• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best mobile phone provider?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now that I've got my own job, etc., I'll be going off the family cellphone plan and onto my own. We have AT&T, which I absolutely detest. So that's a no go. What's the general feeling on Verizon and T-Mobile? Sprint? Any persistent problems with these companies?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, and I'd prefer to do prepaid if possible. Don't want to sign a contract unless I have to.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
connneman - I got on virgin mobile 6 months and love it.

$25/month for unlimited data, text and 300 minutes. Plus they just released a really sweet LG Optimus android phone - $150, total.

On AT&T I spent $60 month for unlimited talk, 1500 text and ****** phones. cant believe I did that for 5+ years.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19

$25/month for unlimited data, text and 300 minutes. Plus they just released a really sweet LG Optimus android phone - $150, total.

On AT&T I spent $60 month for unlimited talk, 1500 text and ****** phones. cant believe I did that for 5+ years.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't recommend virgin if you talk a lot. ******* virgins charges minutes for voicemail and calls received. Unlimited data and is text is cool though.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't recommend virgin if you talk a lot. ******* virgins charges minutes for voicemail and calls received. Unlimited data and is text is cool though.

True. But voicemail takes what... 2 minutes, most? And calls received, well, yea... that is talk time.

Fact is - for me personally - I text and use email 1000x more than talk; Im a guy and talk as little as possible. Hell, I only use about 150-200 minutes on that phone a month. If I need to make a call Ill use my work phone or skype or something else.

The other thing is, on AT&T prepaid and some others, they charge you $1 a day just to use it. The quality of phone plus what you get is unbeatable. IMO.

superbadboi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19

I used virgin for 6 months, but it wasn't the best. I'm back with t-mobile. It's not because it's better, it's cause I have used it all my life... something to think about

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are in the northeast US, verizon has the best service/network. They used to be Bell Atlantic, so they "own" the northeast.

Sprint absolutely sucks (worse than AT&T) in the New York area.

AT&T is better out in california.

That is all in terms of technical capacity, calls dropped, coverage, etc.

As for deals, most of the big companies sell through "off brand" labels, but it is tricky to find out which network you will be on. But if you do, you can get a good network for a lower cost.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go with Verizon. At & T sucks

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Go with Verizon. At & T sucks

w/o question do this^^^

Frostedbutts

Reaction score
Find out about service in your area and places you are commonly at. For example: A lot of my friend have AT&T and the service is beyond god awful where I live, but for some reason out in some other places south of us I get **** service and they do just fine. My friend with T mobile doesn't get a single bar of reception in my basement, but my Verizon has service all throughout my house.

My grandpas house gets 0 verizon reception, but Tmobile and Sprint get excellent reception.

Just do some looking out, ask your friends and some people you know how their service is.

polo votarient

Reaction score
I had ATT for a while and I was able to pretty much get away with any overage that I racked up, and then I swithced to verizon and the story changed completly. Their service is superior from what I have noticed though, but make sure you get a plan that suites you or else your going to get screwed with overages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads