• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with starting work

GodAtum

Reaction score
I'm starting work in London and need some style advice. I have a pinstripe suit:
photo.JPG
I'm looking to buy some shirts, I think I'm right in saying they should be plain with a patterend tie or striped with a plain tie? I already have plain dark blue, plain light blue and plain purple shirts. I need slim fit non-iron but they are very to find. A list I've come up with: Autograph Ultimate Non-Iron Pure Cotton Multi-Stripe Shirt Ultimate Non-Iron Pure Cotton Multi-Stripe Shirt Autograph Non-Iron Pure Cotton Sateen Stripe Shirt Collezione Pure Cotton Bold Shadow Stripe Shirt Autograph Pure Cotton Narrow Stripe Shirt Autograph Non-Iron Pure Cotton Fine Stripe Shirt Im also looking for a v-neck jumper/sweater. Will a grey one be the most versatile? Many thanks for you help.

Grenadier

Reaction score
I would avoid striped shirts with that suit because the stripe is so strong. Do you have any other suits?

GodAtum

Reaction score
Its hard finding a great choice of plain + non iron + slim fit + 100% cotton shirts! Or am I being too picky?

Last Year's Man

Reaction score
might be worth trying h&m if you've not got too much money to spend. Most of their shirts are slim fitting, though can I ask why the insistence on non-iron shirts?
Uniqlo has less choice in terms of colours but IMO you should probably just stick to white and light blue rather than fancy stripes and colours. A pinstripe suit makes a bit of impact anyway so I'd stick to simple shirts\\ties\\ accessories.

fuzzywazzy

Reaction score
Please wear plain dress shirt with solid color if you would wear the striped suit. Wearing striped shirt underneath this suit is something I consider as "overkill".

GodAtum

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuzzywazzy
Please wear plain dress shirt with solid color if you would wear the striped suit. Wearing striped shirt underneath this suit is something I consider as "overkill".

OK, what tie should I wear, a plain one or a patterned one?

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GodAtum
OK, what tie should I wear, a plain one or a patterned one?

Both would work as long as it's not striped.

retozimmermann

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Both would work as long as it's not striped.

Dotted, or Pasley would work, plain of course, and I would even say striped just as long as it is not striped vertically ;-) and only if the stripes are significantly broader than the pinstripes of the suit.

GodAtum

Reaction score
Cool Ive got plenty of plain and dotted ties
smile.gif
I had a look in CT but they only had shirts with cufflinks which I think are a bit too showy? if I have a light skin tone would a dark colour shirt look better? Which shade of grey is the most versitile (Charcoal, mid-grey or light grey)? Autograph Pure Cashmere V-Neck Jumper

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Last Year's Man
ironing isn't hard

here's a guide

pshh... amateur video. this is the real deal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
pshh... amateur video. this is the real deal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

+1 amazing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads