• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "secret menu" at Chinese restaurants.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ashpool
It's a secret menu where I am beucase most white people are pussies when it comes to spicy food or other spices used in authentic chinese food, and so they keep the secret menu secret because they don't want people accidentally order something that they will regret/hate, ruining the restaurant's reputation, when it is due to the customer's own stupidity/ignorance.
This. Also, white people will start asking "Where's the Sweet/Sour Pork? The General Tso's Chicken?"

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of what passes for Chinese food in this country is better described as "food inspired by Chinese cuisine" rather than "food Chinese people actually eat." The authentic menu has dishes that contain ingredients that are weird by Western tastes and that are not nearly as sweet as dishes on the Western menu. It would be a shock to most non-Chinese patrons.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thursday at one of the Asian restaurants here is Dalmation Day.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
Most of what passes for Chinese food in this country is better described as "food inspired by Chinese cuisine" rather than "food Chinese people actually eat." The authentic menu has dishes that contain ingredients that are weird by Western tastes and that are not nearly as sweet as dishes on the Western menu. It would be a shock to most non-Chinese patrons.

O RLY?

I no longer know what to believe. So...egg foo young isn't on the menu in China? I'm guessing Chinese food is better here than there.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Depends on the spice.

The Super Xtreme Hot Wings at the local bar is definitely a macho thing to do. However, something like Szechuan Hot Pot, despite unbearably hot, is also absolutely delicious at the same time.

+1 The super hot to the point of not having any other flavor (like the top wings at a buffalo wild wings or something) is just a macho thing. Hell, they even have a challenge at BWW to see if you can eat 12...

Other foods, the spice can be good and/or culturaly accurate. A lot of places with really warm climates eat spicy food for its cooling effect...if you are trying to eat somewhat accurate reproductions of food from those areas, I fail to see the problem for eating it as spicy as they like it.

The people who slather every food item in tobasco however...I do not understand.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
Where do you live Wayfarer? I feel like these "secret menu" type Chinese restaurants are only found in the midwest or some small city where there's not a huge asian population.

Here in the bay area Chinese restaurants just have one menu.

Columbus, OH. So yes, very much in the heart of the Midwest.

Originally Posted by Xericx
They probably assumed you wouldn't enjoy it. Then word of mouth spreads around based on the "unfamiliar" foods and suddenly "oh that place sucks".

The eating of these foods not generally tailored for the american palate and the popularity of "adventurous eating" is a relatively new phenomenon from TV shows and online forums.

The thing is, with things like "Bizarre foods" and Anthony Bourdain type shows, more people are willing to try out foods that weren't so big 5 years ago (i.e. "adventurous" internet foodie types who can't wait to yelp/brag about how they ate a common tripe dish from China or something, giving them internets credibility).

See, that's the weird thing, she's a friend of ours. Her and my girlfriend are really close, grew up together, and the girlfriend is going to be a bridesmaid in her upcoming wedding. We've had numerous conversations about the "weird food" we've both eaten. She knows I'm adventurous with food and have absolutely no qualms with offal, spice, textures, etc. Just struck me as very odd that she intentionally tried to hide the menu from me.

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
She knows I'm adventurous with food and have absolutely no qualms with offal, spice, textures, etc. Just struck me as very odd that she intentionally tried to hide the menu from me.
other mainland china fare is heavily rice based. they'll be a what amounts to half a cup of a dish thats super taste laden to be eaten with rice at a 3:1 (or more) ratio. basically pheasant food dishes that are made to fill you up first. they'll include a lot of super bitter vegetables and fat ladened meats but its eaten in moderation when you add the rice to it. once you start chewing it with a mouthful of rice it starts to make sense and taste good. this happens in traditional thai foods a lot. when you're in thailand they'll be weird combinations of thai chili, raisins, scrambled eggs, and carabao meat that need to be eaten with rice to kind of emulsify the combo. if not eaten in that manner then its a different taste all together, too much going on and even bad. lastly a lot of the super native dishes can give you diarrhea... unless you're iron stomached. even natives know when they can or can't handle certain foods that the haven't eaten in a long time, but they wont give ****** reviews on Yelp/report to DOH if something happens because they know the effects.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

what I don't like is the texture stuff - a lot of people are into unusual textures, and that can drive the price up, so it is often considered a treat for a guest to get him something with unusual textures. I will find myself on a trip in Asia being few a dozen different textures, none of which I really enjoy.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by intent
This. Also, white people will start asking "Where's the Sweet/Sour Pork? The General Tso's Chicken?"

INORITE?

I don't understand why white people are even allowed into restaurants.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'm going to open up a restaurant and have a secret White menu.
We'll have awesome things like Miracle whip, cheez whiz, pringles, and vienna sausages. Suck on that, ethnicities!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I'm going to open up a restaurant and have a secret White menu.
We'll have awesome things like Miracle whip, cheez whiz, pringles, and vienna sausages. Suck on that, ethnicities!

FYI, the secret is out on at least the viennas. In fact, my entire life, the only people I've actually seen buy and eat those are all Asian!

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
FYI, the secret is out on at least the viennas. In fact, my entire life, the only people I've actually seen buy and eat those are all Asian!

Those ******* assholes.
angry.gif
Isn't their own secret menu enough?!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Those ******* assholes.
angry.gif
Isn't their own secret menu enough?!

Just accept our new yellow overlords.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're only secret if you can read them. In English they're called "specials"
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads