• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2011 NY Yankees thread

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
why not? everyone either loves or hates the damn yanks so enough fodder for everyone!
laugh.gif

so now that Andy Pettitte is officially retiring, who will step up bartolo colon??? we need a big time pitcher!

soxpats

Reaction score
They are going to struggle this season. BIG TIME.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eddievddr10
why not? everyone either loves or hates the damn yanks so enough fodder for everyone!
laugh.gif

so now that Andy Pettitte is officially retiring, who will step up bartolo colon??? we need a big time pitcher!

I hope he makes it to the Hall before Schilling, probably won't because of roids, but overall a much better pitcher.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soxpats
As much as I hate to admit it I think that this is going to be rather true. 3rd place, at best.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
As much as I hate to admit it I think that this is going to be rather true. 3rd place, at best.

cheers.gif

guster

Reaction score

I don't believe the Yankees will struggle like people think.

Yankees bullpen got much stronger. That is a incredible bullpen that will win a lot of games for them. That lineup is still killer. Does it have some question marks - yup - but so do the Red Sox. Yankees are not sone yet either. They will get some other starting pitching and you know in mid season they will be top team for the best talent available. Yankees have good pitching in the minors. Might be too early for them but they have major assets available for a trade.

The e Rays are still loaded in minors and still have a good staff. They need bullpen help and they should be OK.

Sure Red Sox had injuries last year but they also lost their 2 best hitters over the course of the '09 season for this season. Maybe Beltre could not repeat what he did in'09 but that is a lot of production they needed to replace with him and Martinez. They should have kept Martinez but then maybe they would not have had the money for the other 2? Their catching? Veritek was awful hitter when he was full time and Saltimacchia has been bad at major league level. Drew had his worst season and now a year older. Lester and Bucholtz were great last year but rest of the staff was avaerage at best. Which Ortiz will show up? Does Paplebon continue his downward slide. Jenks is nice addition but has been on downward trend for last few years. People excited about Bard but an unproven closer if Pap goes or contnues downward slide. Does Ellsbury break a rib or get a hangnail and miss the entire season again? The entire Red Sox infield will be coming off surgery.

I am not a Yankees fan but lets face it - they were better than the Red Sox last year and they got stronger with exception of Petite retiring. Red Sox fans are being too over confident to think they will walk away with it and the Yankees will not be there battling them all season -and in the playoffs.

soxpats

Reaction score
Originally Posted by guster
I don't believe the Yankees will struggle like people think.

Yankees bullpen got much stronger. That is a incredible bullpen that will win a lot of games for them. That lineup is still killer. Does it have some question marks - yup - but so do the Red Sox. Yankees are not sone yet either. They will get some other starting pitching and you know in mid season they will be top team for the best talent available. Yankees have good pitching in the minors. Might be too early for them but they have major assets available for a trade.

The e Rays are still loaded in minors and still have a good staff. They need bullpen help and they should be OK.

Sure Red Sox had injuries last year but they also lost their 2 best hitters over the course of the '09 season for this season. Maybe Beltre could not repeat what he did in'09 but that is a lot of production they needed to replace with him and Martinez. They should have kept Martinez but then maybe they would not have had the money for the other 2? Their catching? Veritek was awful hitter when he was full time and Saltimacchia has been bad at major league level. Drew had his worst season and now a year older. Lester and Bucholtz were great last year but rest of the staff was avaerage at best. Which Ortiz will show up? Does Paplebon continue his downward slide. Jenks is nice addition but has been on downward trend for last few years. People excited about Bard but an unproven closer if Pap goes or contnues downward slide. Does Ellsbury break a rib or get a hangnail and miss the entire season again? The entire Red Sox infield will be coming off surgery.

I am not a Yankees fan but lets face it - they were better than the Red Sox last year and they got stronger with exception of Petite retiring. Red Sox fans are being too over confident to think they will walk away with it and the Yankees will not be there battling them all season -and in the playoffs.

Time will tell. I will take Sox starting pitching over the Yankees this year any day of the week. Jeter at shortstop will be painful to watch although rest of infield is strong. I think it will be interesting season to say the least. I'm a Sox fan but I don't think they are an automatic run away. I do however love what they have done this offseason.

guster

Reaction score
Time will tell. I will take Sox starting pitching over the Yankees this year any day of the week. Jeter at shortstop will be painful to watch although rest of infield is strong. I think it will be interesting season to say the least. I'm a Sox fan but I don't think they are an automatic run away. I do however love what they have done this offseason.

I agree - Strong offseason for the RedSox. Would have been over the top good if they had just signed Martinez.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i still think we pull off getting king felix midseason, just gotta tread water till then

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yeah, maybe. I wonder if Seattle will ever get it together.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
I hope he makes it to the Hall before Schilling, probably won't because of roids, but overall a much better pitcher.

Schilling's an ass.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Schilling's an ass.

its true. even us boston fans cringe when shilling speaks. the weird underreported angle about schilling is how he has "attention deficit disorder". ADD entailing regular use of methamphetamine based drugs throughout his career.

but hey if its doctor approved and MLB OK'ed its all good.

but since its a yankee's thread its awesome that the yankees whiffed on signing schilling and signed the vaunted Javier Vasquez instead. Actually I think the back story was that the Sawx wanted vasquez and the yankees "evil empire-d" and trumped the offer first hence the redsox pursuit of Schilling.

the yankess are actually likable when they are "underdogs". still a $200,000,000.00 underdog is hard to root for.

guster

Reaction score
Liked your post until the end... Unless you live in NY area, grew up there or a just one of those fans that like Cowboys/Yankees/Lakers because it's stylish, the Yankees are never likeable as long as they are owned by that family!

Hating the Yankees - does not apply to hating Jeter - tough to hate that guy that plays the game the right way.

Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
its true. even us boston fans cringe when shilling speaks. the weird underreported angle about schilling is how he has "attention deficit disorder". ADD entailing regular use of methamphetamine based drugs throughout his career.

but hey if its doctor approved and MLB OK'ed its all good.

but since its a yankee's thread its awesome that the yankees whiffed on signing schilling and signed the vaunted Javier Vasquez instead. Actually I think the back story was that the Sawx wanted vasquez and the yankees "evil empire-d" and trumped the offer first hence the redsox pursuit of Schilling.

the yankess are actually likable when they are "underdogs". still a $200,000,000.00 underdog is hard to root for.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeter and Rivera are first ballot HOFers, I can't even think of anyone who's played for Boston (and is associated with the team) in the last 10-15 years you could say the same about.

troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
Jeter and Rivera are first ballot HOFers, I can't even think of anyone who's played for Boston (and is associated with the team) in the last 10-15 years you could say the same about. troll troll troll troll troll troll troll troll
pedro martinez.... 1st ballot as a motherfucker.
baseball_quotes_8.jpg
who do you think is more of a HOF-amer pettit or mussina?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads