• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OFFICIAL Fragrance Split Discussion Thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaulYAY
If anyone is willing to subsplit the original split on the Bois du Portugal (10 or maybe 20mL) and possibly for future splits, please let me know. If rambo's splits are all 50mL, I might be willing to become the subsplitter myself for upcoming splits. I'd just need some help as to how to do this exactly. I'm looking to get my collection started with many different scents rather than very much of any one. This is my new favorite thread btw
smile.gif

Paul, PM any members on the split and see if they'd be willing to sell you 10ml. If they are, let me know, and I can do it while I'm putting everything together.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lest anyone think Rambo is a great guy for doing the splits..

context: I had already paid for the BdP juice, which Rambo still had and was about to split.

This runs bottom up if anyone cares to read it.

Quote:
I'm just going to do some math, don't mind me..

juice $21
shipping $6
atomizers $4
-------------------
$31

rambo asks for $50
costs $31
--------------------------
rambo's profit $19 !!!

rambo's profit $19/ rambo's costs $31 = ?? !!

I was perhaps too civil the first time. But since you brought it up, I'd say that looks like a rip-off to me.

Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo
I read it correctly the first time. I've contacted Curt and informed him of my preference. If you want to get in on a future split, with clearly defined terms, you are more than welcome. This deal is off the table. Take care.

Alexander

Quote:
might want to re-read it, unless you understand and were just getting defensive. that's ok. take care.

Quote:
Paul,

Did I miss the boat here? You keep implying that I'm trying to rip you off somehow. I don't get it.
I don't think I'm comfortable with this after all. I'm going to contact Curt and tell him that he can decant his portion to you himself. Thanks anyway and take care.

Alexander

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-Glass-Atomizer...item563f9ca5e1

So that looks to be $10 convenience plus I overestimated the cost of atomizers.. One of the things that attracted me to the splits was the transparency and how it was done for the mutual benifit of the high volume discount. I'm fine with paying a small convenience fee, but it strikes me that I'm getting a different treatment (perhaps just because I'm not buying higher volume, which would be understandable). Maybe I'll just stick to samples. What do I owe you for the BdP? -Paul

Quote:
Paul,

Don't worry. You're not offending my sensibilities. I asked for $5 on the Creed split because I wasn't keeping any of the juice, just doing it to help out other forum members. It's a tremendous pain ********** to do and I felt it was only fair to get a tiny bit for my my time and effort.

The 10ml atomizers are plastic. If you want glass, let me know so I can order it.

Meet me in the middle @ $45. Seems fair. My Paypal is [email protected]. Please send it over as a gift payment and include your forum name and what you're getting. Thanks.

Alexander

Quote:
Just wanted to give you the breakdown estimate of my offer so you can correct me if I'm off base. I don't want to step on any toes while I'm new to this. Juice (21), glasswear x2 (8, based on the $4 breakdown in the origninal listing for 3X larger volume), shipping $6, $5 convenience (I've seen you ask for $5 convenience on some but not others, let me know about this). -Paul

Quote:
The original listing is in the thread. I think it was $80 for the $30ml.

I should have made it clear that I was going to do the 10ml Creed for you included in the price. I thought that seemed fair. If you don't think so, make me an offer.

Fragrances can last a long long time if they're not exposed to much light or heat. Most keep them in a drawer or closet. The FM split came from Aedes. They're one of the best sites on the net and do crazy business at their NY location. Mostly, these high end fragrances come from good quality locations since that's the only places where they are sold.

-A

Quote:
I assumed I would save a bit more over the small volume price by it being a large volume split (?). I haven't seen the original listing for that split so I need to read up some more I guess. I'm going to have to think about this one a bit longer. Also, I've been reading about the limited shelf life of high-end fragrances and how they end up at discount, etc. I notice that some of the splits (speaking in general from what I remember) don't list place of purchase.. is there a place where I can read reviews of various retailers/outlets? Thanks, Paul

Quote:
Paul,

The Perfumed Court is selling 8ml's for $46. How's the 10 for $50 sound? Just so you know, the 10ml is missing a ml or 2 so I have a sample direct from FM that's half full to make up the difference. That's sort of the way the split broke down. Just trying to be up front.

Alexander

Quote:
Yeah, definately. The reviews look promising. Thanks

Quote:
Paul,

Just wanted to let you know that I have 10ml left over from my Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur split. If you're interested let me know.

Alexander

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh you gotta be kidding me with this ****. Yes, I'm the bad guy here. I noticed how you conveniently left out my last PM. I'll include it, since it seems that it slipped your mind:
No problem. Now allow me to correct you: juice - I don't know how you got to $21 but I said $25 - 30. Again, TPC charges $45 for 8ml. I never agreed to $21 and you never asked for that. shipping - $6 for priority atomizers - $3 a pop shipped = $6 my time - is that worth nothing to you? Now, we're at $37 - 42 and that's without having to take out any time to put this crap together for you. So, frankly, I don't think that $45 was out of bounds by any stretch of the imagination. I think I was right in my decision.
And you wonder why I had no interest in helping you out. Hell, even after you accused me of cheating you I offered to let you get in on any future split. Clearly, I'm a bad guy.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Next up: A split of Ormonde Jayne's Ormonde Man - CLOSED The description from the OJ website for Ormonde Man: Ormonde Man, a most sophisticated fragrance, despite its unconventional ingredients. Complex and full of character, sultry and mystical, the fragrance exudes soft woody notes, but it is the infusion of Oudh oil, the world's most prized essence since time immemorial, that sets it apart, elevating the scent to one of true distinction. This enigmatic creation epitomises the audacious innovation of Ormonde Jayne's first perfume for men - it's so sensual, you may just have to surrender yourself. Top: Juniper berry, bergamot, pink pepper, cardamom and coriander seeds Heart: Oudh and black hemlock Base: Vetiver, cedar, sandalwood and musk OJ offers a Travel Kit of 4x 10ml bottles. It is the same price per oz as the 50ml bottle so that's the route I'm going to go with. Why bother decanting all the juice, labeling everything, and going through all the cleanup when I can just get OJ to do it for me. OJ charges a flat rate of 16gbp to ship to the US so all 3 of the splits will be the same cost (56gbp for the kit and 6gbp for shipping) = 62gbp. According to XE.com, 62gbp = $98.4. So, $99 +$5 for shipping = $104. That comes out to $26 per 10ml vial, assuming OJ doesn't smack me with any customs charges or I don't get hit with any foreign transaction fees. Their website is a bit weird in that you don't checkout right away but they email you after your select what you want to buy. Payments will be provided via Paypal Gift only. PM me to sign up. International shipping will be extra at the buyer's expense. THIS POST IS FOR ORMANDE MAN ONLY. SEE THE OTHER POSTS FOR ISFARAKAND AND ZIZAN. 1.) Rambo 2.) Thomas 3.) Raybert 4.) james_timothy Opening up split #2 5.) governeryyc 6.) bullethead 7.) GSaavedra 8.) PITAronin

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Next up: A split of Ormonde Jayne's Isfarakand - CLOSED A description from the Ormonde Jayne website: Super cool in style, vibrant and sensual, Ormonde Jayne introduces her latest fragrance for men, Isfarkand. Beautifully balanced notes of lime, mandarin and bergamot all wrapped up in pink pepper, cedar, vetiver and moss. It's uncomplicated, yet dynamic and very addictive. Beware gentlemen, it could be habit forming. Top:Lime, mandarin and bergamot Heart:pink Pepper Base:Cedar, vetiver and moss OJ offers a Travel Kit of 4x 10ml bottles. It is the same price per oz as the 50ml bottle so that's the route I'm going to go with. Why bother decanting all the juice, labeling everything, and going through all the cleanup when I can just get OJ to do it for me. OJ charges a flat rate of 16gbp to ship to the US so all 3 of the splits will be the same cost (56gbp for the kit and 6gbp for shipping) = 62gbp. According to XE.com, 62gbp = $98.4. So, $99 +$5 for shipping = $104. That comes out to $26 per 10ml vial, assuming OJ doesn't smack me with any customs charges or I don't get hit with any foreign transaction fees. Their website is a bit weird in that you don't checkout right away but they email you after your select what you want to buy. Payments will be provided via Paypal Gift only. PM me to sign up. International shipping will be extra at the buyer's expense. THIS POST IS FOR ISFARAKAND ONLY! PLEASE SEE THE OTHER POSTS FOR ORMONDE MAN AND ZIZAN. 1.) Rambo 2.) fashion_newbie 3.) Raybert 4.) loveswatching

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last PM was after my post tough guy.

Now let me respond,

juice: (it's not a split if you're upselling the juice cost. From page 1 of the thread: $70 juice/ 33 mL. You are the handler so there are no other costs.

atomizers: you're either lying or you're overpaying. Let's not split hairs though, there is plenty of profit to offset any minute claims. If anything, I overestimated the cost of the atomizer on purpose so as not to get this.

Result: Rambo is asking for >60% upcharge on a service that is presented as a non-profit service. Mr. K was asked for transparency when he charged a few dollars above cost.

Again, the appeal of the splits to me was that we can all benefit by buying together to get the volume discount. Instead, I get Rambo saying 'this site charges $46 for 8 mL, how does 50 for ten sound?' (read the transcript, it's there)

@Rambo-
facepalm.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Next up: A split of Ormonde Jayne's Zizan: CLOSED A description from the Ormonde Jayne website: Zizan, a perfume like no other because it has everything a man could possibly want in a single spectacular scent. This is a powerhouse perfume. Expect a deluge of boisterous Sicilian lime, lemon and bergamot but to smooth the biting edge, a brilliantly refined concentration of vetiver. Zizan belongs to the domain of the worldly, highly sophisticated and cultivated. It also belongs to the strategist - the man who knows how to seduce. Top: Sicilian lime, lemon, bergamot, clary sage, pink pepper and juniper berry. Heart: Bay, violet and jasmine. Base: Vetiver, cedar, musk and amber. OJ offers a Travel Kit of 4x 10ml bottles. It is the same price per oz as the 50ml bottle so that's the route I'm going to go with. Why bother decanting all the juice, labeling everything, and going through all the cleanup when I can just get OJ to do it for me. OJ charges a flat rate of 16gbp to ship to the US so all 3 of the splits will be the same cost (56gbp for the kit and 6gbp for shipping) = 62gbp. According to XE.com, 62gbp = $98.4. So, $99 +$5 for shipping = $104. That comes out to $26 per 10ml vial, assuming OJ doesn't smack me with any customs charges or I don't get hit with any foreign transaction fees. Their website is a bit weird in that you don't checkout right away but they email you after your select what you want to buy. Payments will be provided via Paypal Gift only. PM me to sign up. THIS POST IS FOR ZIZAN ONLY! PLEASE SEE THE OTHER POSTS FOR ORMONDE MAN AND ISFARAKAND. 1.) 2.) 3.) 4.)

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Froggy - If you're going to run a split please put up a proper post advertising. No more of this in post business.

I've updated the OP to include all outstanding and upcoming splits. If you've got interest in a split, let me know. If you've decided to host a split, let me know so I can update the OP.

Quick, hide the evidence!

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The last PM was after my post tough guy. Now let me respond, juice: (it's not a split if you're upselling the juice cost. From page 1 of the thread: $70 juice/ 33 mL. You are the handler so there are no other costs. atomizers: you're either lying or you're overpaying. Let's not split hairs though, there is plenty of profit to offset any minute claims. If anything, I overestimated the cost of the atomizer on purpose so as not to get this. Result: Rambo is asking for >60% upcharge on a service that is presented as a non-profit service. Mr. K was asked for transparency when he charged a few dollars above cost. Again, the appeal of the splits to me was that we can all benefit by buying together to get the volume discount. Instead, I get Rambo saying 'this site charges $46 for 8 mL, how does 50 for ten sound?' (read the transcript, it's there) @Rambo-
facepalm.gif

The only reason I'm going to bother playing along here is that you're accusing me of trying to rip you off, and by extension everybody else, and I take my reputation very seriously. Somebody had contacted me about 10ml from the MR split and I had agreed to sell it to him for $40. Unfortunately, after I had set it up for him, he backed out on me. So, since you had expressed interest, I thought I would offer it to you instead. I offered it to you at $40 + $10 for the 10ml decant costs that I was making for you from the Creed split. ThePerfumedCourt is one of the most respected decant sites on the net and, while their prices are usually high, they're not unreasonable. Even still, I gave you a better deal than what they were offering. You bitched and moaned so lowered my offer to $45. Was this wrong of me? You might think so. But you need to understand that I don't care about what you think. Not one iota. You missed out on the MR split, and the Creed split, and I was going to use my time and effort and do you a favor by letting you get in on the juice, packing it up, labeling it, PMing you with updates, and shipping it out for you. If you didn't like the price that I was offering then fine, walk away, and get your product somewhere else. But don't come in here like a little *****, pissing and moaning about how you're getting the short end of the stick.

PaulYAY

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice ad hominem reply. How again did you come up with the juice cost at "$25-30"?
lol8[1].gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Nice ad hominem reply. How again did you come up with the juice cost at "$25-30"?
lol8[1].gif

Leave this thread unless you're going to discuss a current split. If you want to continue this feel free to PM me. Of course, I won't reply, but you're still more than welcome.

loveswatching

Reaction score
Next up: A split of Ormonde Jayne's Isfarakand

A description from the Ormonde Jayne website:

Super cool in style, vibrant and sensual, Ormonde Jayne introduces her latest fragrance for men, Isfarkand. Beautifully balanced notes of lime, mandarin and bergamot all wrapped up in pink pepper, cedar, vetiver and moss. It's uncomplicated, yet dynamic and very addictive. Beware gentlemen, it could be habit forming.

Top:Lime, mandarin and bergamot
Heart
:pink Pepper
Base
:Cedar, vetiver and moss

OJ offers a Travel Kit of 4x 10ml bottles. It is the same price per oz as the 50ml bottle so that's the route I'm going to go with. Why bother decanting all the juice, labeling everything, and going through all the cleanup when I can just get OJ to do it for me. OJ charges a flat rate of 16gbp to ship to the US so all 3 of the splits will be the same cost (56gbp for the kit and 6gbp for shipping) = 62gbp. According to XE.com, 62gbp = $98.4. So, $99 +$5 for shipping = $104. That comes out to $26 per 10ml vial, assuming OJ doesn't smack me with any customs charges or I don't get hit with any foreign transaction fees. Their website is a bit weird in that you don't checkout right away but they email you after your select what you want to buy. Payments will be provided via Paypal Gift only. PM me to sign up.

THIS POST IS FOR ISFARAKAND ONLY! PLEASE SEE THE OTHER POSTS FOR ORMONDE MAN AND ZIZAN.

1.) Rambo
2.) fashion_newbie
3.) Raybert
4.)

I will take the 4th spot. Thanks.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by loveswatching
I will take the 4th spot. Thanks.
Alright! If anyone else wants in on Isfarakand please let me know. If we can get 4 more people I have no problem ordering another travel kit.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
lest anyone think Rambo is a great guy for doing the splits..

context: I had already paid for the BdP juice, which Rambo still had and was about to split.

This runs bottom up if anyone cares to read it.

I thought hard about this before deciding to weigh in on this, but I wanted to say a couple of things here:

First: price variations by size and the nature of decanted scents - this is nothing unusual among decanters, and also even among manufacturers who offer multi-sizes: Take, for instance Le Labo - if you want Oud 27, you can choose from a 15ml size at $52 ($34.6 / 10ml), up to 500ml at $650 ($13 / 10 ml). As for decanters, it's not peculiar to see per/ml costs running roughly 2x - 2.5x per ml compared to what a bottle costs, particularly for limited-distribution / high-value scents like Malle / some Chanel, etc.

Second, between you and Rambo, I ought to mention that decanting/splitting isn't the easy moneymaker some make it out to be. Costs add up pretty quickly, particularly the cost to acquire and have it shipped to the splitter (taxes, shipping, etc). For reference, one person I checked with came in between $3 and $4 /ml for his Malles (although Musc Ravageur wasn't on his list). Then add shipping to that. Every split thread I've seen has been transparent enough for me to consider a fair deal.

So, that's my $0.02

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics