• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbuskirk

Reaction score
I've been wondering whether people tucked them back, despite that the Cordovan isn't finished on the underside. It doesn't bug you?

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Leffot strap worth it? It's extremely extremely expensive for a strip of leather.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benjamin831
I finally got my Sinn back from repair after a 2 month wait! Apparently the axel holding the rotor snapped.

How much did they charge you for service? 399 Euro?
ffffuuuu.gif

KtownGreg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vbuskirk
I've been wondering whether people tucked them back, despite that the Cordovan isn't finished on the underside. It doesn't bug you?

Yes, later in the day I tucked it in the opposite direction. Better look.

Originally Posted by benjamin831
Is the Leffot strap worth it? It's extremely extremely expensive for a strip of leather.

Yes, and agreed.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
CSCoHammers7, you aren't gonna much anything in gold within your price range, but $2500 would get you a used JLC Reverso Classic in steel, some Longines models, used Seamasters, an Air-King and a leather strap, maybe an old IWC portofino from 90's.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. The desire for a gold case at under $2K is going to really limit choice.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have my heart set on an IWC Portugieser Automatic Ref. 3531 (My Holy Grail Watch) but they're difficult to find or way too expensive. Especially since I was recently married and need to buy a new house.
11genf182.jpg

Ag229487

Reaction score
I have a vintage Omega speedmaster that is about 26 years old. I have had it overhauled once before, about 7 years ago. They charged $600 for this.

I just took my watch in last week becaues the bezel popped off and the crystal is a little cracked. They are claiming it needs another overhaul.

Am I getting ripped off or is this reasonable? Is the overhaul necessary? They claim Omega is telling them this. To me it runs fine; I'd be happy with just a fixed bezel and glass.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ag229487
Am I getting ripped off or is this reasonable? Is the overhaul necessary? They claim Omega is telling them this. To me it runs fine; I'd be happy with just a fixed bezel and glass.

Maybe, depends on how much the bezel cost...here's a link to OEM bezels.

Just to give you an idea, my watch guy replaced my vintage 1959 Omega with an OEM crystal, gasket,oil/cleaned and machined a mainspring for $225.

Ag229487

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cuttingboard

Just to give you an idea, my watch guy replaced my vintage 1959 Omega with an OEM crystal, gasket,oil/cleaned and machined a mainspring for $225.

I would pay that gladly. I just want my watch back already!

I think I'm getting jerked. Plus, the bezel is not broken, it just popped off. Can't they just re-attach it?

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would pay that gladly. I just want my watch back already! I think I'm getting jerked. Plus, the bezel is not broken, it just popped off. Can't they just re-attach it?
Yeah...I would they would be able to screw or pop it back on. Where did you send it? New Jersey?

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alright guys, now that I've got a few watches in my stable, I need something nice to put them in. So, recommend me a watch box please. Criteria:

-window to see inside
-no winder (pointless for me)
-fits at least 6 watched (hey, gotta plan for the future!)
-not too expensive

Any suggestions?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a vintage Omega speedmaster that is about 26 years old. I have had it overhauled once before, about 7 years ago. They charged $600 for this.

I just took my watch in last week becaues the bezel popped off and the crystal is a little cracked. They are claiming it needs another overhaul.

What is the current estimate? $600 7 years ago for only an overhaul seems high to me. But, yes, if the last overhaul was 7 years ago I would recommend one at this time.

Right. That's more like it. I had clean/oil, new OEM crystal, new crown/pin, new gasket done last year on a 1958 Seamaster for around $250.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Alright guys, now that I've got a few watches in my stable, I need something nice to put them in. So, recommend me a watch box please. Criteria:

-window to see inside
-no winder (pointless for me)
-fits at least 6 watched (hey, gotta plan for the future!)
-not too expensive

Any suggestions?

Something from here maybe?

CSCoHammers7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
^ I'm in the same boat (price,small wrist, age.) I love my Seiko 5 Auto for daily wear, incredibly reliable and unbelievably inexpensive (I got mine for $50!) If you're looking for dressier, than I would go with a classic American watch a la Lord Elgin, Bulova, Hamilton, Benrus, Gruen...etc. Avoid anything larger than a 40mm case.

Originally Posted by Kappelan
I can recommend to you guys something like these Longines

http://www.authenticwatches.com/long...l26764783.html

http://www.authenticwatches.com/long...l26734783.html

Originally Posted by dsgNYC
I'm also looking for a nice, first real watch for less than $2K. I really like a lot of Longines' Master Collection. Here's one that may interest you:

Flagship Heritage - L4.795.4.72.2

Rd85o.png

Tissot Heritage Visodate Automatic is good bang for the buck - $650
tissot-visodate-1957-automatic-2.jpg

Originally Posted by impolyt_one
CSCoHammers7, you aren't gonna much anything in gold within your price range, but $2500 would get you a used JLC Reverso Classic in steel, some Longines models, used Seamasters, an Air-King and a leather strap, maybe an old IWC portofino from 90's.

Originally Posted by venessian
I agree. The desire for a gold case at under $2K is going to really limit choice.

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys! I really like the Longines' Master Collection now that I look at it and they might be the most accessible for me at this time for what I want. Cuttingboard, I've heard Tissot are good entry level from some friends too, so that's still an option for me as well if I want to get this started sooner than later. impolyt_one, thanks for that direction too! I suppose an extra 500 can't hurt for something that (should) last me a long time
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads