• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New shoes, did I do good?

Txmtbr1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my names Lee. Excuse my ignorance when it comes to fashion but I'm learning. I'm trying to venture from my handmade cowboy boots (I know how everyone feels about boots, lol) , but I'm from Texas so it's hard. Seriously though, Ive been searching for some dress shoes and came across these. Both pair are brand new, and I picked em up from Craigslist for $35.00 a pair. The first pair is a Alfred Sargent and the second is made by Loake. The seller had another pair of Barkers that looked exactly like the Loakes but I opted for the Loakes. I might go back and buy the others, but didn't take enough cash. She said she would hold them and for $35.00 new, they seem like a good deal. So did I do ok?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AncientSoul

Reaction score
What's the penalty in Texas for possession of stolen property?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Electric chair, if you are also marsupialed.

bjornb17

Reaction score
The picture is too big.
Can you please post
A smaller one?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Txmtbr1
Hello everyone, my names Lee. Excuse my ignorance when it comes to fashion but I'm learning. I'm trying to venture from my handmade cowboy boots (I know how everyone feels about boots, lol) , but I'm from Texas so it's hard. Seriously though, Ive been searching for some dress shoes and came across these. Both pair are brand new, and I picked em up from Craigslist for $35.00 a pair. The first pair is a Alfred Sargent and the second is made by Loake. The seller had another pair of Barkers that looked exactly like the Loakes but I opted for the Loakes. I might go back and buy the others, but didn't take enough cash. She said she would hold them and for $35.00 new, they seem like a good deal. So did I do ok? Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I hate those shoe trees. I am afraid the springs will snap and hit me

Txmtbr1

Reaction score
I'm having a hard time posting the photo. I thought it looked to small.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go pick them up! You are practically stealing those!

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by discreteuniverse
bjornb17: Is that Alizee in your pic?

An old Alizee at that.

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Txmtbr1
Hello everyone, my names Lee. Excuse my ignorance when it comes to fashion but I'm learning. I'm trying to venture from my handmade cowboy boots (I know how everyone feels about boots, lol) , but I'm from Texas so it's hard. Seriously though, Ive been searching for some dress shoes and came across these. Both pair are brand new, and I picked em up from Craigslist for $35.00 a pair. The first pair is a Alfred Sargent and the second is made by Loake. The seller had another pair of Barkers that looked exactly like the Loakes but I opted for the Loakes. I might go back and buy the others, but didn't take enough cash. She said she would hold them and for $35.00 new, they seem like a good deal. So did I do ok?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's hard to tell due to the picture size, but if the Loake's are the 1880 line, then they run $200.00+ if you puchase them from Great Britain, more if you purchase them domestically. Don't know about the Alfred Sargent's, but they're usually more expensive than the Loake's--at least, from the models I've seen.

So, yeah, I'd say you got a killer deal especially since they are brand new. As such, providing they fit you well and you have the budget for it, I would definitely go back to pick up the rest.

Your story reminds me of another event that happened years ago (way before the internet). I'm not 100% sure of the detalis, but I remember reading about it in our local paper at the time. The story was pretty close to this:

A gal listed a Porsche 911 in the paper for $100.00. Well, some high schooler saw it listed in the Want Ads of their local paper and figured it was either a misprint on the price or it was just parts for a 911. Nonethelss, he went to check it out. As it turned out, it was new and had a MSRP of $50,000.00. True to her ad, she sold it to him for the hundred bucks.

Apparently, the husband took off with his mistress and told the wife to sell all their stuff and send him a check for half of what she got. She mailed him $50.00 for the car. Unfortunately for the wife, the judge made her cover the difference between what she sold the car for and what the market value was. Bad for her, but great for the kid.

The moral of this story? Buy the other shoes quickly before the husband gets home.
fing02[1].gif

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be able to sell those for between $150-200 either here or eBay, so yea, it's a great deal.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably a steal but you decide by whom.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, sounds stolen to me.

And the guestion should be: "Did I do well?" Good means that you did something good like volunteer at a homeless shelter.

I know, its a Texas thang.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by discreteuniverse
bjornb17: Is that Alizee in your pic?
Heck yeah. The topic of this thread has changed and this is now the official Alizee thread.
alizcd01.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads