• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Harry Rosen pricing/business model

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
^^^^

Now that's a happy ending.

I mainly go in to browse, but I have bought the odd item, and the guy who runs the shoe department knows me by sight.

Other posters are right about HR's no-deals policy. I was very close to buying a pair of tan AE Sohos, the SA sized me and everything. All good to go - except that the only pair in my size was their floor model, and they weren't willing to sell that to me. They were willing to order a pair for me, though. I asked why they wouldn't sell it, and I was told something along the lines of, "It's company policy that we don't sell floor models, because they might have wear."

I said I didn't mind, and I would even take it off their hands for a slight discount if they were squeamish about selling me something less than pristine at full price. No go.

So I walked out and bought a pair of Trickers Belgraves from a fellow SFer.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alt.don
Well I have dumped about $4.5K at the Harry Rosen store in Ottawa over the past several months and pretty all of it with one associate who I now deal with. My complaint is that when I asked for a taxes off discount of %13 on a $775 Armani coat I was given a flat no.

Originally Posted by SuitMyself
Would saving 13% on a $775 jacket make any long-term difference to you in comparison to the $45,000 you've already spent?

The OP said $4.5K. Assuming that the OP bought the jacket and got the discount, it would be about 2% of his total purchase so far -- which while small, is nothing to snicker about.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TRINI
My friend at work has had good experiences with Harry's and has been a customer for a couple of years.

Last summer, he ordered a MTM suit during a trunk sale and when it ended up taking (much longer) than expected, his rep gave him 3 free Hilditch & Key MTM shirts. When the suit eventually did come in, it had the wrong lining so it had to be sent back.

Apparently, it got lost at the factory so they made him another suit in a different fabric. When the new suit came in, they found the old one and gave it to him free of charge.

Holy ****!
worship.gif
Why can't I be so fortunate to have them "misplace" my MTM orders?!

There was one time the factory forgot to put genuine surgeon's cuffs on the sleeves of a MTM sports jacket I ordered and it had to be sent back to the factory but the factory was closed for the season so Harry Rosen sent it to one of their other stores that had a machine for making button holes.

What is the point of my story? I didn't receive ANYTHING in the way of a discount or any special offers or "freebies" for the mistake and the inconvenience of having to wait for the jacket to be remedied--and most certainly I did NOT receive three FREE Hilditch & Key MTM shirts.

Originally Posted by Metlin

The OP said $4.5K. Assuming that the OP bought the jacket and got the discount, it would be about 2% of his total purchase so far -- which while small, is nothing to snicker about.

Oh.

$4.5K = $4500 (not $45,000)

Would it have killed the OP to have typed a few extra zeros (e.g. $45,000)????

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Wait a minute . . . only $4500???? Not $45,000??

$4500 is chump change at Harry Rosen, whether it be spent in one visit or over many. I've heard some clients drop about $100,000 or more in one visit.

Sorry. Just sayin'.

alt.don

Reaction score
Actually I can afford Tom Ford suits if I choose to but what I want is a relatively reasonable price. Asking for a modest discount on a highly marked up jacket is not outlandish. It is a way of rewarding the loyalty of the customer. In essence a far better business model then the one they currently use.

alt.don

Reaction score
Wow, $100,000 in a visit?!? I'm not in that league nor will I ever be. Either way, $4,500.00 times however many people do it adds up to some serious change for them. You can't ignore the average customer or you will soon find yourself bankrupt.

SuitMyself

Reaction score

Actually I can afford Tom Ford suits if I choose to but what I want is a relatively reasonable price. Asking for a modest discount on a highly marked up jacket is not outlandish. It is a way of rewarding the loyalty of the customer. In essence a far better business model then the one they currently use.

I suppose you're right there's no harm in asking for a discount of sorts, but if they say no, then no means no. Plus, as another poster has already pointed out, Harry Rosen caters to customers for whom price is not an issue.

Wow, $100,000 in a visit?!? I'm not in that league nor will I ever be. Either way, $4,500.00 times however many people do it adds up to some serious change for them. You can't ignore the average customer or you will soon find yourself bankrupt.

That's a very good point! Yes, $100,000 is an obscene amount of money for us average folks and $4500 is also an obscene amount of money for us average folks, as well.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst it might not be convenient to you to be refused a discount what on earth is wrong with the policy from the owners stand point if he can sell all he wants?

One man's discount is another's increase.

alt.don

Reaction score
I agree, it is all relative. That said, at what point does cost become simply obscene? Look at the custom suit being done up for Daniel Craig at a cost of $22,000.00 Is any suit worth that amount of money? I would say hell no! If they threw in a couple of Bond babes then perhaps........

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of the SA's in Calgary was telling me about a wife who comes in once a year and purchases 75 cashmere socks for her husband at $80 a pop. He only gets 5+ uses out of each....

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitMyself
$4500 is chump change at Harry Rosen, whether it be spent in one visit or over many. I've heard some clients drop about $100,000 or more in one visit.

$4,500 is not chump change at Harry or Holt's. This is Canada, not LA, Miami, Monaco ect.
You could probably count on one hand the number of 45K clients per year each SA has. I had one SA a little excited he might loose a quick 3K sale.

Times are tough all over. One SA thanked me several times for going back to him and even called me by phone at closing to thank me for my business as it was his only sale that day - and this was certainly not 45K.

I know about a half dozen canadian millionaires and price is a very BIG issue especially for clothing. Some of them would choke at even $1000 shoes. They spend far less on clothing than a small wage earner like me. Of course they have far more valuable assets/investments than I do.

alt.don

Reaction score
The store can choose to do what it wishes. My only point is that I did not think asking for a %13 discount was unreasonable. Considering that the winter line is now between %40 to %60 off giving the aforementioned %13 is pretty reasonable. I would go so far as to say that you would be crazy to not ask for a discount on anything that you buy. People will ultimately vote with their feet. I like the store and its look and feel, also find the SA's quite nice and knowledgeable. I will continue to shop there but more strategically as it were.

Xenon

Reaction score
also find the SA's quite nice and knowledgeable. I will continue to shop there but more strategically as it were.

If you keep the same SA you may even get advanced warning of sales which is a nice touch

CanadianEh

Reaction score
I have been considering going down to Montreal in search of better prices as I am quite happy with the selection at HR in Ottawa. Also I am happy with the sales associate that I deal with. Going to go to TO next fall to get my wife a bespoke coat made at Garrison. That should be fun.

Garrison Bespoke is fantastic. I use to be a sheep and shop at Harry Rosen, but no more. I just go to Garrison where they listen to my wants and tailor closing to fits my style and body shape. Harry and Holt salespeople just want to make sales and will say I look good in anything...and its overpriced.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads