• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NBA 2016-2017 Season Thread

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally, i'd be happier right now trading artest and gasol ... i still think bynum is going to be the "carrier" that drives the team into the next decade. i think artest is just too unpredictable about whether he's going to show up to play or not. and i'm afraid gasol, whom i dearly love, is probably too smart to play this much basketball and just doesn't have the heart for the long run.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah, that's crazy. Pau is still one of the most skilled big man out there, if not the best. You'd be loko to let go of him. He's had his dry spells this season but it hasn't been the most terrible. He was playing much better before Bynum returned but come playoff time, Pau will be more reliable than Bynum. Bynums injury just irritates me and the fact that he postponed his operation this past summer for 3-4 weeks was just frustrating. I mean wouldn't he want to get it done as soon as possible to leave him more time to recover before the season started?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as i understand it, he delayed with the approval of the laker staff, then when they got in to correct, they found it was different than what had been diagnosed and would require a longer heal-time.
i love pau and his game ... but i've just got this feeling that he's lost the fire. i should also say, that i think there is probably something a little odd about anyone in their 30s who still is consumed by the game the way the kobes, magics, jordans and birds are/were.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
no one has lost the finals , no one has lost the first round yet. whirlwind of comments, criticisms, and trade speculations. i want to keep pau, bynum and artest. even AS IS, we still have the most potential to win the finals . artest and jackson will sort it out.

Truth.

Pau is kinda soft again this year. There's just no passion in his play. He still with his girl Silvia... makes me wonder if trouble at home carried into his game.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 13k
Truth.

Pau is kinda soft again this year. There's just no passion in his play. He still with his girl Silvia... makes me wonder if trouble at home carried into his game.

Honestly, I think he's probably too smart and too well-adjusted to be a basketball player for this long. that's not necessarily a knock against the kobes of the world, but you have to admit that their worldview is fairly limited. to get to that level and stay at that level as long as they have takes a dedication and concentration (to what is, after all, a child's game) that is abnormal. Rather than his girlfriend distracting him, I'd probably put it down more to his visits to childrens hospitals.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No way you trade Pau. You don't even think about it. He's lost the "fire" the way any other player not named Kobe or MJ lost the fire...by winning two in a row. You almost have to be not human (see: KB24 or MJ23) to maintain that elite/redline level of intensity or "fire" for 82 regular season games + 3 full playoff runs + olympics + euro basketball.

He'll be fine for the playoffs.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i hope you're right. i really do like the guy.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
kobe on conan:
"The beauty of the season is it's filled with challenges. You have ups and downs. In this city, everybody breathes Laker basketball. When there's a struggle, it's the end of the world. but that's what the season is about. That's what challenges are about. its about overcoming those challenges. We're up to the task."

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i like these nba headlines from sites like espn, AP, realGM, etc these days:

"Artest looking to be traded!"

"Artest says he never said he wanted to be traded!"

"carmelo will not sign extension and wants to go to NJ!"

"carmelo said he never wanted to be traded"

"CP wants out of new orleans!"

"CP said he never wanted out of New orleans"

shees

Reaction score
These reporters are the TMZ of the sports world. Drama. I hope Pau shows up tonight vs. TD.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
again.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 13k
These reporters are the TMZ of the sports world. Drama. I hope Pau shows up tonight vs. TD.

Shaq used to own Duncan.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shaq used to own everybody. now he looks like a bus driver in a ymca game.

sexandcandy

Reaction score
i have respect for tim duncan and his body of work, but he has no business being an all-star this year, even out of respect. lamarcus aldridge, kevin love, zach randolph and even lamar odom deserve it more than he does. what a joke

also i find it crazy that four celtics made it to the all-star team, but they're certainly deserving. all avering career highs in fg% and they're clearly the team to beat in the east.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads