• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I take this opportunity?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
related but OT, my cousin told me that teachers in canada make 90k once they hit 12 years. It was a wtf moment, especially since there's such a huge over-supply of people that want to be teachers.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
yea I guess I'll apply. I should make a thread about the costs of applying to grad school: I've spent approaching 3k now...

How the hell have you spent $3,000 applying to grad school? I'm not sure I spent that combined on my 3 grad degrees.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
How the hell have you spent $3,000 applying to grad school? I'm not sure I spent that combined on my 3 grad degrees.
are you kidding? I've spent $280+ on sending GRE score reports alone $400 for registering for tests, $22 / school per score report (and I had to send most of them twice because of ETS being terrible with holding things for all scores to be in), $75 - $120 application fees, $5 / transcript, most schools want things sent in the mail too ( $10/school for delivery confirmation, etc) **** adds up

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yes, but I'm talking about giving up 250k (minimum) to get a few years more of graduate education to pursue a career, where apparently, "most people" in the sector make 40-60k.

how am I giving up "250k minimum"? most careers I would be interested in pursuing are not particularly high paying.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
are you kidding?

I've spent $280+ on sending GRE score reports alone

$400 for registering for tests, $22 / school per score report (and I had to send most of them twice because of ETS being terrible with holding things for all scores to be in), $75 - $120 application fees, $5 / transcript, most schools want things sent in the mail too ( $10/school for delivery confirmation, etc)

**** adds up

I guess that makes sense. I knew what schools I wanted to get into, so I didn't have to deal with all that.

How many schools are you applying to?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I guess that makes sense. I knew what schools I wanted to get into, so I didn't have to deal with all that. How many schools are you applying to?
10 total, and would apply to more if I had the $ and time. anyway, the better the program, the higher the application cost and the more extra **** you have to do. did you have to take any tests? I took both the GRE and the GRE Literature in English test

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
10 total, and would apply to more if I had the $ and time. anyway, the better the program, the higher the application cost and the more extra **** you have to do.

did you have to take any tests? I took both the GRE and the GRE Literature in English test

Just the GMAT. I got my MPA same place as I got my MBA and they made an exception for me and took my GMAT score in place of the GRE. And I took the LSAT of course.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
how am I giving up "250k minimum"? most careers I would be interested in pursuing are not particularly high paying.

I'm not sure why you are not understanding the question.

So if you were making the SF minimum salary, would you give that up to complete a Ph.D. and teach, making the average wages a non-tenured prof gets?

This question asks, "If you had a job, and that job paid at least the SF minimum salary, would you ever give it up to finish a Ph.D. with the plans of going into teach."

I almost had to make this choice, at least the part about working on a Ph.D.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Just the GMAT. I got my MPA same place as I got my MBA and they made an exception for me and took my GMAT score in place of the GRE. And I took the LSAT of course.

typical cost breakdown is something like this:

I applied to UVA

$75 application fee (IIRC)
$46 for scores (once with just GRE, once with GRE Subject)
$10 for 2x transcripts
$10 to mail the additional packet of work

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I'm not sure why you are not understanding the question. This question asks, "If you had a job, and that job paid at least the SF minimum salary, would you ever give it up to finish a Ph.D. with the plans of going into teach." I almost had to make this choice, at least the part about working on a Ph.D.
no I understood the question, and my answer was "maybe". luckily (or unluckily?) I don't have to make that choice so I don't see how it's super relevant. even if I went and got an MA in something and then worked for 5 years, it would most likely be in a field where making $250k isn't a realistic possibility.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I don't think an MA in history is conducive to job placement. I say this as someone with a BA in history...I love the stuff, but where would you use that MA?
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i think you should keep overeducating yourself in the liberal arts until you're completely unemployable
+1 to this. What the **** would you do with an MA in History? If you want to teach, just kill yourself now.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
typical cost breakdown is something like this:

I applied to UVA

$75 application fee (IIRC)
$46 for scores (once with just GRE, once with GRE Subject)
$10 for 2x transcripts
$10 to mail the additional packet of work

Wow, you got shafted. I took the GRE (general test) in December, didn't pay to have scores sent, didn't have to pay to send transcripts, uploaded all documents for application packet. Based on your maths I saved $66 per application

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Wow, you got shafted. I took the GRE (general test) in December, didn't pay to have scores sent, didn't have to pay to send transcripts, uploaded all documents for application packet. Based on your maths I saved $66 per application

the fun of the GRE is when you take both a subject test and a general test you have to send everything twice because of grading time discrepancy.

scientific

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can't you just go backpacking somewhere to find yourself?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I don't think an MA in history is conducive to job placement. I say this as someone with a BA in history...I love the stuff, but where would you use that MA?
lol. I seem to remember telling you that a couple of years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads