• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journey for the perfect suit...

Surreal

Reaction score
I understood that I need to get an MTM suit since I don't have standard body proportions. I have found tailors who could do this, but I need to know the essential things I need to bear in mind when getting a new suit made. I want to have a suit that could be worn with jeans as well. Something basic that would go well with everything and would look sleek (versatile). Also, I am pretty tall, would a 3 button suit look better than a 2 button one on me?

The first thing I need is to find a material. What to look for in a material? I understand that wool is a good choice since it doesn't wrinkle a lot.

I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall and have very broad shoulders/back and narrow waist. Maybe that affects the design choices?

I added some pics of suits I like. I am aiming for something futuristic/sleek, but not sartorialists look. I want to have black as my first suit (can be with pinstripes), then get a navy one and a gray one.

suitsilike.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't expect the world from a MTM suit. There is only so much that can be done. In important thing in MTM I find is to ask for very high armholes, if you don't you will have issues. Also, my advice to you is to not get something extremely fashion forward because it will be out of style in no time. Don't get a blazer that is cropped at the waist, with the arms as long as the hem. I would look for around a 10oz wool, which is good for year round wear. I would also start with a solid navy, or charcoal color. They are most appropriate for wearing to a wedding, an interview, or even pairing with some more casual items. Also, dont get anything with lapels skinnier than 3". Also, pick a MTM tailor who is reputable in your area. Search around on the forum for info some some that people use.

Surreal

Reaction score
Search around on the forum for info some some that people use.
I don't live where you guys live, so that is no use. I will try to find someone reputable in my area.

Thanks for the tips! Charcoal seems like a good color.

Out of the suits I posted, could you tell me which ones are ok to design after?

Also, what lapel style to choose: the peaked lapel or the notched lapel?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Surreal
I don't live where you guys live, so that is no use. I will try to find someone reputable in my area.

Thanks for the tips! Charcoal seems like a good color.

Out of the suits I posted, could you tell me which ones are ok to design after?

Also, what lapel style to choose: the peaked lapel or the notched lapel?

The one of SpooPoker sitting down, number 6. That is a Tom Ford suit. I would say that based on cut, however don't do pinstripes for only having one suit. Also, giant peaked lapels might not be the best idea if you only have one suit, stick with a notch. The others you posted are too tight, fashion forward and tacky to be suitable in all situations. If you wore something like that to a lot of interviews, or for business you will either be repremanded, not taken seriously, or not hired.

7 Is not bad, but i would go darker than that for your first suit.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
-Go with 2 buttons; 3 will defeat the fashion forward image you are after, 2 is always in, and 2 is always flattering.

-Go with wool for your first suit, there's a reason it's the classic suit fabric. Choose weight based on how hot your climate generally is - for instance, most on SF would recommended a midweight or heavyweight wool, but I wear very light fabrics because I live in an area where it's basically summer 3 seasons a year.

-Find a tailor (try going through SF to find one if possible), and hand pics for reference to let him/her know what you're after (any but 5 would be fine - 3 & 4 would probably be the best and easiest references; 6 is fine, but the fact that he's sitting obscures the fit and won't help your tailor).

-Don't worry too much about whether or not it's too fashion forward if you think it'll suit you (unless you can't afford replacing it when it does go out, or unless this is for business)

-Don't go trying to get a suit to wear with jeans; jeans won't work with pretty much any suit fabric, unless you go with something REALLY casual - get a jacket later down the line and wear that with jeans instead.

-Skinny lapels are fine atm, keeping in mind what I stated in point 4. Peaked and notched lapels are both fine, just go with what you want.

Hope this all helps.

Surreal

Reaction score
Great tips guys. Will definitely bear it in mind.

Another feature I forgot to ask about - the vents. Double vent or single vent?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Great tips guys. Will definitely bear it in mind.

Another feature I forgot to ask about - the vents. Double vent or single vent?

Double. Always.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
+1 on double vents - more comfortable, can put hands in pockets, frequently look better.

Surreal

Reaction score
For pants - pleats or no pleats?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For pants - pleats or no pleats?

That is a personal preference. If you get pleats, get forward pleats.

Cuffs are also a preference, however if you get pleats then cuffs are a must. Flat front trousers with or without cuffs both fly. if you get cuffs get 2" cuffs.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey - me and 6 model d00ds... Im flattered. Thanks man!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
The one of SpooPoker sitting down, number 6. That is a Tom Ford suit. I would say that based on cut

Yes and no - this is a Tom Ford design for Gucci. But if I told you it was TF TF, you would believe me. Thats how true to his style this suit is.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere!
+1 on double vents - more comfortable, can put hands in pockets, frequently look better.

Agree.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Get double forward pleats and double vents. Double, double.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads