• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McMansion or not?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
house i am buying is from 1888. would never buy some newfangled pos

Hannerhan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
natural timber, slate (and other metamorphic rock), ceramic brick, stone, raw concrete, or unprocessed metal

Having interior walls/ceilings made exclusively from those materials not financially possible for 95%+ of the population.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

i'll bet if ann d. tool-dipped a mcmansion you would live in it.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannerhan
Having interior walls/ceilings made exclusively from those materials not financially possible for 95%+ of the population.
Uh, what do you think 85% of the world's population builds their homes out of now? And what did they build their homes out of before the middle of the 20th century when all those other ****** commercial products finally became available? If you can't build your home out of the materials that actually exist in their natural form on earth because of cost, you should either not be building a home, or building one at a scale that isn't grotesque.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Uh, what do you think 85% of the world's population builds their homes out of now? And what did they build their homes out of before the middle of the 20th century when all those other ****** commercial products finally became available?

have you ever visited neutra's house? he used predominantly ****** mid-century commercial materials. it's pretty cool, though currently falling apart

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
it's pretty cool, though currently falling apart
He'd do it differently if he understood the lifespan of all that ****. Natural materials don't fall apart. They simply express their age.
teacha.gif

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think it has a few defintions. One is roughly, "It's such a shame plebs can buy houses the size of my family manor" and two roughly, "I can't afford it so I shall disparage it to mask my jealousy."

This post amuses me for the second time after reading StephenHero's post.

Uh, what do you think 85% of the world's population builds their homes out of now? And what did they build their homes out of before the middle of the 20th century when all those other ****** commercial products finally became available?

If you can't build your home out of the materials that actually exist in their natural form on earth because of cost, you should either not be building a home, or building one at a scale that isn't grotesque.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
He'd do it differently if he understood the lifespan of all that ****. Natural materials don't fall apart. They simply express their age.
teacha.gif

not a bad point i suppose. i visited the Gamble House by Greene and Greene the same day (both are close to me) and it made me
drool.gif
as much as the neutra's decay made me
frown.gif
granted, a lot more money goes into the gamble, but there are parts of neutra's home that wouldn't be practical to maintain even if the funding was even

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

Where is the outhouse located?

Originally Posted by CDFS

It's amazing how well I can capture a paradigm sometimes, no?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
have you ever visited neutra's house? he used predominantly ****** mid-century commercial materials. it's pretty cool, though currently falling apart
But...but... they can be repaired!

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
It has nothing to do with jealousy. I'm not jealous because I don't own a McMansion. I'd much rather live in a 500sq. ft. stone barn than a 4000 sq. foot Lowe's advertisement. The thing that people don't acknowledge is that the size of their home and the formal elements it possesses have absolutely nothing to do with the ability of the home to meet it's intended purpose, which is to live in. Those two aspects are used irrationally to express a connotation of wealth or lifestyle which we associate with pre-20th century mansion styling. Does vinyl siding made with a fake wood texture improve your life? No. All it does it mimic the materials of colonial houses in order to give the impression that the owner has a slice of authentic America. Does an ornate plastic porch light that was copied from an old Boston street lantern design improve your life or provide an honest expression of its purpose? No, unless you actually use whale blubber to burn it. All it's doing is mimicking the lifestyle it cannot authentically recreate. There is such an absurdly contrived falseness in the motivation for McMansion ownership, that it's amazing that people don't even fathom how purposeless it is. Homes and architecture are not supposed to be limited to a utilitarian existence, so they can have ornamental elements, but if those elements aren't intended to actually provide a function of pleasure (as opposed to to a function of deception or representation), there is no purpose. Take a flower arrangement at a dinner table. If it's a real flower arrangement made of real flowers, that can provide a function of delight that we take from natural things and validate its ornamental existence. Obviously that would be expensive if it was done every day, so it therefore takes on some level of desirability within the the world of McMansions. But if it's made of fake flowers that you bought at Michaels, does it still provide delight? No. Of course not. It just sits there and tries to convince the people eating dinner that their servants may actually have picked them from the garden. But there's nothing delightful about plastic tulips that were shipped in a crate from a Chinese village. The plastic flowers don't fool people into believing someone's life is either in touch with nature's splendors or authentically exceptional. It's just tacky. The McMansion can't say it's an honest representation of its occupiers' existence because the entire purpose of a McMansion is to deceive them into believing their home represents a lifestyle that they don't actually have. Anything meant to mimic something else that predates it in purpose or style is only valuable if it's a completely authentic version. If you want a Georgian colonial, it should be made of 100% Georgian colonial materials, not artificial materials that were invented in 1996.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not jealous because I don't own a McMansion.
There probably are a lot of people out there who are jealous of the select many (too many unfortunately) who live in McMansions. But hey, the great majority of people have bad taste.

jefe

Reaction score
^^ Can't you just be upper middle class, have some dough and want a big fuckin' house? Perhaps the owner is less interested in the nature of the materials and more interested in impressing his golfing bros. That doesn't make them a bad person, just a person with ideals that differ from yours.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
it bugs me when people say jealousy but mean envy.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefe
^^ Can't you just be upper middle class, have some dough and want a big fuckin' house? Perhaps the owner is less interested in the nature of the materials and more interested in impressing his golfing bros.
That's why McMansions are paradoxes. They are created with the intent to impress people, but they don't impress people because their intent to impress people is so obviously contrived and transparent. If you want to look rich by owning a rich person's home, you need to actually be rich and own a rich person's home. That would impress me. A McMansion is basically architecture's version of the guy that tries to inconspicuously flex his biceps in photos. Instead of being content letting people know he has 18" biceps, he tries to deceive us into thinking he actually has 20" biceps. In the process, he exposes himself as a person motivated to by the social validation he thinks large biceps will bestow upon him rather than a superhuman ability to carry burlap sacks filled with rocks. Instead of just being the guy with pretty big biceps, he's the guy that can't overcome his insecurity in his quest for external validation.
6a00d83451b8c369e20105360394eb970c-800wi

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads