• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abstraktmind
I bought a suit off of SF, the measurements to the jacket were perfect, but the pants were 35 and I'm a 32. He said it could be tailored to fit, is it possible or did I just take a loss?

It's impossible to tell you conclusively in this context. Have the pants ever been altered previously? How much space is there between the back pockets?

Honestly your best bet is to go to a tailor and ask if they can be taken in.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland
Often also called a 'mitered' cuff.

I really like that on barrel cuffs. Been choosing it on my MTM shirts when I don't get double cuffs, I think it looks a bit more dressed than traditional square or rounded.

Abstraktmind

Reaction score
Originally Posted by inlandisland
It's impossible to tell you conclusively in this context. Have the pants ever been altered previously? How much space is there between the back pockets?

Honestly your best bet is to go to a tailor and ask if they can be taken in.

I think that was the size he bought with the suit. But i just want to know if its posssible to turn. 35 to a 32, not judt waist, but also taper the legs as well?

timpdx

Reaction score
First post here, but figured I would get a better answer. Tar. What do I do about a small tar stain that I just got on a cotton dress shirt? Go figure, I am the guy who just wore his first tie to his casual job this week and of course I get a spot of tar, hopefully dressing well is not cursed for me
plain.gif
Reading on the web I see all sorts of "remedies" from just giving it to the dry cleaners, to nail polish remover, dabbing it out.... any advice? great forum, longtime lurker

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by timpdx
First post here, but figured I would get a better answer.

Tar. What do I do about a small tar stain that I just got on a cotton dress shirt?

Go figure, I am the guy who just wore his first tie to his casual job this week and of course I get a spot of tar, hopefully dressing well is not cursed for me
plain.gif

Reading on the web I see all sorts of "remedies" from just giving it to the dry cleaners, to nail polish remover, dabbing it out....

any advice?

great forum, longtime lurker

You need to chemically break up the tar. I've seen WD-40 recommended for such use, but I've never tried it. Stuff like naptha will probably work, but when you're buying that, remember that it's used as lighter fluid. Hell, you can buy lighter fluid straight up and use that.

I would just bring it to a dry cleaner to have them launder it. They'll have stuff on hand and experience.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Four-in-hand for all.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Abstraktmind
I think that was the size he bought with the suit. But i just want to know if its posssible to turn. 35 to a 32, not judt waist, but also taper the legs as well?

How much are you willing to spend? In theory the pants can be totally taken apart and recut. It's a lot more expensive then just making the waist a little smaller.

So best take it to a tailor and see how much work it'll really take. Possible yes but until the person doing the work looks at it you'll never know if it makes sense.

PBristolJr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Four-in-hand for all.

That's what I've been doing, but it seems the older crowd prefers the half windsor for some reason.

dasai

Reaction score
I recently ordered a pair of moleskins from Scotland (three cheers for no VAT outside the EU!). They came today. Aside from some ambivalence about the Lovat color I went with (they are greener than in the images on the website), there is a very small fray in the fabric on the back, almost like a moth hole on a suit. (Sorry, no picture at the moment; camera needs charging.) Should I bother sending them back to get them replaced with a fresh pair, or just get the hole patched when I go to the tailor's to have the hems taken up? And also, what the hell do I wear with light grey-green pants?

gladiator

Reaction score
question about my jackets. All the jackets I purchased, after 6 months of wear the bottom starts to fan out and away from my hips/body. Its really annoying, when the jackets were new they were very tapered to my body.

Do I need to dry clean it? Is there any other way to prevent this?

TurboBruce

Reaction score
I'm looking for the name of this pattern:

ieqobw.jpg

Looks a bit like gingham but I'm guessing there's probably a better name for it?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TurboBruce
I'm looking for the name of this pattern:

ieqobw.jpg

Looks a bit like gingham but I'm guessing there's probably a better name for it?

Block check.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads