• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Can a weaver fix satin?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a tiny nick in the lapel of a new tux. Only other one in the store had a really bad scratch across one lapel and the one a size up had the little threads holding the lapel to the collar severed, and this one is unnoticeable to anyone but me (since I know it's there). Looks more like a tiny bit of pilling than anything else (even though I've not seen that on satin).

Can a weaver fix this if it gets any worse? Also, what does it cost to have new satin facings put on a tux at some point if need-be?

Or is this just something that will eventually happen to satin, given the nature of the material, and I should just forget about?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
I found a tiny nick in the lapel of a new tux. Only other one in the store had a really bad scratch across one lapel and the one a size up had the little threads holding the lapel to the collar severed, and this one is unnoticeable to anyone but me (since I know it's there). Looks more like a tiny bit of pilling than anything else (even though I've not seen that on satin).

Can a weaver fix this if it gets any worse? Also, what does it cost to have new satin facings put on a tux at some point if need-be?

Or is this just something that will eventually happen to satin, given the nature of the material, and I should just forget about?

those stitches at the collar and lapel can be replaced by a tailor in about 60 seconds.
or you can do it with a needle and black thread in about 5 minutes.
if you have ragged finger nails or heavy callused hands, touching satin may cause snags or scratches

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
those stitches at the collar and lapel can be replaced by a tailor in about 60 seconds. or you can do it with a needle and black thread in about 5 minutes. if you have ragged finger nails or heavy callused hands, touching satin may cause snags or scratches
So basically I can assume that at some point in its life, I'll have a nick or two on anything made of satin? I didn't see the nick in the store (that hard to see), and I won't have a chance to go back (driving back to LA tonight), but thinking this is one of those "just try and forget about it" situations. But, I want to make sure it's fixable should it get worse (a few tiny fibers hanging off, which I trimmed with a tiny scissors so they couldn't catch on anything).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got home and took a pic. It's the little dark spec inside the white box. It's just under the lapel button hole, which will help gauge the size/location. This was done on my Droid camera phone, so not the best pic...

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping this to see if anyone else has experience with a weaver being able to "buff" a pin dot-sized nick out of satin. Or is this the sort of thing people just live with in their tuxedo facings?

I'm also thinking about whether it makes sense to contact Zegna and see the cost of replacement facings, and if I can order them just to have on hand for a "what if" moment (like worse scratches).

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
OCD?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
OCD?
About which part, fixing a nick or locating spare facings? What can I say, when it comes to my wardrobe, think of a cross between Jack Nicholson in "As Good As It Gets" and Dustin Hoffman in "Rainman."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads