• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets talk Homemade Pizza

spence

Reaction score
Having made pizza dough a hundred times, now I usually just buy store bought dough and grill it.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I think this is largely a myth. The dough is the hardest part.

I don't think you have ever had a true Neapolitan pizza. The ultra-high heat makes the bottom charred, the exterior crispy and the interior chewy and moist.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
I don't think you have ever had a true Neapolitan pizza. The ultra-high heat makes the bottom charred, the exterior crispy and the interior chewy and moist.

I'm reading that there are effective ways to mimic that taste. That said, there are many other great kinds of pizza to be made.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer down here so i have been cooking them in my webber using a pizza stone.

Any topping recomendations? a couple of my recent favourites

Proscuito, goats cheese amd thyme
Rosmary, olive oil, salt
fillet steak, onions, cream cheese
caramalised onions, olives, anchovies

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels

i would have thought the quality ingredients would also be hard to track down...

day old vine ripened heirloom variety tomatos grown in volcanic soil for example

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spence
Having made pizza dough a hundred times, now I usually just buy store bought dough and grill it.

this.

Tjs plain dough rested for a couple hrs and grilled=close to perfection

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
That said, there are many other great kinds of pizza to be made.
I enjoyed one the other night ... topped with grapes (red and green), caramelized onion, & chevre.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm getting really good at making Neapolitan pizza. You need fresh mozzarella and a very simple sauce: quality crushed tomatoes, salt, garlic, oil. Then top it with basil and red pepper flakes. I like Pecorino Romano instead of Parmesan if I use grated cheese. A pizza peal helps tremendously and a stone is a must.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Can these be had at Home Depot?

I dont know. I only heard that bit of advice after I had already purchased an expensive pizza stone.

eternaldrake

Reaction score
Heres a really good, albeit long, read about homemade pizza making: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php good resource also

I've been meaning to start making pizzas myself but I've got a few snags I've hit I need to sort out before I really make anything. Firstly, I can't find any sourdough starter anywhere locally, only one little store has it and its always out of stock so I might just get some online. Secondly, since I'm on campus and don't have the option of rigging the selfcleaning mode on their oven, I can't cook at ideal temps. To help deal with that I was gonna probably try to make a more NY style pizza but I also can't find any decent high protein flour locally (ideally Sir Lancelot King Arthur flour), so I'll probably have to go online for that too.

On the other hand I do have a place within 10 minutes that has imported buffala mozzerella so once I get the dough and oven settings to where I need I should be able to make some pretty ******* nice pizzas, which is nice since in this podunk town theres nowhere to get a good one.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eternaldrake
Heres a really good, albeit long, read about homemade pizza making: http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php good resource also

I've been meaning to start making pizzas myself but I've got a few snags I've hit I need to sort out before I really make anything. Firstly, I can't find any sourdough starter anywhere locally, only one little store has it and its always out of stock so I might just get some online. Secondly, since I'm on campus and don't have the option of rigging the selfcleaning mode on their oven, I can't cook at ideal temps. To help deal with that I was gonna probably try to make a more NY style pizza but I also can't find any decent high protein flour locally (ideally Sir Lancelot King Arthur flour), so I'll probably have to go online for that too.

On the other hand I do have a place within 10 minutes that has imported buffala mozzerella so once I get the dough and oven settings to where I need I should be able to make some pretty ******* nice pizzas, which is nice since in this podunk town theres nowhere to get a good one.

I've read that if you're making NY style pizza you don't need the authentic buffalo style mozza. All you need is mozza that you grate yourself from the grocery store. Have you seen Kenji's writeup on good eats? As far as I'm concerned....it is the best I've seen.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Said it in the last homemade pizza threak: secret to the dough is to have it rise overnight in the fridge. It's how to get the really good gluten network thing going so you can stretch the dough into a "window pane." Crispy and thin yet chewy is the goal.

After you knead your dough, get it in a nice ball, coat with olive oil, place in large bowl and then lay plastic wrap over top so it is in contact with the dough but has excess on the sides, so that as the dough rises, the plastic will maintain contact.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Said it in the last homemade pizza threak: secret to the dough is to have it rise overnight in the fridge. It's how to get the really good gluten network thing going so you can stretch the dough into a "window pane." Crispy and thin yet chewy is the goal.

After you knead your dough, get it in a nice ball, coat with olive oil, place in large bowl and then lay plastic wrap over top so it is in contact with the dough but has excess on the sides, so that as the dough rises, the plastic will maintain contact.

Reinhart talks about this point in his book and describes in great detail the window pane test. I've found we have had greater success when we use our grill than when using our oven.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
Reinhart talks about this point in his book and describes in great detail the window pane test. I've found we have had greater success when we use our grill than when using our oven.

I haven't made pizza in well over a year, due to my dietary changes, but I would put a pizza stone in the often at 500 and let it heat for 45-60 minutes. Pizza would only take about eight minutes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads