• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Should I take this opportunity?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
In the past week an 'opportunity' has presented itself and I'm not sure if I want to pursue it.

Here's the situation:

I'm an English/History major finishing up my degree. I just applied to 6 MA/PHD programs, 2 MA programs and I'm going to apply to one more MA program (my current school). All of these programs were in English.

Last week in one of my History classes, the professor and I got to talking and he told me I should apply to MA in History program in the school. He also told me to apply for funding, as he feels I can get it. He's on the admission committee for the school and used to run the entire program.

Should I do this? This isn't exactly something I necessarily want to do, but it's also not something I wouldn't enjoy, and if it's free .. and I don't get in anywhere else.. why not? At the same time, 2 years is 2 years.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you''ll still be in your 20's in two years... go for it. It's not like you're going to find a job that truly makes you happy, anyway.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
thankfully ill still be in my 20s for a lot more than 2 years lol

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Do you actually have interest in a History MA? I think that's the bigger question here. The application is meaningless, you can walk away at any time, but why get stuck in a program for 2 years if its not something you enjoy?

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rambo's right, you need to evaluate if you're able to self-motivate enough for the 2 years in History as opposed to English. I understand it would be nice to not graduate with debt, but maybe there are options at the places you applied for grants/bursaries/paid work opportunities?

You should also think about further than 2 years down the road about graduation. If you want to go back to English for a PhD it can be done but it might be more difficult academically since you didn't spend the time working on something directly in the field.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
honestly, I don't think I'd mind doing history. I know that's kind of a blase way to talk about something that'd take 2 years and a ton of effort, but I really think It'd be fine.

as to funding.. if I'm going to grad school, it's going to be funded. theres no way im taking any sort of debt to get a humanities grad degree. all of the phd programs I applied to have 5 years gauranteed, and for the MAs I applied for funding at all the schools. the issue is that the admissions rates are just so low rate now, I kind of want to have a 'sure thing'

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the harm in applying? History is more interesting anyway.
devil.gif
Both are fairly useless on their own (said as a classics major). There isn't anything you won't be able to do in 2 years that you would have been able to do now with a BA, assuming you don't get into any of the english programs.

Didn't you say that you wanted to teach at the university level though? I'd be damned sure I was studying something I was really in to because you're talking about way more than 2 years here...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Apply. You can always chose something else, and even if you stick with history, it's not like you couldn't work English Lit into that, i.e. a historical thesis on something to do with Eng. Lit.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
yea I guess I'll apply. I should make a thread about the costs of applying to grad school: I've spent approaching 3k now...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
So if you were making the SF minimum salary, would you give that up to complete a Ph.D. and teach, making the average wages a non-tenured prof gets?

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
I understand what you're asking, but I'm going to answer with a solid "maybe". There's a big difference between giving up $250,000 / year and deciding to pursue a career where you (like most people in America) won't make that.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think an MA in history is conducive to job placement. I say this as someone with a BA in history...I love the stuff, but where would you use that MA?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think you should keep overeducating yourself in the liberal arts until you're completely unemployable

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I understand what you're asking, but I'm going to answer with a solid "maybe". There's a big difference between giving up $250,000 / year and deciding to pursue a career where you (like most people in America) won't make that.

Yes, but I'm talking about giving up 250k (minimum) to get a few years more of graduate education to pursue a career, where apparently, "most people" in the sector make 40-60k.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads