• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Those shoes.....

Congrats on your quick getting back in track.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doral
Hello all. I have not posted in about a month due to the fact that my organization had a reduction in force (RIF) and I was one of the 42 people that got released. All is not lost thought. I got my separation package January 18 at 9:00 am. Had a job interview that same day at 11:00 am and I just got notified today that I was hired and I will be heading to Abu Dhabi in the U.A.E. the first week in March. I am excited and can not wait to leave. Anyone here ever lived/worked in Abu Dhabi?

You'll have an easy enough time but it's a place where I'd feel pretty guilty about many things. A lot of shady practices going on behind the scenes to put it lightly, and on my ban list of places I'd consider visiting or working at. Summer is hell there as well but luckily you'll be well off enough that you can spend most of your time where there is air conditioning.

Don't want to scare you though; you're not one of the people that it's a bad place for.

In related news, I was also released because my school can't afford to hire me again (I reached the top of the payscale).

blofeld

Reaction score
last day before the office remodel, and oh **** I wore lots of blue, so it's SW&D style Friday Challenge

full.jpg

ex1.jpg

ex2.jpg

kicks.jpg

bespoke shirt / uniqlo hoodie / RB11 denim / pam164 / c&j bremner in taupe / nex-5 on a&a blue silk cord

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Achilles_
Blue Challenge/First pictures on this board ever. I will have to have my wife take pics for me when I get home, I really underestimated how hard it is to take good pictures!

Not bad, Achilles. The detail shots surprised me with quality I didn't expect from the first pic.

Unbutton that top jacket button, though. It's screaming to be set free.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aeglus
Not really MC but I won't have much excuse to wear a suit for a month and I figure I may as well see reactions from the other side.

I like it. You even make the cropped trousers look pretty good, which is not something I thought possible.

Blue Challenge/First pictures on this board ever.

Well done on taking the plunge. The suit jacket is straining a bit at the top button; try unbuttoning it. I suspect it may roll nicely to about 2.5 at least.

Originally Posted by PandArts
Cheers HF! Yeah a nice pair of black cap-toe lace-ups are on my list...may have to wait for my 41st in May however
ffffuuuu.gif

Still can't believe you're in your forties. Looking well for it. Do you keep a scary portrait in the attic?

Originally Posted by Doral
Hello all. I have not posted in about a month due to the fact that my organization had a reduction in force (RIF) and I was one of the 42 people that got released. All is not lost thought. I got my separation package January 18 at 9:00 am. Had a job interview that same day at 11:00 am and I just got notified today that I was hired and I will be heading to Abu Dhabi in the U.A.E. the first week in March.

Congratulations on the rapid turnaround. Hope you enjoy the new job!

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Still can't believe you're in your forties. Looking well for it. Do you keep a scary portrait in the attic?

Shhhhh!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're definitely on the same shoe wavelength today; I had the same thought.

Coming from you too, conservatism is pretty funny indeed.

Blue Challenge/First pictures on this board ever. I will have to have my wife take pics for me when I get home, I really underestimated how hard it is to take good pictures!

Be gentle!

dscn0937.jpg

dscn0946l.jpg

Not a bad combo at all. Unbutton that top button...that is a 3/2 roll, not a hard 3 buttoner.

Mike

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done on taking the plunge. The suit jacket is straining a bit at the top button; try unbuttoning it. I suspect it may roll nicely to about 2.5 at least.

Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Not bad, Achilles. The detail shots surprised me with quality I didn't expect from the first pic.

Unbutton that top jacket button, though. It's screaming to be set free.

Originally Posted by MBreinin

Not a bad combo at all. Unbutton that top button...that is a 3/2 roll, not a hard 3 buttoner.

Mike

Point taken, the top button shall be unbuttoned
laugh.gif

Thank you for the pointers
smile.gif

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm fine with people being too nice to criticize today's fit (I admit, I forced the issue a bit). The suit is a machine washable/cotton suit that seems to fit in the shoulder area, but not around the waist so much. My question to the group is two-fold: 1) Do people typically get these altered, or, since I bought it used for a song, should I just scrap it altogether? 2) If the answer to 1 is "keep it" is the inevitable wrinkling an acceptible part of the look? Fire away!
DSC_6088.JPG

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
I'm fine with people being too nice to criticize today's fit (I admit, I forced the issue a bit). The suit is a machine washable/cotton suit that seems to fit in the shoulder area, but not around the waste so much. My question to the group is two-fold:

1) Do people typically get these altered, or, since I bought it used for a song, should I just scrap it altogether?

2) If the answer to 1 is "keep it" is the inevitable wrinkling an acceptible part of the look?

Fire away!

DSC_6088.JPG

I think your pic is making it difficult for most to ascertain what is really going on. And, yes, those suits are supposed to wrinkle...it is part of the charm. There is nothing wrong with getting it altered, if you like it and want to keep it.

Is it a Haspel?

Also, that is a summer suit in most parts.

Mike

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think your pic is making it difficult for most to ascertain what is really going on. And, yes, those suits are supposed to wrinkle...it is part of the charm. There is nothing wrong with getting it altered, if you like it and want to keep it.

Is it a Haspel?

Also, that is a summer suit in most parts.

Mike

It's a BB. Yes, it's a summer suit, and it's 36F outside and raining, which means I should get some kind of prize for reckless pursuit of a Friday challenge. My nuts fell off when I got to work.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
It's a BB. Yes, it's a summer suit, and it's 36F outside and raining, which means I should get some kind of prize for reckless pursuit of a Friday challenge. My nuts fell off when I got to work.

LOL. My suit is not exactly a heavyweight either. Also around 36F here...I wore an overcoat and a hat today. Nuts, intact.
smile.gif

Mike

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Coming from you two, conservatism is pretty funny indeed.

I'm a firm believer in being conservatively histrionic.
tongue.gif

It's all about the harmony of an outfit. Does it sing as an ensemble? oldog/oldtrix does this brilliantly, for example, probably better than anyone else in the thread IMO when it comes to incorporating eccentric flamboyant content into a conservative form. No-one would ever accuse him of being conservative, but his looks (usually) balance the playfulness/fun/insanity beautifully within a tailored whole.
smile.gif

That's what I'd like to be able to do as well and consistently as he does, and what naturally appeals to me: histrionic/eccentric content, tailored/conservative form.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in being conservatively histrionic.
tongue.gif

It's all about the harmony of an outfit. Does it sing as an ensemble? oldog/oldtrix does this brilliantly, for example, probably better than anyone else in the thread IMO when it comes to incorporating eccentric flamboyant content into a conservative form. No-one would ever accuse him of being conservative, but his looks (usually) balance the playfulness/fun/insanity beautifully within a tailored whole.
smile.gif

That's what I'd like to be able to do as well and consistently as he does, and what naturally appeals to me: histrionic/eccentric content, tailored/conservative form.

I hear you, HF, and I understand your viewpoint and perspective. When I chose these shoes, they were chosen because I wanted some pop. I would have actually gone with my light tan Borrelli suede longwings today, if it had not been pissing rain. I eyed both the deep brown and the black Cordwainers, but in the end I went with these specifically because I wanted something that would take the fit in a different direction . Like I said, this fit was inspired by many of the Italian fits that I so admire. The blue on blue on blue with a shoe that stands out. Maybe I failed, maybe I succeeded. I dont' know myself.
lol8[1].gif

However, being a Challenge, I wanted to give something a little out of the box a shot. Also, IRL, I think it sings better than is coming over in the pics.

Mike

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The blue on blue on blue with a shoe that stands out. Maybe I failed, maybe I succeeded. I dont' know myself.
lol8[1].gif

However, being a Challenge, I wanted to give something a little out of the box a shot. Also, IRL, I think it sings better than is coming over in the pics.
Mike

That was may thinking when I opted for my Magnannis over my black Chelseas and IRL I think they look better than they do in the pics. I've always liked that colour shoe with a navy or royal blue suit. And those boots you brought to the table are
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads