• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
Thanks, y'all. The blog has been fun--sort of a combo of the two threads I visit most at SF--WAYWT and the thrift/discount bragging thread.

^Oregotrix - Blog is a great idea. Just out of curiousity- on many of your fits you state tailoring cost as $0. Do these things fit you that well OTR, or do you do your own tailoring? I ask because I have been contemplating buying a sewing machine to experiment with basic fit adjustments.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The jacket and shirt collar look quite a bit too big for you. The pants are pretty baggy, too.

x2 The shirt and jacket are what I noticed most of all. From the picture it appears that the collar on the shirt is several inches too big. The jacket looks quite baggy as well.

Philip1978

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarrisonK
[]

Brooks Brothers Tweed sport coat
Ralph Lauren Sweater
Ralph Lauren Oxford shirt
Ralph Lauren burgundy corduroy pants
Johnston and Murphy tassle brown loafers

the colors worked perfectly but the camera didnt pick that up, thats why it is in sepia.

What do you all think?

Looks like your wearing your fathers clothes.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
I ask because I have been contemplating buying a sewing machine to experiment with basic fit adjustments.
I thank myself all the time for taking the time to learn how to hem my trou! Saves me a sawbuck everytime!

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Philip1978
Looks like your wearing your fathers clothes.

You beat me to it.

Nice to see a young guy making an effort though...he just needs clothes that fit a little better.

Mike

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UrbanComposition
TB - See above re: 90s geometric patterns.
I was just pulling your chain, UC. That last outfit was truly excellent. I appreciate the education on ties, though, so keep it coming.

Originally Posted by niidawg3
i need donations for the 1000 dollar tie pin
nest.gif

I know where you can get one for a LOT less.

HarrisonK

Reaction score
Pants are a little baggy but thats because they are not dress pants, they are casual cords that I wear almost everyday.

They jacket has not been tailored yet because I bought specifically for an occasion the day of and I have not had time to go back and get it fitted correctly yet.

Also, thanks for the feedback, you gave insightful responses instead of going crazy with the insults like members do in the streetwear part of SF.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mecaro.jpg

What do you all think?

If you took in the sides of the jacket, the fit would be improved dramatically. You're still going to get grief from more seasoned SF'ers than yours truly, but I think that alone would make a big difference.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of buying something for $1,000 that I pierce through my ties and shirts...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
If you took in the sides of the jacket, the fit would be improved dramatically. You're still going to get grief from more seasoned SF'ers than yours truly, but I think that alone would make a big difference.

Also the shoulders are a bit too wide, and the top button should be undone, son.

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ndw
^Oregotrix - Blog is a great idea. Just out of curiousity- on many of your fits you state tailoring cost as $0. Do these things fit you that well OTR, or do you do your own tailoring? I ask because I have been contemplating buying a sewing machine to experiment with basic fit adjustments.

Originally Posted by PandArts
I thank myself all the time for taking the time to learn how to hem my trou! Saves me a sawbuck everytime!

Often I just get lucky with things that fit me well OTR. But I have learned to do some basic alterations, mostly on trousers. I can take in the waist/seat, and hem/cuff trouser bottoms. Haven't experimented with tapering trousers yet, but it doesn't seem that hard. Haven't done anything with jackets yet. Well, I did take apart a sleeve a couple years ago as an experiment on a throwaway jacket, but I couldn't figure out how to get it all back together.

So far I've sewn everything by hand, but my wife did get a sewing machine a couple months ago that I need to learn how to use. Should save me some time.

ndw

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PandArts

Often I just get lucky with things that fit me well OTR. But I have learned to do some basic alterations, mostly on trousers. I can take in the waist/seat, and hem/cuff trouser bottoms. Haven't experimented with tapering trousers yet, but it doesn't seem that hard. Haven't done anything with jackets yet. Well, I did take apart a sleeve a couple years ago as an experiment on a throwaway jacket, but I couldn't figure out how to get it all back together.

So far I've sewn everything by hand, but my wife did get a sewing machine a couple months ago that I need to learn how to use. Should save me some time.

Thanks, guys. This is cool and very encouraging. I figure the very basics cant be too difficult and have been considering this for a while (just for fun).

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to suits I usually luck out with the jacket fitting pretty darn good, it's always the trou that give me a problem with the length of hemmed ones being too long (I'm a 29W with a 30.5 to 31L). That was often the critique of my fits that the trou were too long, so I learned how to hem because I didn't have the money or the time to take all my trou in.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Also the shoulders are a bit too wide, and the top button should be undone, son.

I agree with the shoulders thing, then again if he is still growing he may grow into it.

Why no love for the top button on a three button suit?

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spoozy
So, a bit of purple for today...

That's pretty tame compared to your usual style.
smile.gif

Also, thanks for the feedback, you gave insightful responses instead of going crazy with the insults like members do in the streetwear part of SF.

Add myself into the chorus of "collar too wide, trousers too baggy etc."

And of course are we a bit (just a bit) more civilised than the sw&d mob and rowdies for we aim to be gentlemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads