurements as a base?

If you can, yes. Find a suit that fits well, buy it, go to a tailor and inquire what he'd change on the measurements, return the suit, then make adjustments accordingly on the measurement forms. In the process you may have convinced yourself that you're a 42R when really you're a 40. Take the ego out, find what fits.

I am convinced that my 2 purchases from IC turned out well upon one attempt because I wear suits to work daily, have been doing so for 8 years, and knew how to tweak my measurements to make the fit as I desire. I have several suits that I love, so I could compare shoulder widths and sleeve/pants/jacket lengths, etc. When I see pictures of first-timers on here that look like trainwrecks I can see how they probably mis-measured.

Then again, maybe I was lucky, just my 2 cents.

KP23

Reaction score
I wish they made a double breasted, I might give them a try.

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heck, I'll sell mine too, maybe for less than $50 if you're nice.

LorenzL

Reaction score
indochino+february+collection.jpg
New Collection coming up on Thursday - looks interesting (but it seems no cardigans)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads