• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whacky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meso
Heresy! I like the curved heel at full height -- it adds a good 1.5 inches. I'm probably nearly 6'5 wearing the things.

Perhaps...but, I'm already 6'4" barefoot. Another 1.5 and I'd run into the ceilings in my crappy apartment.

Either way, I debated that decision. It's only a quarter of an inch. We'll see when they show up how things turned out.

As an aside, when you order custom whites, do they send the boots with any extras? Laces, conditioners, etc? Anyone know?

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am about to place my order with Baker. We`ll see how this turns out
boxing[1].gif

MIKE_JE

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
White's does custom boots...that is almost all they do. The pics they show are merely one representative example of their offerings. If you want the boot to look like mine order a Farmer/Rancher in brown rough out leather, single leather midsole, Vibram mini-lug outsole, tapered heel, brass hook/eyelet combo and no toe box reinforcement (if you want them just like mine). You will never find a "click to order" configuration like this but that isn't how White's works so don't expect it.

Thanks. I genuinely didn't expect it but just felt lost with all of the options. Now I know what to get. I'll look for black rough out leather, if they have it.

So is the general consensus to order the same size as Wolverine? I'm an 8.5D in them, 9D measured, but I go 8.5E in Yuketen. I do own quite a few dress shoes in 9 so I'm unsure. Last thing I want is a rugged boot I can't wear thick socks in.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know Wolverine sizing enough to say, but I find they run about 1/4 size large actually. I'm anywhere from an 11 to a 12 depending upon the shoe. Running shoes are all 12, Alden boots in Barrie and Trubalance last are 11s. I have White's in 11 and 11.5 and the 11s are a little short such that my toes do touch the end after being on my feet for a bit. This works because those boots are soft toed but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable in a firm toed boot in the 11.

The above applies to the standard Semi-Dress last. I do have one pair in 11 on the Swing last as well and that fits a touch longer in my experience and I have room at the end in them.

If you've never ordered before...do foot tracings and send them into White's. As long as you do the tracings and measurements properly they'll get you into a good fitting boot.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you ordering custom White's, I've found this website extremely helpful:

http://vintageblue.co.jp/list.php?br=wb&ct=semidress

Lets you see various leather, sole, heel configurations. Click on the little image to the right to see larger photos.

ie.

20100730191053.jpg

I just ordered a custom pair of the semi dress from Baker's. Can't wait to see what they end up like.

Whacky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bl@ster
For those of you ordering custom White's, I've found this website extremely helpful:

http://vintageblue.co.jp/list.php?br=wb&ct=semidress

Lets you see various leather, sole, heel configurations. Click on the little image to the right to see larger photos.

I just ordered a custom pair of the semi dress from Baker's. Can't wait to see what they end up like.

Did you opt for the french calf burgundy like the picture?
If not, what did you go for?

Anyone out there have experience with both the standard White's heel, and their 90 degree block heel?
Differences?

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
Not many (any?) options to try them on I'm afraid. Stronghold used to stock some but I don't know that they do anymore, and I've heard there is a place in NYC that was stocking a model or two but I cannot recall the name right now. For the most part though you just have to send in tracings or extrapolate from sizing comparisons to other boots.

The store in NYC that carries three different makeups of semi-dress is Graham Fowler.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whacky: Here's my configuration:

#38 Retro Semi Dress Americana by White's Boots
Toe Cap Leather Color British Tan, Sole Vibram 269, Size - Length 11, Hardware Antique Eyes & Hooks, Edge Brown, Upper (Shaft) Leather British Tan, Midsole Single, Pull Loops No Thanks, Leather Liner Cream, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather British Tan, Size - Width D (medium), Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Heel Base 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't envy the White's workers, trying to keep all these custom options straight!

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bl@ster
Whacky: Here's my configuration: #38 Retro Semi Dress Americana by White's Boots Toe Cap Leather Color British Tan, Sole Vibram 269, Size - Length 11, Hardware Antique Eyes & Hooks, Edge Brown, Upper (Shaft) Leather British Tan, Midsole Single, Pull Loops No Thanks, Leather Liner Cream, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather British Tan, Size - Width D (medium), Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Heel Base 90 Degree Blocked off Heel (Traveler)
Sounds like an awesome boot, nice spec. And roughly my size as well....if they don't work out for you for some reason you let me know
smile.gif
You would think 4 pair of White's would be enough but with all the cool custom options and leathers there are just way too many cool configurations that I want to have. British Tan looks awesome in the pics I've soon to, be sure to share some photos of them when they arrive.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will do. And at nearly 500 clams these suckers better be blowaway
smile.gif

Whacky

Reaction score
I should be getting my custom Semi Dress boots in a week and a half at this point....

So, I was wondering, does anyone have any opinions on leather dressings or conditioners that I should perhaps apply while the boots are new?

I just called Whites, and had them add some of their leather preservative to the order, which as an aside, their website claims is made by Obenaufs. I presume it is similar (if not exact) to the Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP.

Also considering Sno Sealing the boots and leather soles from the get go.

Any thoughts?

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Whacky
I should be getting my custom Semi Dress boots in a week and a half at this point....

So, I was wondering, does anyone have any opinions on leather dressings or conditioners that I should perhaps apply while the boots are new?

I just called Whites, and had them add some of their leather preservative to the order, which as an aside, their website claims is made by Obenaufs. I presume it is similar (if not exact) to the Obenaufs Heavy Duty LP.

Also considering Sno Sealing the boots and leather soles from the get go.

Any thoughts?

Do not overdo it. Their leathers are built to take a beating. At most, if you don't really beat the hell out of them (soak them, really), just wipe off after each wearing, use shoe trees, and condition them with the White's conditioner (if made by Obenauf's, then it's what I'd recommend anyway), say, every 3 months. You don't want to over-condition the leather. Obenauf's is better than sno-seal. I'd only sno-seal if you are going to use these as a dedicated winter (snow) boot.

Whacky

Reaction score
What do you mean, obenaufs is "better" than sno seal? I know if you have boots long enough, and condition them enough times with the Obenaufs LP, then the boots will build up some water resistence.
But I thought Sno Seal was a much stronger, and more concrete water barrier than Obenaufs?

Either way, I want to do something to strengthen the weatherproofing on these boots.
Although the pair I ordered will function mostly for fashion purposes, I hope to be able to wear them in any condition. I'm around tons of wet weather, and I hate having to switch over to big hiking boots just because it starts raining or snowing. Plus, I absolutely hate wet feet.

If I go the Sno Seal route, is it better to treat them with while they are new and clean? Does that makes a difference in how well it sinks into the leather and waterproofs them?

And what are the true downsides of sno-sealing boots like these? Will they be less breathable, or prevent future leather preservatives from conditioning the leather?

ysb

Reaction score
another request for sizing advice here. I did the foot trace and took measurements and sent them in to Baker shoes. The sales rep on the phone told me that I should get the same size for White's on the Northwest last as I wear in RW GT's. I have a pair of GT's in 11D and they're slightly long, but fit in the width. Then he emailed me again saying that White's recommended that I get an 11.5D based on my foot measurement (11.5" length with boot socks on). anyone with experience on how they sized? Much appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads