• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

totenhosen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nytek
Just bought these two vintage Omegas to start my collection - one more formal and one a little casual.

OmegaWhite.jpg

OmegaBlue.jpg

Consider purchasing the one below as well to add the gold color, but I'm guessing it's better to mix it up with some other brands when starting a collection. It's just that the vintage Omegas seem to be such a great value and are really beautiful. Look at the picture below - what would you do?

OmegaGold.jpg

Should I buy or consider something else in the <$2K price range?

I don't have the credentials to speak to the merits of buying these as vintage or not but wow they look awesome. I'm a big fan of the ranchero (e.g. http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2008/10...-it-watch.html) as well.

nytek

Reaction score
Thanks, still debating buying the last one, but I think it's too similar to the first one I just purchased so I will likely let it pass.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by venessian
Even more rare:
White dial IWC Mark XV - "Gadebusch"; year 2000; 50 piece edition.
Compared to the (slightly) more common white dial Mark XV - this version offered a cleaner dial (no "˜Mark XV' printed above "˜Automatic'); individually numbered caseback (stamped XX / 50); the markers are applied as on the standard white dial Mark XV (vs. painted on the standard black dial Mark XV).

Yeah I remember that edition. It's what prompted me to go after the "standard" white dial when it was released.

Some more Mk XV love.
Spitfire.
spitfire4.jpg

spitfire2r.jpg

Overly large box with scarf.
1024image1008.jpg

Plain old black dial.
blackmkxv.jpg

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to try out Parnis, since they seem to have some cool designs and don't break the bank. I was surprised with the quality when I opened it up. I guess not all watches need to cost thousands of dollars. This will give me some variety while hunting for a red 72 Sub and saving for a new Daytona.

040.jpg

039-1.jpg

totenhosen

Reaction score
Does anyone care to comment about this watch/maker and my question about GMT function?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by totenhosen
<snip> Does anyone have any thoughts on Steinhart? I really like their Aviation GMT Automatic and am considering it for my first mechanical. Just am not 100% on the four allen looking bolts on the top being shinier than the matter watchcase.. Also thinking it may be a tiny bit too big for my wrist (19cm all the way around, 6-6.5cm looking down at it). Also wondering about the GMT functionality - I think the fourth hand has a different dial than the third hand.. at least it seems to point to the 24 hour coordinates on the raised dial, so a 6pm position for the third hand would be 12:00 (so midday) for the fourth hand. Would that be correct or am I missing something? Photos linked directly from: http://www.steinhartwatches.de/index...D=25&lang_nr=1
1171992877Aviation%20GMT1.JPG
1190982649Aviation%20GMT%202.JPG
2100061727Aviation%20GMT%203.JPG
1332397504Aviation%20GMT%207.JPG
1450722406Aviation%20GMT%209.JPG

Lokesh

Reaction score
Does anyone here know how much I can get a used Breitling Chronomat for? I'm looking for one with a blue face and in good condition... Also how much could a new one be had for from the black market?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on Steinhart? I really like their Aviation GMT Automatic and am considering it for my first mechanical. Just am not 100% on the four allen looking bolts on the top being shinier than the matter watchcase.. Also thinking it may be a tiny bit too big for my wrist (19cm all the way around, 6-6.5cm looking down at it).

2100061727Aviation%20GMT%203.JPG

Also wondering about the GMT functionality - I think the fourth hand has a different dial than the third hand.. at least it seems to point to the 24 hour coordinates on the raised dial, so a 6pm position for the third hand would be 12:00 (so midday) for the fourth hand. Would that be correct or am I missing something?

Anyone care to comment about this watch/maker and my question about GMT function?
smile.gif

Steinhart make excellent watches, although I find this particular model a bit bulky.

Yes, on a GMT (or UTC) watch the standard hour hand references the standard hour markers while the GMT/UTC hour hand references the 24-hour GMT/UTC hour markers. Minutes and seconds are of course the same for both.

The GMT/UTC hour hand rotates around the dial once every 24 hours. Therefore, one can use it to monitor a second time zone (displayed on the dial inner, dial outer, chapter ring, or GMT bezel) by setting the second time zone (can be GMT or any other zone) via the GMT hand. Some watches (for instance GMT divers) may have both GMT markers and a rotating GMT bezel, so that one can actually monitor 3 different time zones.

To set a GMT watch: if you live, for example. in the PST time zone and want to set the second time zone to EST, at 6:00 PM PST the standard hour hand would be set at 6:00, and the GMT hand would be set at 9:00 PM (21:00). If instead you wanted to set the second zone to GMT time the standard hour hand would be set at 6:00, and the GMT hand would be set at 1:00 AM (01:00). Etc.

If you are travelling to a different time zone, you can instead set the GMT/UTC hand to your home zone and set the standard hour hand to the local time in the zone that you are in. Just remember that Daylight Savings Time does not occur on the same day in each country!

This is a UTC watch with inner UTC markers (2 time zones).
sinn856utc.jpg

This is a GMT watch with outer GMT markers and seconds sub-dial (2 zones).
panerailuminorgmt.jpg

This is a GMT watch with a GMT chapter ring (2 zones).
steinhartaviationgmt.jpg

This is a GMT watch with a GMT bezel (2 zones).
mkiilrrpcapstone.jpg

This is a GMT watch with a GMT sub-dial (2 zones).
bmclassimaexecutivesaut.jpg

This is a UTC watch with a UTC time wheel (2 zones).
iwcspitfireutc.jpg

This is a GMT watch with both a non-rotating GMT chapter ring and a rotating GMT bezel (3 zones).
fortisb42gmt.jpg

These are just some examples. There are other types of GMT watches, but these are the basics. Hope that helps.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a cool shell cordovan band I like, which measures to about 15mm or 16mm. I know nothing about watches. is this a common enough size I will be able to find a cool watch to go with it?

Dutch design

Reaction score
Re: The Watch P0rn Thread
Black &amp; White....

Nice watches. Great collection... Enjoy of it!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tamz0r
anyone happen to know what model of patek philippe this is?

picture0361b.jpg

LOL

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
I found a cool shell cordovan band I like, which measures to about 15mm or 16mm. I know nothing about watches. is this a common enough size I will be able to find a cool watch to go with it?

That's a pretty small lug width for a men's watch. Normally 17 - 19mm for older models and 20mm and up for newer.

bing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nytek
Just bought these two vintage Omegas to start my collection - one more formal and one a little casual.

OmegaWhite.jpg

OmegaBlue.jpg

Consider purchasing the one below as well to add the gold color, but I'm guessing it's better to mix it up with some other brands when starting a collection. It's just that the vintage Omegas seem to be such a great value and are really beautiful. Look at the picture below - what would you do?

OmegaGold.jpg

Should I buy or consider something else in the <$2K price range?

very nice.

my only issue with these watches, i have one from the 40's, is that they are all sub 36mm... most of them 34mm. It's too small for me. They're very delicate too... not for a daily wearer... one good drop and you're replacing hands and crystals.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omega would make so much dough if it re-issued the DeVille, Ranchero, etc... in a 38 or 40mm case. Maybe powered by a larger movement for consistency. I would buy a new reissue Ranchero right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads