• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something I forgot to point out is the sliding doors on either side of the range. They can be closed and hide all the cooking stuff. They are made of marble and slide side to side.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Well that doesn't make too much sense to me. I wouldn't want to turn around and throw pots in the island sink - one, it will drip everywhere on the wood floors; two, this is the central island that's set up for guests to sit and have a drink while the meal is being prepared - I'm not throwing a stack of pans under their nose
smile.gif

I don't mind prepping away from the range on the island, as you explained, but the main sink location bothers me more. Why not put a pot-filler above the range for that purpose?

Dont know. This guy put the pot filler in a prep sink with a disposal (good idea for the way I cook and throw stuff away.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred49
I really hate prep sinks without the disposal

which is part of the reason I don't like the layout (I'm not talking about the look, which I think is generally fine). It isn't the most people friendly set-up. Lemme dig up pictures of a kitchen that I really like...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont know. This guy put the pot filler in a prep sink with a disposal (good idea for the way I cook and throw stuff away.

But then gome is right - it just doesn't work. If food is prepped on the island as you suggested, then the prep sink should be there. And the larger sink for pots and pans should be as close to the range as possible. I don't know- I guess everyone cooks differently.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
which is part of the reason I don't like the layout (I'm not talking about the look, which I think is generally fine). It isn't the most people friendly set-up. Lemme dig up pictures of a kitchen that I really like...

Ok I would agree with you guys the main sink should have been on the wall. Better presentation of food without the dirty dishes.
biggrin.gif
But the general look of the kitchen appeals to most.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're nit picking here. It looks pretty damn good.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
here is a kitchen, which IMO, had a very well done layout with not a whole lot of space. You have counter space, full working sink, prep space, stove, more prep space ... and then on the other side it's all cabinets and a counter, then the ovens, with an out-of-the-way dish rinser sink and dishwasher, then the firdge (IMO the placement of this is not my favorite but it seems to work out really well, and another prep area. In the end, the sink, ovens, fridge, and stove are all within one foot pivot of each other where there is plenty of space for storage and prep. At the time we literally had 8 to 10 people in the kitchen doing stuff and yet we weren't stepping on each other toe's.

Looking from one side down the island:
2127185120043813381S600x600Q85.jpg

and then looking the other way down the island (not my picture - duh):
23209109.JPG

**and yes, the dude has a very quarky style.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't like the range on the island, sorry. Those hoods also just don't work very well.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
a chalkboard kitchen wall is one of my little projects this year.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
It seems to be the utility that is bothering you most of all?

yeah, it's stuff like that I've come to notice the most. And while I hate the look of that fridge, the non-utility parts are fine. I really like the floors, actually. And I like marble.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Don't like the range on the island, sorry. Those hoods also just don't work very well.

I am not a fan of island ranges and vent either. I have scars on my forhead from some very stylish vent hoods with lots of sharp corners. The guy in the pic is using his head and has a nice soft glass edge on his vent hood. I dont like glass because it is a ***** to clean all the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads