• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
What does it mean when a seller says that a jacket they're selling is 'fully lined'? Why is it a good thing?

Nb: Is it the same as a suit being fully canvassed? if so, I have the answer to my questions.

Saying a jacket is fully lined is mostly a marketing technique, it doesn't mean it is better, it just means that the whole back, arms and sides have lining. This is not the same thing as fully canvassed. The canvassing is in between the lining and the suit's outer fabric in the front sections of the jacket.

pharris201

Reaction score
Hi
Can anyone ID the coat that Brian Williams is wearing on Nightly news from Cairo?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Saying a jacket is fully lined is mostly a marketing technique, it doesn't mean it is better, it just means that the whole back, arms and sides have lining. This is not the same thing as fully canvassed. The canvassing is in between the lining and the suit's outer fabric in the front sections of the jacket.

In fact, a partially lined jacket may be superior (sorta) to a fully lined one, as the seams and such must be nicely finished because they won't be hidden by lining.

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that sellers of top end sportcoats (e.g. Zegnas, Canalis) on SF and elsewhere often do not advertise canvassing in their products.

Questions: Is canvassing not a factor when puchasing high end SCs, unlike in suits? So, while the best suits shoudl be canvassed, that is not the case for SCs?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PipersSon
It seems to me that sellers of top end sportcoats (e.g. Zegnas, Canalis) on SF and elsewhere often do not advertise canvassing in their products.

Questions: Is canvassing not a factor when puchasing high end SCs, unlike in suits? So, while the best suits shoudl be canvassed, that is not the case for SCs?

No difference between a jacket paired with pants and a jacket sold on it's own. The same build issues exist.

No point pushing canvassing in ads if the average customer has no idea what it is or if they should care.

Your ads should push things that people have an idea about.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Hi, posted this in SW&D section and didnt get much of a response - was hoping MC could be a little more helpful:

Originally Posted by CHECKstar
Which tshirt fits better? Both are from Sunspel - the white is a small while the gray is a medium (the accidentally sent me the wrong size).

tshits.jpg

PipersSon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
No difference between a jacket paired with pants and a jacket sold on it's own. The same build issues exist.

No point pushing canvassing in ads if the average customer has no idea what it is or if they should care.

Your ads should push things that people have an idea about.

Thanks for your reply.

inlandisland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PBristolJr
Angle cut.

Often also called a 'mitered' cuff.

Abstraktmind

Reaction score
I bought a suit off of SF, the measurements to the jacket were perfect, but the pants were 35 and I'm a 32. He said it could be tailored to fit, is it possible or did I just take a loss?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads