• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alfred Sargent Handgrade - Pictures

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
ME, would it be possible to post all 28 in the "ID the maker" thread?

+1! I'd love to see them all.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was going to say the 11 and 15 would probably look best on a squarer toe but fullb proved me wrong

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
So I've finalized the first commission as a wholecut on the AS19 (almond) last in mahogany. I suppose that my feet are not as irregular as I imagined, as Chay indicated he will bypass the fitting shoe and go straight to the finished product (and will redo if it doesn't work out!). He sent me a file with 28 different toe medallions, and I've selected my 6 favorite here. Please help me by indicating your preference for my particular configuration - and plain toe is definitely in the running.

btw, if anyone would like the entire file please PM with your email.

It can be hard to envision how two "abstracts" will look together. Sometimes we pick two things we like, but when we pair them together, the results can be disappointing or visa versa. So, at the risk of sounding like a complete n00b (please accept my apologies in advance if it does), but is there anyway that Chay can send you either CAD drawings or stock photos of each design on the shoe that you chose? The reason why I ask this is because I'm sure that any of the designs he sent you would "work" for the shoe you selected. However, by seeing the designs on the shoes you selected (even if it's somewhat crude) could be instrumental in deciding what design works better, and ultimately best, as determined by your own preferences.

Just a thought.

Originally Posted by fullb
I am wearing AS shoes with the #11 today and it's pretty good

IMG00300-20110203-1601.jpg

I think it works (btw, looks great) because it provides great balance to the broguing. However, ME's shoes will be wholecut, so that design may be too "heavy" on his shoes.

Just my 0.2 cents worth...

Groover

Reaction score
S MTO Style: Templar + Medallion Last: 87F Colour: Mahogany Burnished. Ok, these MTO's have been in the works for sometime(several months). The reason for the length of time is due to the changes AS wanted to attempt in order to improve their Handgrade sole. I was not in any rush for them, so I was more than happy to allow Chay to 'express' himself. The colour, last, medallion were all my choice. The sole is the work of the skilled craftsmen at AS, the changes to the last, the ribbing, the lasting, the finishing are really something else. Those that follow his blog http://alfred-sargent.blogspot.com/ will have seen a picture of the sole last night. These are my pictures of the shoe itself and some more of the sole/heel.
TEMP13.jpg
TEMP12.jpg
TEMP6.jpg
TEMP3.jpg
TEMP8.jpg
TEMP4.jpg
TEMP10.jpg
TEMP15.jpg
TEMP14.jpg

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, such lovely pics! Am really looking forward to my wholecuts!!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Groover
AS MTO Style: Templar + Medallion Last: 87F Colour: Mahogany Burnished. Ok, these MTO's have been in the works for sometime(several months). The reason for the length of time is due to the changes AS wanted to attempt in order to improve their Handgrade sole. I was not in any rush for them, so I was more than happy to allow Chay to 'express' himself. The colour, last, medallion were all my choice. The sole is the work of the skilled craftsmen at AS, the changes to the last, the ribbing, the lasting, the finishing are really something else. Those that follow his blog http://alfred-sargent.blogspot.com/ will have seen a picture of the sole last night. These are my pictures of the shoe itself and some more of the sole/heel.
TEMP13.jpg
TEMP12.jpg
TEMP6.jpg
TEMP3.jpg
TEMP8.jpg
TEMP4.jpg
TEMP10.jpg
TEMP15.jpg
TEMP14.jpg

How do they compare to EG in terms of quality (leather especially)? Can't be much in it. It must be a delight for a craftsman to create a shoe like that.

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance
How do they compare to EG in terms of quality (leather especially)? Can't be much in it.

The leather feels as good as my EG's.

I'm not really comfortable comparing leather's as I'm not an expert with it. All I do know is that there are few tanneries left therefore by default use the same suppliers. Leather in itself is a by product with huge variances. Often the true 'value' of the leather can only be judged through wear, with that as the benchmark I've got no complaints whatsoever about the leather used on my AS shoes, they've all worn well and have gotten more comfortable with age and not started looking shabby at all.

So I would consider them to be on a par.

Hope this helps.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one, centurion. Makes me wonder when my chukkas are coming...

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rabiesinfrance
It must be a delight for a craftsman to create a shoe like that.
I have been very fortunate to see shoes being made. Even now after many visits it still amazes me the skill and dedication the staff put into the shoes. The waist on these is about 1/4 to 1/2" narrower than the current HG in production. Think of them as the first working prototype. The amount of work that it required to bring the waist in on a RTW shoe is quite staggering. The handwork in particular that goes into finishing the waist edges and the heel. The whole process is very labor intensive, but in my opinion the end product is worth it.

Groover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by osborn
oops just noticed- all that height is needed for the classy bevelled waist
sorry i thought you were a shorty

smile.gif

No worries, the picture probably exaggerates the height due to it being a macro shot. The heel height is not excessive and the sole pitch is correct.

And I'm 5'10" btw
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads