• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man of Steel (2013)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last Superman movie made decent money but it was also one of the most expensive films ever made at around $200m+. Internationally it made less than $400m and compared to TDK that cost less and made a billion bucks. And since that last Superman movie didn't hype up so well, chances are the next one might flop so having a huge budget with the same writers, cast and director is just not a risk they are willing to take.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NorCal
He'll be good the important thing is the script.

This. People obsess over all the wrong details. Casting is one of those details. Yes, the actor does make or break the part to some degree. But the script is much more important. I'll reseve judgment until I hear more details on the plot, and even then, I'll reserve judgment until I see previews.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Not a bad choice, at least he looks different. I do remember reading that they wanted to make Superman older in the next movie so this works.

I still believe in Nolan so I'll see what he brings to this movie. I also like Snyder and actually very much enjoyed 300 and Watchmen, and very much looking forward to his next film Sucker Punch, so that is more reason to like this movie. I guess we'll see a lot of green screen background and slow-mo action in the next film. Bring on Doomsday, bring on Brainiac, bring on Darkseid and kick the movie off in the right direction. See what the Joker did to TDK? Get those viarls working and there could be a very big movie here.

This. Brainiac might be tough (I don't know a ton about Superman), but he needs some bad-ass super powerful villain that he can punch/throw around/shoot laserbeams from his eyes at/use frozen breath on. It's a pretty one-dimensional character. We don't need to see Superman using his brain. That's what Batman's for.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Not a bad choice, at least he looks different. I do remember reading that they wanted to make Superman older in the next movie so this works.

I still believe in Nolan so I'll see what he brings to this movie. I also like Snyder and actually very much enjoyed 300 and Watchmen, and very much looking forward to his next film Sucker Punch, so that is more reason to like this movie. I guess we'll see a lot of green screen background and slow-mo action in the next film. Bring on Doomsday, bring on Brainiac, bring on Darkseid and kick the movie off in the right direction. See what the Joker did to TDK? Get those viarls working and there could be a very big movie here.

Fairly certain they have already announced that the villain is going to be Zod. Not my first choice, but at least he would give Supes someone strong to fight.

No way they could pull off Darkseid with any justice. I could see Brainiac, but Darkseid is too out there. Doomsday wouldn't work for a reboot, IMO.

ratratan

Reaction score
am still waiting for the quentin tarrantino bond movie with clive owen.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Fairly certain they have already announced that the villain is going to be Zod. Not my first choice, but at least he would give Supes someone strong to fight.

Why do you say things, when you know I will kill you?-Zod

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we'll get one half-decent Superman movie out of this, after several cinematographic turds. Good childhood memories for sure but still turds.

I would have much prefered Raimi or Favreau than Nolan or Snyder but I don't get to pick.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't wait to hear who they cast as Luthor. Lex won't be the main villain, but you got to know he's going to be in the film somehow.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Maybe we'll get one half-decent Superman movie out of this, after several cinematographic turds. Good childhood memories for sure but still turds. I would have much prefered Raimi or Favreau than Nolan or Snyder but I don't get to pick.
Favreau? Really? I think he got lucky with Iron Man 1 but the second one was entertaining but not as good as the first one. I mean just look at one jeff bridges had to say about the first film.
"They had no script, man. They had an outline. We would show up for big scenes every day and we wouldn't know what we were going to say. We would have to go into our trailer and work on this scene and call up writers on the phone, 'You got any ideas?' Meanwhile the crew is tapping their foot on the stage waiting for us to come on." Bridges, director Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr. would literally act out sequences during primitive rehearsals, Downey taking on Bridges's role and vice versa, to find and essentially improvise their way to full scenes, the actor recounts. Bridges says that the entire production was probably saved by the improv prowess of the film's director and star. "You've got the suits from Marvel in the trailer with us saying, 'No, you wouldn't say that,'" Bridges continued. "You would think with a $200 million movie you'd have the **** together, but it was just the opposite. And the reason for that is because they get ahead of themselves. They have a release date before the script, ‘Oh, we'll have the script before that time,' and they don't have their **** together. "Jon dealt with it so well," Bridges continues. "It freaked me out. I was very anxious. I like to be prepared. I like to know my lines, man, that's my school. Very prepared. That was very irritating, and then I just made this adjustment. It happens in movies a lot where something's rubbing against your fur and it's not feeling right, but it's just the way it is. You can spend a lot of energy bitching about that or you can figure out how you're going to do it, how you're going to play this hand you've been dealt. What you can control is how you perceive things and your thinking about it. So I said, ‘Oh, what we're doing here, we're making a $200 million student film. We're all just fuckin' around! We're playin'. Oh, great!' That took all the pressure off. ‘Oh, just jam, man, just play.' And it turned out great!"
It was most likely the production companies fault because they were rushed. It worked for the first one, not as well for the sequel. I am still not too impressed with Favreau though. I give more credit to what Downey and Bridges did than Favreau himself. I respect that he did turn down the job for the 3rd Iron Man film and the Avengers film because Marvel (Disney) is telling him what to do and all but I'm just not convinced he is as good of a director. I think the same problem is happening with the XMen: First Class film, it is set to release this June and they were still shooting scenes in LA last week.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Iron Man did turn out great, strong script or not - a very balanced film overall. So did Spider-Man. So clearly a testament to the talent of the directors. Compare that to the pseudo-dark-ninja-shaolin-smoky bullshit that the Dark Knight was... Yes, sure, perfectly storyboarded throughout, but a huge stack of lifeless, coolified waste for comic convention goth teenagers' consumption. So yeah... give me Favreau over Nolan any day... YMMV
smile.gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I got not problem with Raimi, SM! and SM2 were great, SM3 not so much but I think Marvel forced Venom down his throat so he made up a role for him which ruined the movie. So Raimi is cool in my books, Favreau, I still feel like he just lucked out with a great cast who could improv.

Really? TDK, goth?
lol8[1].gif
TDK is still the best comic book film out there despite Maggie Gylenhaals mug on the screen. Batman Begins was real good too.

Also interesting fact while listening to the radio earlier today, they mentioned that the main super heroes are now mostly Brit, Superman, Batman and Spider Man. At least they got a real American for Capt. America.
laugh.gif

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
doh... I meant Batman Begins not the Dark Knight for the inane shaolin BS... I fail
facepalm.gif

That said, Favreau's Elf is better than either films IMO
laugh.gif

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Don't forget Hugh Jackman who is like Australian.
lol8[1].gif

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
doh... I meant Batman Begins not the Dark Knight for the inane shaolin BS... I fail
facepalm.gif

That said, Favreau's Elf is better than either films IMO
laugh.gif

Women-wise maybe, Deschanel is just dreamy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads