• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimabue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnnyrich7
How has sizing down a full size on the barrie worked for you?
It's worked out well for me though I don't recommend people try it when doing online orders. Next time you're at a shop, try going down a full size in the Barrie, you might be surprised. It has meant fewer creases/rolls and a sleeker profile for me. Whether this would work for all Barrie-lasted shoes I don't know. Probably varies across models and type of leather. I did order the SWBoot in size 10 because I wanted the extra room for thicker socks. I tried the NST in natural Chromexcel, Barrie, size 10. My heels lift out of them and they just look too big. Great shoe, otherwise. Love the model and the leather.

interlockingny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cimabue
It's worked out well for me though I don't recommend people try it when doing online orders. Next time you're at a shop, try going down a full size in the Barrie, you might be surprised. It has meant fewer creases/rolls and a sleeker profile for me. Whether this would work for all Barrie-lasted shoes I don't know. Probably varies across models and type of leather.

I did order the SWBoot in size 10 because I wanted the extra room for thicker socks.

I tried the NST in natural Chromexcel, Barrie, size 10. My heels lift out of them and they just look too big.

Great shoe, otherwise. Love the model and the leather.

I know some people who go down a full size on the barrie and up 1 in the width.

Example: A 10D foot could equal a 9E on the Barrie.

k.laff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lowrider
DSC_3517.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

Greetings! First post...

Lowrider, if you happen to see this, which last are the short wing and v-tip on in these photos? Anyone else able to identify from the photos? Thanks!

REguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by interlockingny
I know some people who go down a full size on the barrie and up 1 in the width.

Example: A 10D foot could equal a 9E on the Barrie.

I've wound up going down a full size on the Barrie in the unlined PTBs. They're borderline too narrow in the toe, but I know they'd be loose through the heel if I went up in width. I only go down 1/2 in calf and shell, although I'm beginning to wonder if I should go down a full size in shell as well.

enigma77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k.laff
Greetings! First post... Lowrider, if you happen to see this, which last are the short wing and v-tip on in these photos? Anyone else able to identify from the photos? Thanks!
Those look like wingtip boots, not shortwings. Small potatoes...
wink.gif
EDIT: Hmm, maybe not now that I see the unlined eyelets.

triumphman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by k.laff
Greetings! First post...

Lowrider, if you happen to see this, which last are the short wing and v-tip on in these photos? Anyone else able to identify from the photos? Thanks!

the v-tips looks like it's on the modified last...

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the wingtips from Lowrider are Leather Soul Plaza last wing tip boots. I remember from when the pics first appear, and I have the same shoes here: (pictured when they were new)

Last12Months-1545.jpg

Last12Months-1561.jpg

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by huskyzealot
Which is the sleeker/more-modern last between the Barrie and Grant?

I am going to pick up a pair of cap-toe cordovan boots, I'd ideally get them on the Plaza last, but can't find them in stock anywhere. Would like to buy the closest comparable.

The Aberdeen is a narrower looking last, but I haven't seen it in a captoe. I've had Grant captoe shoes that aren't quite as round as a Barrie shoe, but sleek isn't what comes to mind. I've found the Grant to fit me tts in a shoe but are roomier in a boot.

If you're looking for 'sleek' then maybe another brand would better suit.

Profligate47

Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
I've wound up going down a full size on the Barrie in the unlined PTBs. They're borderline too narrow in the toe, but I know they'd be loose through the heel if I went up in width. I only go down 1/2 in calf and shell, although I'm beginning to wonder if I should go down a full size in shell as well.

I take a 10.5D in Tremont, Aberdeen, Van, AND Barrie. Is something wrong with this picture? Yes, Aberdeen's toebox is a little cramped, but it's still the best size for me all around...http://www.styleforum.net//images/smilies/eh.gif

LeatherSOUL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lowrider's shoes were all from me when he used to live in Hawaii. Cigar Indy, Plaza Wingtip Boot, and 2 Tone Leydon V-Tip.

unclesam099

Reaction score
FWIW, I picked up the #8 Shortwings recently from Sherman Brothers. Nice guys there. I measured a 13D on the Brannock but fit a 12D in the Tremont last. I might have been able to do an 11.5D, but the 12D should be fine.

Need a black pair, but feel like something in Cigar or Ravello should be next....

Aries83

Reaction score
Tom - I've just used your wax, given to me complimentarily by one of your lovely staff, and I must say it is the most fantastic wax I've ever used on shoes, absolutely superb stuff.

My 2.5 year old captoe boots are shimmering, I'll take some photos in the morning and post up before I head off to wear them in sunny Barcelona.

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got these #8 PTB off of eBay. They have commando soles and are marked Alden Restoration. They came with box, bags and trees. Inside and out, they look and feel brand new so my question is, do all Alden restorations come out like this?
img0678l.jpg
img0680ru.jpg

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lagsun
Just got these #8 PTB off of eBay. They have commando soles and are marked Alden Restoration. They came with box, bags and trees. Inside and out, they look and feel brand new so my question is, do all Alden restorations come out like this?

img0678l.jpg

img0680ru.jpg

They did a remarkable job on those. I don't think I've ever seen a restoration that looks that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads