• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomorrowstars

Reaction score
The embossed logo has worn off a bit. It says Mont-something. No other markings. $6.99.
2dazs7a.jpg

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k4lnamja
I asked about canadian thrifters b/c I'll be heading to Whistler/Vancouver, BC in March for a bachelor party.
"Hey guys, I need to be back from the strip club early because I am going to a musty thrift store in the morning to see if I can find used clothes. Sometimes I take pictures of what I find so I can show guys I met on the internet."
laugh.gif

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
"Hey guys, I need to be back from the strip club early because I am going to a musty thrift store in the morning to see if I can find used clothes. Sometimes I take pictures of what I find so I can show guys I met on the internet."
laugh.gif

Haha!!
devil.gif
boxing[1].gif

gdwy89

Reaction score
Today was my best day of thrifting to date. My most expensive (both in retail and in thrift) tie lot purchase thus far:
o85bn5.jpg
Pendleton Salvatore Ferragamo Pendleton Salvatore Ferragamo Land's End Aquascutum NWT Turnbull & Asser
992dxh.jpg
Ferragamos
2qdyis2.jpg
Aquascutum and NWT T&A
2lusz8z.jpg
Whether or not I'll keep all of them is to be determined. I might throw a couple up on ebay, but I worry, as a relatively new ebay user with very little feedback, that I'll scare people away (same goes for the B&S forum). I also passed on three Gucci ties; one had a stain, the other two were ugly (one looked like the my red Pendleton but it was silk and had a bizarre hunting scene on it). I happily pointed them out to an older gentleman who loved them. On top of that, I bought my first pair of shoes: Hanover wingtips in 12 D (which fit my 12 4E feet).
313kfg9.jpg
With some work, I hope to turn these into an impressive before and after photo set. The last store I hit had a sale. All men's clothing, no matter what it was was $1. I hoped to find a nice blue or grey suit for myself (something that has eluded me up until this point) but I was unsuccessful. I did however find a couple of nice things for my father (his birthday is coming up) so not all was lost. I just hope he'll like what I got him and everything fits. With the poor luck I'd been having recently, I'm glad today was so successful. I feel reinvigorated. Edit: Oh boy, I need to resize these photos. Sorry I posted so many. I got a hold of my brother's DSLR camera and was a little over zealous

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Are you in Kentucky? Ferragamos with horse racing and basketball seem like a Kentucky kind of combination.
Didn't even make that connection until now. I'm in Maryland. So horse racing: yes. Basketball: yes.

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Four vintage Brooks Brothers ties in a lovely variety. $2 each. This particular era for Brooks Brothers (with the upper-case white lettering on black background) is easily my favorite in terms of BB stuff for color combinations and construction. I've found 6 in the past year and they're all beautiful.

blog_bb2.jpg

__PG__

Reaction score
Zegna Trofeo suit in Navy with subtle blue pinstripes - $AUD 80
biggrin.gif

Staatsoper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace_Face
laugh.gif

Pity, there appears to be no tiny symbol of a spit-take!!!!!
bounce2.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
Yeah, I think I once took something and posted it here and found that you had already passed on it!
Haha, I do recall that as well!
Originally Posted by tomorrowstars
The embossed logo has worn off a bit. It says Mont-something. No other markings. $6.99.
2dazs7a.jpg

Mont Blanc, perhaps? If so, amazing score! Things are getting really bad here. To find anything worth looking at, you have to basically get it fresh off the "new arrivals" racks. If you find something nice mixed in with the other stuff, it was probably just put away off from the said racks. Today was pretty much a bust except for a nice Barbour Polar Quilts quilted jacket, which happened to be on the new arrivals rack. Everything else had been picked clean. Looks like this in dark brown: http://www.barbourbymail.co.uk/Barbo...edium=referral

gdwy89

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdwy89
I did however find a couple of nice things for my father (his birthday is coming up) so not all was lost. I just hope he'll like what I got him and everything fits.
An update on this and a question: The Incotex Venezia 1951 pants and the BB Non-Iron shirt both fit my dad (I got impatient and gave him his presents early), but the Navy 100% Camel Hair BB 1818 42R is slightly too big for me and too small for my dad. Should I: 1) Sell it 2) Get it tailored (I wear around a 40R) 3) Keep it in my closet and wait until I gain the inevitable weight that comes with aging and a slower metabolism (this was my mom's suggestion [Is this a legitimate suggestion? Seriously, does anyone keep clothes to slightly too small in an effort to lose weight or keep clothes slightly too big as insurance?]).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads