• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EBTX66

Reaction score
They had the same problem. They were a very light tan but the finish was very shiny and it didn't look right. I tried to antique them but the dark polish just migrated into the creases and perforations. I took them to my local cobbler and he dyed them for $23. I take it that just about all of them do it, but you might want to look around because mine has a limited selection of colors. He told me that stripping the dark polish out wouldn't be a problem so I think yours will work. I'm just amazed at how new the re-dye made them look. I'll probably do it in the future to others just to renew their original color.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
For reference, here's the Florsheim Imperials I mentioned.

blog1_.......jpg

Snagged them at an estate sale this summer with two other pairs of FI's, including the following boots, for $2 a pair. My lucky day.

blog1_shoes4.jpg

Considering my minimal investment, I think I'll inquire about the dyeing next time I'm at my cobblers. Thanks for the info.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mistermidwester
For reference, here's the Florsheim Imperials I mentioned.

blog1_.......jpg

Snagged them at an estate sale this summer with two other pairs of FI's, including the following boots, for $2 a pair. My lucky day.

blog1_shoes4.jpg

Considering my minimal investment, I think I'll inquire about the dyeing next time I'm at my cobblers. Thanks for the info.

What's an estate sale and how does it work?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A huge garage sale, usually held within the home and has most of the home's contents (home owner's possessions) for sale. Usually is the result of a death or extreme down-sizing. . I love them personally, but a lot of the time I find someone has bugged the hell out of the people/person running the sale to let them in before everyone else has arrived, sometimes even the night before the sale opens and cleans out the good stuff.

andrew96

Reaction score
I made a big haul today, this was in two shop hits

2 sets of sterling/onyx studs(no maker's mark)
1 set onyx/sterling Tuxedo cufflinks(matching both stud sets) $7 for everything

2 brand new(with tags) Brooks Brothers ties $2.50 each

a brand new(with tags in box) Hugo Boss Cummerbund/bowtie set $10

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amadar

Picked this tie up a few days ago....anybody have any idea what it is? Beautiful thick silk in a cool pink color with gold and silver fleur de lis pattern. There are no labels anywhere, and i cant find a stitch loose that would signify a missing label (apart from the "cucita a mano" pictured). Self-tipped, feels really well made.

IMG00240-20110203-1059.jpg

"CUCITA A MANO" is Italian for "made by hand".

amadar

Reaction score
^^^^^^^thank you. I did realize this, I was hoping that someone would recognize the specific "made by hand" tag and associate it with a tie producer.
plain.gif

951socal

Reaction score
Karl Lagerfield Tie
What is this? its actually a really kick ass plaid patten that reminds me of wool (but it is silk)

Loro Piana Silk and Cashmere shirt/cardigan

and a TV since my old CRT just went out last week, i picked up a 15" phillips/maganavox for $89
Going to get a wal mount for it so my desktop/work space has the 3 monitors and the TVwhich can be used as a foruth ! nd i just got a pretty badass video card so it can do it with ease

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
A huge garage sale, usually held within the home and has most of the home's contents (home owner's possessions) for sale. Usually is the result of a death or extreme down-sizing. . I love them personally, but a lot of the time I find someone has bugged the hell out of the people/person running the sale to let them in before everyone else has arrived, sometimes even the night before the sale opens and cleans out the good stuff.

When my mom would have garage sales this one lady would start knocking on our door at 4 AM. She would hang out and bug my mom as we were setting up for the sale. She would make ridiculous lowball offers on everything and my mom would sell her a bunch of stuff just to get rid of her. Turns out she owned one of those "antique" (re: junk) stores that are so popular in small towns. This was the 70's. I just realized: that lady may have been Patient Zero of the whole Flipper pandemic!
laugh.gif

MacDaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
"CUCITA A MANO" is Italian for "made by hand".
Actually it means "Hand sewn".Handmade would be "Fatto a mano".

JKMWCL

Reaction score
Just back from a 50% sale at a local higher end thrift store. Came out with a Aquascutum Suit ($25) that will fit perfectly with a little alterations and a pair of AEs ($15) that fit like a glove and will be proper after a nice clieaning!

andrew96

Reaction score
A big haul today, all basically new, for $15. I only hit two shops!

051-2.jpg

050-2.jpg

048-2.jpg

047-3.jpg

045-2.jpg

044-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads