• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

Doug C

Reaction score
seems like most of the sizing probs are centered around the small size pieces. At this point are any of the discount codes still working? - personally I'm wanting to go back for more...

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big price increase on their t-shirts which really sucks as that is one of my favorite things they make. Used to be $12.50 each if you bought 3 at a time, now they are $17 if you buy 3. I already have about a dozen thankfully but that is getting too expensive.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doug C
You guys that are size S (or XS or whatever) are most likely only that size because of age, no? I mean most people do not remain that size their whole life, not even Europeans or whoever. People generally grow over time, though I get the point about American's being bigger overall.... but then again this is an American company catering to American clients. Also, I think of the 'Canvas' line as basically being a 30somthing line (same as Jcrew) - give of take, and I use that description very loosly. There's other companies that are geared more towards the young skinny dudes.. Urban Outfitters, etc, etc. It's gret that those same guys like 'canvas' of course, but I've just never gotten the impression that they were trying to appeal to that set, and that's IMHO why the clothes my be looser than some are expecting. And again those expecting the chambrays the be snugger fitting... it's a replica of a workwear type shirt which would have never been snug, but even this one has a somewhat modern cut in comparison to originals. Again, JMHO.
I'm sorry but this is just dumb. Really? Everyone gets fat or packs on muscle as they get older? I mean I can understand that if you're talking about people under 18, but no as to adults. Lots of people stay a similar size their entire adult lives. I'm (within +/- 5lb) pretty much the same size now as I was when I started college back in '03 and I'll probably be roughly the same in another 10 years.

Originally Posted by johnH123
lol at morons trying to justify anorexic feminine figures as being 'normal males'. Go chug some protein and hit the gym.
this **** again? really? only one bodytype can be "manly"?

Originally Posted by slide13
I don't know how you guys who are 160-170 are fitting well in mediums....I'm 6' 195 and the mediums fit me great.
For the 10 millionth time... height and weight tell you very little about sizing. People distribute height and weight differently. I know people the same height and weight as me that fit a medium in a given brand that I wear xs in.

mk.ultra

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
this **** again? really? only one bodytype can be "manly"?

lets be honest here, most would consider a bigger, more muscular guy more "manly." obviously muscles don't make a man though, character and a rigorous set of morals does.

Doug C

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
I'm sorry but this is just dumb. Really? Everyone gets fat or packs on muscle as they get older? I mean I can understand that if you're talking about people under 18, but no as to adults. Lots of people stay a similar size their entire adult lives. I'm (within +/- 5lb) pretty much the same size now as I was when I started college back in '03 and I'll probably be roughly the same in another 10 years.
Dumb? Come on, you're just being naive. You're 26 and still in an xs? I'd say that's not typical at all. And don't necessarily bank on remaining the same size (xs when you're 50+?, lol) Lands'End knows it's not typical for guys in their target group to be that small - from experience and/or research I'm sure. Otherwise they'd offer it that way. Anyway - Anyone know if the codes from a couple of days ago are still working?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mk.ultra
obviously muscles don't make a man though, character and a rigorous set of morals does.

Also whether or not he eats meat and/or can drive stick.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doug C
Dumb? Come on, you're just being naive. You're 26 and still in an xs? I'd say that's not typical at all. And don't necessarily bank on remaining the same size (xs when you're 50+?, lol) Lands'End knows it's not typical for guys in their target group to be that small - from experience and/or research I'm sure. Otherwise they'd offer it that way.

Anyway - Anyone know if the codes from a couple of days ago are still working?

Really? You can't believe that? I don't think I"m the one being naive. Makes me curious about the people you know...
I ran in college. Most of the guys I ran with in college are also still the same size they were then. The majority (probably about 3/4) of coaches I've had, who are in their 50s-60s now, are still roughly the same build they were 30-40 years ago when they were my age. People that continue working out, if they don't decide to bulk up, will stay the same size.

However, majority of people, of course not. 2/3 of americans are overweight and most of them didn't start their adult lives that way, so yes a large portion of people change sizes over time. I just think you're overlooking the fact that people who continue the same eating/exercising habits they had when they were younger will stay a similar size...

wannabeagiant

Reaction score
Lands End Canvas is not a fashion label. We're not going to get the true slim fits that most of us on this board would like. They would be out of business if that was the case as most Americans wouldn't buy it. When the stuff is on deep discount like it is, just find the shirts/outerwear that fits you in the shoulders and then put $10-$15 of tailoring into it and you get decent fits.

jbharris88

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wannabeagiant
When the stuff is on deep discount like it is, just find the shirts/outerwear that fits you in the shoulders and then put $10-$15 of tailoring into it and you get decent fits.

+1 You can't beat casual shirts for <$10

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is worthless without pics if people are going to argue whether or not their XS frame is feminine or if someone wearing a medium is obese.

stimulacra

Reaction score
After returning some stuff got my latest order in. Charcoal Grey Poplin Workshirt. http://bit.ly/gXO2G4 Great fit (I got the medium) and the dark charcoal grey is a very complimentary color if you like darker subdued shirts. The heather pattern and black buttons gives it just enough visual contrast to set it apart. Great find and a steal for the $8.99 I paid. Might circle back for the indigo heather. The Fairisle Sweater I got in Medium, became available in small at the lower price with the additional sale a couple of weeks back. The fit is a lot better, the lesson is clear, definitely size down. Chambray Shorts: They fit fine, the color is a little too faded but for the price they'll do. Will pair with white oxfords or linen shirts only. All in all a great deal. The return of my previous stuff went easy enough. They just glanced through the stuff and credited the card within 2 days.

blynch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
big price increase on their t-shirts which really sucks as that is one of my favorite things they make. Used to be $12.50 each if you bought 3 at a time, now they are $17 if you buy 3. I already have about a dozen thankfully but that is getting too expensive.

$20 regular price now, that sucks. Glad I stocked up at around $10 and less, ts are probably their best item.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
That's the style of shirt I got and it's going back. Their shirts are very narrow through the chest, to the point you recognize that there's a problem just buttoning up the shirt as you put it on. The polo fit fine, but the fabric is the thickness of a sheet of toilet paper.
Originally Posted by stimulacra
After returning some stuff got my latest order in. Charcoal Grey Poplin Workshirt. http://bit.ly/gXO2G4 Great fit (I got the medium) and the dark charcoal grey is a very complimentary color if you like darker subdued shirts. The heather pattern and black buttons gives it just enough visual contrast to set it apart. Great find and a steal for the $8.99 I paid. Might circle back for the indigo heather. The Fairisle Sweater I got in Medium, became available in small at the lower price with the additional sale a couple of weeks back. The fit is a lot better, the lesson is clear, definitely size down. Chambray Shorts: They fit fine, the color is a little too faded but for the price they'll do. Will pair with white oxfords or linen shirts only. All in all a great deal. The return of my previous stuff went easy enough. They just glanced through the stuff and credited the card within 2 days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads