• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neglected Shoes - worth repair?

NYliGuy

Reaction score
I have a pair of Cole Haan shoes that I like very much, but neglected them with not polishing and cleaning often, as well as not using shoetrees. The heels are worn where the rubber is down and some of the wood is now being worn down.

Would it be worth using Cole Hanns shoe restoration to get cleaned, new heels and soles as well as start using shoetrees? The cost would be $85-115 as opposed to purchasing a brand new pair.

If I knew the end result of the restoration service and how well it can revive a shoe I would make a decision. I just don't know if it would just be putting lipstick on a pig, and not really making them much better.

Any thoughts?

ns7

Reaction score
If you truly enjoy wearing them, I would get them restored. Others will probably tell you not to due to the shoes being CHs, but I say do what makes you happy.

The only thing I'd worry about is whether they are of high enough quality to last after they are restored.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NYliGuy

Would it be worth using Cole Hanns shoe restoration to get cleaned, new heels and soles as well as start using shoetrees? The cost would be $85-115 as opposed to purchasing a brand new pair.

Most certainly not. You should use that money to re-invest in a shoe that is made of quality materials and construction that can be restored. If you have a CH made in England or vintage, perhaps but even then I would just take it to a cobbler.

NYliGuy

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of Burgundy wingtip Allen Edwards on eBay for a very good price. I feel I got lucky on the price and the shape the shoes were in when they arrived.

I will look for similar bargains.

I understand everyone on this forums negativity towards CH, yet I feel they were great quality and enjoyed wearing them. First 'nice' shoe I purchased when graduating and getting my first job.

I had worn my CH shoes every workday for over the last two years and they held up very nicely considering my neglect on upkeep and lack of using shoetrees. I will admit that I have no comparison as all my other shoe experience are from my broke college days of Kenneth Cole shoes that would get worn out very quickly.

If I got these CH restored I wonder if they would look 'new' and last me a longtime with proper care. For $85 I see it as a good investment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads