• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

so I got fitted by the St. Crispin's founder today (pictorial)

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe II
Great photographs. Can we expect a report on Scheer and/or Knize?
smile.gif

If I had planned better in advance with fritzl this may have been possible. But now have to get back to work.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by fritzl
for the rest of the gang. i really appreciate your confidence to hand me over a pair of EG and i feel proud to add something to them. we'll lift up the curtain within these days to come...

Am really looking forward to seeing the fruits of this effort - thanks again!

Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
Lol, I am pretty sure that this arrangement was neither initially arranged by Attolini nor by StC...what a small world
smile.gif

Ahhh... was that your hand making this possible??

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i just love their trees

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
i just love their trees

Yup - SC shoes with the trees inside weigh less than most standalone trees.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
If I had planned better in advance with fritzl this may have been possible. But now have to get back to work.
smile.gif

fortunately, it won't be your last visit to vienna...
Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Am really looking forward to seeing the fruits of this effort - thanks again!
actually, it wasn't possible today to do a pair of trees from the scratch. mr. berta adjusted an existing pair. the shoes will be shined at the hotel. i hope they didn't mess them up
laugh.gif
also for the second pair, there might be a bit of improvent, either with mr. berta, mr. car or chay cooper from AS, though i'm pretty sure they work in an generic round toe. he also fixed a vintage pair of my trees for a restoration project of mine. he worked some magic into them. from my archive, mr. berta at work:
Bild069.jpg

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Yup - SC shoes with the trees inside weigh less than most standalone trees.

non of the english makers are able to offer the treee's like this now from what i understand it is a real shame

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
non of the english makers are able to offer the treee's like this now from what i understand it is a real shame

mr. car said something along the line, that the output of this trees is pretty low. iirc one pair per day. it takes a lot of experience and skills to do them. st. c. is very happy that they have this craftsman on board and they keep his identity secretly, more or less.

another maker told me recently, that he isn't too happy with his french supplier of hollowed trees. fwiw, he has a lot of fitting issues.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought St Crispins is strictly RTW and MTO, what is there to "fit"?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980

mr. car explained that their strategy is moving towards full bespoke. certainly, they want to keep the pret-shoes as basic line, but they are opting for more individulization, hence the show room with all their last models on display for customer meetings with the full monty measuring.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maomao1980

Hm, what about.... the shoe?

Modifications in the instep and forefoot area of the standard lasts are an option for their MTO programme btw.
Bespoke was offered, but at the moment it's on a halt, I think that almost all of their bespoke clients are based in Germany and they were fitted and measured by Mr.Rollig (who is now, as medtech explained, busy with his new project).

It's probably quite helpful if you have someone to guide you through a rtw selection if you never had the opportunity to try on you app. size in different lasts and in several widths, in +-0.5 sizings and still have the possiblity to adjust the last if necessary.

I think a realistic price, if offered by an english maker, given that they are made they same way StC makes them and made in England, would be ca.200-250GBP retail...
I dont know exactly why, but they use a large, massive block of high quality wood to carve, mill, shape the trees and it binds one worker for almost a whole day for a single pair.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Modifications in the instep and forefoot area of the standard lasts are an option for their MTO programme btw.

The problem with these modifications (which also other MTO manufacturers offer), they will only add materials (make parts of the last bigger), but will not reduce the last (to accommodate a narrow heel, for example). In the first case, once the job is done, they'll rip off the leather patches and are back to the standard last. Were they to reduce, they would end up with a freakish last, that might not fit anyone else.

Bespoke was offered, but at the moment it's on a halt,

Here is a pair of bespoke SC, made for Jun Kuwana:

http://cobblersweb.style.coocan.jp/s...nt120-top.html

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
The problem with these modifications (which also other MTO manufacturers offer), they will only add materials (make parts of the last bigger), but will not reduce the last (to accommodate a narrow heel, for example). In the first case, once the job is done, they'll rip off the leather patches and are back to the standard last. Were they to reduce, they would end up with a freakish last, that might not fit anyone else. Here is a pair of bespoke SC, made for Jun Kuwana: http://cobblersweb.style.coocan.jp/s...nt120-top.html
Here is another pair of SC bespoke, black-sepia co-respondents. If you want I can also look for a picture of the fitting belt. however, to my knowlledge, they dont take new bespoke customers at the moment.

tchoy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bengal-stripe;4083432 said:
The problem with these modifications (which also other MTO manufacturers offer), they will only add materials (make parts of the last bigger), but will not reduce the last (to accommodate a narrow heel, for example). In the first case, once the job is done, they'll rip off the leather patches and are back to the standard last. Were they to reduce, they would end up with a freakish last, that might not fit anyone else.

My experience with SC is that I was allowed to keep the existing last they made for my MTO shoes that my future orders should be exactly the same.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
......to my knowlledge, they dont take new bespoke customers at the moment.

That's quite possible, I wouldn't know. I only posted the JK link to show how their bespoke shoes look like (or maybe looked like).

What size and width is that shoe you posted? Looks enormous! Does the tiny hand belong to the shoe's owner?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tchoy
My experience with SC is that I was allowed to keep the existing last they made for my MTO shoes that my future orders should be exactly the same.

That is certainly a great improvement from the standard practice. Do they also (if needed) reduce sections of the last?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads