• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yankees - how/why do you do it?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Why the hell do you live up North? For f**k's sake - the miserable snow, havng to buy all that gear, having to stay inside most of the winter, having to put on six layers when you go out. Who the hell volunteers to live like that AND pay more taxes than the rest of the country? Do you just get used to the cold, or is it a deal where that's all you know? I spent a year in MT and North Dakota and I loved the (brief) summer. But when October/November hit, I couldn't believe people lived like that. When January came, I fully realized why everyone up there drank their faces off. There's nothing else to do in the wintertime.

It's 54 degrees here in Florida and I have the space heater on.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
You live in a bumblefuck city. I live in Chicago. Ergo, I win regardless of weather situation. THAT is why the Yankees do it. Yankee cities are much better than the south.

bullethead

Reaction score
when it's really hot and humid and i am much more miserable then when it's cold.
Having four seasons let's me appreciate what the best of each season can offer.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
You live in a bumblefuck city. I live in Chicago. Ergo, I win regardless of weather situation. THAT is why the Yankees do it. Yankee cities are much better than the south.

Yeah, lots more women and jobs, amirite?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Yeah, lots more women and jobs, amirite?

ffffuuuu.gif

Milpool

Reaction score
I've spent some time living in the heat and it was miserable. I had to dramatically slow down my usual pace. I'm not sure how anyone could do that year-round. I much prefer the cold to the heat.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Southern summers (in Texas, that would be eight months of the year) suck ass, but at least going outside is feasible. After four days of -2 wind chill and ice, I've realized that I could never live somewhere that this is the norm. (OTOH, if I didn't have to drive, and I actually owned basic winter necessities, maybe it would be different.)

The best of all worlds is the west coast, but I can't bring myself to pay $1200 a month for a studio in the Tenderloin and I don't know anyone in Portland.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the change in seasons recharges your brain and gives perspective. I've lived where its constantly warm and its easy to get lazy (mentally and physically).

I love running in the snow lined streets, doing errands in NYC winters, just walking around in the cold. Its a shard experience for everyone. Plus spring and summer are nice too. I like the changes.

Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Why the hell do you live up North? For f**k's sake - the miserable snow, havng to buy all that gear, having to stay inside most of the winter, having to put on six layers when you go out. Who the hell volunteers to live like that AND pay more taxes than the rest of the country? Do you just get used to the cold, or is it a deal where that's all you know? I spent a year in MT and North Dakota and I loved the (brief) summer. But when October/November hit, I couldn't believe people lived like that. When January came, I fully realized why everyone up there drank their faces off. There's nothing else to do in the wintertime.

It's 54 degrees here in Florida and I have the space heater on.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The true North, i.e Cold Lake, Alberta and the James Bay, are miserable. The Northeast, where many of us live, is only bad for a handful of days every year and the rest of the time it varies from 'livable" to awesome. One day of summer in Montreal is better than thirty years living in Birmingham, Little Rock or some other crappy Southern city.

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
Southern summers (in Texas, that would be eight months of the year) suck ass, but at least going outside is feasible. After four days of -2 wind chill and ice, I've realized that I could never live somewhere that this is the norm. (OTOH, if I didn't have to drive, and I actually owned basic winter necessities, maybe it would be different.)

The best of all worlds is the west coast, but I can't bring myself to pay $1200 a month for a studio in the Tenderloin and I don't know anyone in Portland.

+1. You can go outside in 95 degree heat and be perfectly comfortable if there is a pool or a lake nearby...which there generally is in Texas. So I have no issues with the Texas summers, and honestly the heat is only uncomfortable in July and August anyway.

So I live in a house that's 1/3 of its equivalent in Cali, which gives me plenty of money to own a vacation property in the mountains. Best of both worlds.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, just imagine if you lived in a REAL city, though.

Hannerhan

Reaction score

Have you ever been to Austin or Houston or Nashville or Charlotte or Denver? "The South" just seems a little broad a brush to use here. Sure there are plenty of "bumblefuck" cities down here, but if the demographic trends of the last 50 years continue, there are going to be a lot of really awesome ghost towns in the North by the time I retire.

And you can't just completely discount the weather because you live in an awesome city (which you clearly do). The weather still has to factor somewhat.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannerhan
Have you ever been to Austin or Houston or Nashville or Charlotte or Denver? "The South" just seems a little broad a brush to use here. Sure there are plenty of "bumblefuck" cities down here, but if the demographic trends of the last 50 years continue, there are going to be a lot of really awesome ghost towns in the North by the time I retire.

And you can't just completely discount the weather because you live in an awesome city (which you clearly do). The weather still has to factor somewhat.

wat

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannerhan
And you can't just completely discount the weather because you live in an awesome city (which you clearly do).
wrong. he lives in CHICAGO. what made you think he lived in Los Angeles?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads