• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I like everything about the Oundle. I like saying Oundle. I wish I could use it more.

Pronounced "undle," "oondle," or "wundle"?

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Oundles are plain toe usually

Yup. I just know that in my case, when going MTO I start having thoughts about customizing a bit (helps me to justify the upcharge - does this happen to anyone else??). I'm glad David stayed pure to the design.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
Don't think I ever posted these on here: MTO Edward Green Oundle in Edwardian on the 888 last. I specified light antiquing and burnishing with metal toe taps and a 1.5 sole tapering to a single. I like the way they turned out the in-real-life color is a touch more tan. The middle photo probably gives off the best impression of the actual color.

They've been a pain (no pun intended) to break in which is odd since I have two other shoes in this style (suede Oundles and black Grants). They finally seem to be getting there after numerous days around the house.

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

these are one of my fave EG's and seeing your suede ones it was start of my suede fix

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Myke's C&J Tetburys & Loake Pimlico's i went to Retailtherapy4All and bought these Alfred Sargent Mendips in Walnut Grain and i have to say i'm more than chuffed to bits. I did have a look (in person) at the Tetburys and Brecon's and these Mendips are as good both in leather quality and construction IMHO. I have to say i wasn't that keen on the Tetbury leather (Nubuck) it seemed to scratch to hell just trying them on. Each to his/her own i suppose.

AlfredSargentMendip2.jpg

AlfredSargentMendip1.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Inspired by Myke's C&J Tetburys & Loake Pimlico's i went to Retailtherapy4All and bought these Alfred Sargent Mendips in Walnut Grain and i have to say i'm more than chuffed to bits. I did have a look (in person) at the Tetburys and Brecon's and these Mendips are as good both in leather quality and construction IMHO. I have to say i wasn't that keen on the Tetbury leather (Nubuck) it seemed to scratch to hell just trying them on. Each to his/her own i suppose.

http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...entMendip2.jpg
http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...entMendip1.jpg

Nice to see these. I'm thinking about having some winter chukka's made next year (MTM). I was thinking about something like these, but with commando soles. Is this type of grain leather the most 'suitable' for winter weather"”do you think it can handle some snow and salt?

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
Nice to see these. I'm thinking about having some winter chukka's made next year (MTM). I was thinking about something like these, but with commando soles. Is this type of grain leather the most 'suitable' for winter weather—do you think it can handle some snow and salt?

I wouldnt have thought it was any better against the elements than normal calf leather as , if im not mistaken, it is just calf leather but "grained!" Others may know better.

The reason i bought them is exactly for as you have said ie winter weather. I hope they fair well but i have to say i dont treat my shoes like shelf queens
smile.gif
I use them, abuse them,resole them, treat them, shine them and ditch them when they eventually expire !!!!!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
I wouldnt have thought it was any better against the elements that normal calf leather as , if im not mistaken, it is just calf leather but "grained!" Others may know better.

The reason i bought them is exactly for as you have said ie winter weather. I hope they fair well but i have to say i dont treat my shoes like shelf queens
smile.gif
I use them, abuse them,resole them, treat them, shine them and ditch them when they eventually expire !!!!!

Hehe. Thanks. I intend to do exactly the same, just want the most suitable leather to start with.

gusvs

Reaction score
My newly arrived (and first pair of) Saint Crispin's:
1226232546_FE5Xn-L.jpg

1226232606_oCLNr-L.jpg

1226232701_Yrsty-L.jpg

1226232790_toQp7-L.jpg

1226232914_dLdzN-L.jpg

1226232995_bE9bZ-L.jpg

1226233118_nastc-L.jpg

1226233184_eUEY8-L.jpg

1226233273_TTean-L.jpg

I can really testify to what others have said about Mr. Car; he has been a true gentleman and a pleasure to deal with throughout the whole process.

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Christsakes they are wonderful !!! Have they been bloody varnished
laugh.gif

worth

Reaction score
I have the cheapest quality new boots on the face of the planet in these Ritano Wingtip boots. I knew for $70 they would be cheap, but I needed something for the sloppy days that I didn't care about getting messed up. Most people can't tell the difference anyway, and i've had compliments on them.

Ritano-Wingtip-Boot-5.jpg

After two wears, the stitching is popping out on the crease where the foot bends.

1001361.jpg

I don't want to take it to a cobbler, because I want to spend the least amount on them as possible. I don't want to spend $50 or $100 in repairs to a $5 boot.

I could return them, but I would have to cover shipping costs to the US from Canada, so if I could fix them for cheap, i'd rather do that.

Any suggestions other than throwing them out? Because I know that is the first thing that came to everyone's mind.

In addition, i'm a firm believer in quality now. Why spend $70 on a pair of boots that lasted 2 wears when you can spend more but get 10 years out of them? It was a wasted $70 I know.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Glad you like them.

gusvs - killer Saint Crispin's!

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Yup. I just know that in my case, when going MTO I start having thoughts about customizing a bit (helps me to justify the upcharge - does this happen to anyone else??). I'm glad David stayed pure to the design.

I used to feel this urge as well. Lately I've been leaning towards simplicity with little to no brogueing or medallions anywhere. Keeps it simple and versatile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads