• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I'm not asking for advice, I just want to talk about the positives and negatives of the company, I'll make my own decision. You make great points.

In the northeast at least.

That's a good point, but mind you their at two different ends of this, one is for cable TV the other is a better cell phone signal.

LOL, I agree with your btw p2, but I thought it would be fun to talk about stocks instead of Jim Cramer and Warren Buffett.

You know as an investor that the dividend is actually larger at VZ and probably more resistant to change in a negative way.

I checked into Einhorn, he has interesting reasoning, sounds pretty thought out and around what I've been thinking.

One of the reasons I like AT&T is because of their growth in China. I dont directly invest in china because I dont feel comfortable with them yet, however I do like American companies growing in China.

Just wondering, wat exactly is AT&T doing in China and how much revenue are they getting from foreign operations? I couldn't find it in their 10-k.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...28-704749.html
BEIJING (Dow Jones)--AT&T Inc. (T) would welcome regulatory changes to boost competition in China and other markets in Asia, and it would review boosting its stake in its joint venture in China if regulations changed to allow it, Bernard Yee, the company's vice president for the Asia-Pacific region, said Friday. "We would welcome any regulation, regulatory movement that would introduce further competition" in Asian markets, Yee said in an interview. He declined to name specific areas where AT&T hopes to see regulatory changes. The remarks come as industry groups and officials from the U.S. and other countries push China to adopt more market reforms. U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke last week urged China to further open its markets to help address trade imbalances between it and the U.S. AT&T has a 25% stake in a telecom services joint venture in China named Shanghai Symphony Telecommunications Co., also called Unisiti. China Telecom Corp. has a 60% stake in the joint venture, and Shanghai Information Investment Inc. a 15% stake, which was launched commercially in 2002. When asked if AT&T would like to increase its stake in the joint venture, Yee said: "That's governed by regulatory (rules), so if the regulatory environment changed a bit, we would review that." Yee said AT&T's revenue in the Asia-Pacific region excluding Japan grew 22% last year. He declined to provide a specific amount. Yee said AT&T has about 1,500 employees in the Asia-Pacific region excluding India and is adding staff in the application services area, but declined to give a target headcount.

joelmthw

Reaction score
im liking XIN and EGLE right now. will prolly buy a couple hundred of each when the market opens. im holding SGI right now and its up 25% since i got in. =D

mikeman

Reaction score
Not exactly a stock, but anyone invest in silver? I bought some about a year ago when it was $19/oz. Thinking about picking up some more. Wonder where it will go in the next few years. I think it could see $50 easily.

joelmthw

Reaction score
i got in on a silver etf SLV. im playin the options tho. im looking into Palladium (SWC). i think it can really take off soon

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikeman
Not exactly a stock, but anyone invest in silver? I bought some about a year ago when it was $19/oz. Thinking about picking up some more. Wonder where it will go in the next few years. I think it could see $50 easily.

Originally Posted by joelmthw
i got in on a silver etf SLV. im playin the options tho. im looking into Palladium (SWC). i think it can really take off soon

I got into silver at about $13/ounce a couple years ago. Nothing big, just 60 silver eagles and some junk silver. Also bought gold and platinum (platinum sold a few months ago). I actually bought some of the gold off ebay a couple years ago for more than it was selling at the dealers, but with the bing cashback at the time, my final purchase price was about $100 less than the buy price at the time.
teacha.gif

Will be getting more bullion in the near future to diversify a portfolio as well. Have been watching SLV for some time and plan on trading it in the future when I feel the time is right (options as well).

Anyone been following $VIX? The last 2 times $VIX was below 20 and had tight Bollinger band contraction like today coincided with the last 2 corrections, even though it had been below 20 for years prior to '07. I'm planning on increasing my positions in put options and shorting in the next few weeks.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by joelmthw
im liking XIN and EGLE right now. will prolly buy a couple hundred of each when the market opens. im holding SGI right now and its up 25% since i got in. =D

Been watching EGLE as well. Will probably order some call options tomorrow or within the next few days.

mikeman

Reaction score
^ Nice, silver did awesome over the past year. Yeah, The silver ETFs are exploding now, too. Speaking of ETFs I have been searching around for something that does well. What do you guys think of TQQQ, its a leveraged ETF, so it could be really good or bad. Open to any other ETF that you would suggest or to look into.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nice, silver did awesome over the past year. Yeah, The silver ETFs are exploding now, too. Speaking of ETFs I have been searching around for something that does well. What do you guys think of TQQQ, its a leveraged ETF, so it could be really good or bad. Open to any other ETF that you would suggest or to look into.

Thanks. I've got some holdings in SH right now (options). Only because I'm bearish on the market in the coming months and as a means to diversify against call options. It shorts the S&P 500.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out PSLV. Sprott silver trust. The trust can be converted to physical silver if you so desire. has done really well, good pick up in the $11 range

joelmthw

Reaction score
shorting DMD right now. should be great in 2 weeks.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should have got into OREX a couple of days ago when news of their FDA rejection hit. I could have entered at $2.50 and sold at $3.50 today.

joelmthw

Reaction score
any picks for stocks this week? im playin this market simulation contest and i need to win! lookin for some more ideas =D

mikeman

Reaction score
Nice day in the market!

Anyway, Im 23 and have a 401k through my work. Would it be a good idea to convert it to a roth 401k or just leave it, as is?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Two stocks I'm haunting and what to see what your opinions are, SF:

GSK and RDS.A

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads