• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UserName84
XzUFM.png

so tasteless.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
yeah i do the same but maybe its a grad/law school thing. there are a lot of folk semi-formal cuz they work as well as go to class. but just as much folk who wear whatever and bum about

I believe it's an East Coast thing. Every time I visit cities there I notice the local's outfits are likely to contain many semi-formal elements even while doing casual activities. From a West Coast perspective it tends to look a bit stuffy and outdated, like the type of thing that only MBA/finance clowns here would wear.

Originally Posted by A Fellow Linguist
If you're going to class you probably aren't frequenting restaurants with dress codes. Sneakers are fine, as shah said. And for what it's worth, I wear wingtips to class. That or boots or other 'dress' shoes. Sneakers aren't my thing.

Lol. Why are we even having to assure people that "sneakers are fine" to wear to class? Where would this belief that they are not even come from? I've noticed that it's common for many noobs whom come here to initially feel they need to go "more formal" in order to up their style quotient.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1
Lol. Why are we even having to assure people that "sneakers are fine" to wear to class? Where would this belief that they are not even come from? I've noticed that it's common for many noobs whom come here to initially feel they need to go "more formal" in order to up their style quotient.

lol, I know sneakers are fine for class, but I think wingtips are too formal.

Kids look fine wearing boat shoes to class, would bucks be on the same level on the casual/formal scale?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
Jesus ******* Christ why are the words "wingtips" and "formal" even being used in the same goddamn sentence :FU: styleforum is so
facepalm.gif
sometimes.

Go back to MC, old man. AR has a point though: Wingtips are the most casual oxford-y shoe you can buy. And they look great with jeans.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hate when you double wrap the laces on your high tops around your ankle and they ride up off the shoe.... thats what we should really be talking about on a side note a friend of mine called me denim Dan today and i was like
bigstar[1].gif

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike868y
lol, I know sneakers are fine for class, but I think wingtips are too formal.

Kids look fine wearing boat shoes to class, would bucks be on the same level on the casual/formal scale?

lol the reason why^ he is like that is wingtips are traditionally NOT formal and any brogueing on a shoe was actually considered much more casual

as for bucks yeah they would seem more formal than boat shoes but they are actually traditionally casual

its cuz back in the day NO ONE wore sneakers and no one would walk around in flip flops/sandals all around the city/class/shopping/etc

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
Go back to MC, old man.

AR has a point though: Wingtips are the most casual oxford-y shoe you can buy. And they look great with jeans.

honestly did not know that wingtips were informal. regardless, I think I like bucks better.

A Fellow Linguist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BB1

I think you misunderstood my post. I wasn't telling him that sneakers are acceptably un-formal, that's stupid as hell. I'd appreciate the benefit of the doubt, but I realize that this is the internet.

xM.

Reaction score
just found a pair of purple 10 eyelit doc's in my closet that i forgot i had.

no idea what to do with them but im determined to find a way to wear them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads