• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

dbc

Reaction score
What kind of jacket/coat would go well with a pair of black, lightly-striped trousers?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ag229487
Does anyone own the BB Fitzgerald Donegal sport coat and can attest to its quality?

I am looking at the black/white one. Anyone have pics of it in real life?

I don't own that coat, but I do own other BB Fitzgerald sportcoats. It's probably made in China, but the quality is fine. Brooks Brothers doesn't sell crap. You can probably get it on deep discount right now, too. Most of their seasonal stuff is 40% off this timne of year.

Originally Posted by Liran
i know, but it looks authentic or not?

Who cares? It's a T-shirt.

shasta

Reaction score
where can i find an off the rack, natural shouldered, 2 button navy blazer?

rtb178

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any quality sweater brands that have a bit of extra length? I'm looking for cashmere or merino wool sweaters that are big enough for me, but also not too long or baggy. I wear a 43l or 44l in a suit jacket. 27" sweaters are just too short for me. I haven't found sweaters that work well both for under a jacket or on their own; they are either too long and won't work with a jacket (often are too wide in the chest as well), or they are too short to wear without a jacket. Any suggestions?

sknonitsuka

Reaction score
Hi, I want to find a reputable shirt tailor that has access to Carlo Riva shirt fabric. Preferabbly in the US or UK. I've found a number of tailors in Italy that have access to the fabric, however they require a minimum order of 6 shirts.

dasai

Reaction score
Thoughts on this tattersall check shirt? I'm hoping to wear it with moleskins, cords, and sometimes jeans, plus a tweed jacket (not yet purchased). I'd need the sleeves taken up and would have to make it much slimmer to fit properly, but I haven't found anything similar in a fitted style.

kellgy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dasai
Thoughts on this tattersall check shirt? I'm hoping to wear it with moleskins, cords, and sometimes jeans, plus a tweed jacket (not yet purchased). I'd need the sleeves taken up and would have to make it much slimmer to fit properly, but I haven't found anything similar in a fitted style.
I have to say the tie they have matched with it pops very well with the shirt and looks like it would go very well with other shirts too.

gusgusterson

Reaction score
I am taking a navy blazer with basted sleeves to the tailor to be finished with shank buttons.
Are shank buttons meant to be sewn on with or without button hole stitching? I am assuming the later, but have never had this done. Thanks!

Creamy

Reaction score
hi SF

is it acceptable or not to wear a black suit jacket with black suit trousers if they are from different retailers?

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Creamy
hi SF

is it acceptable or not to wear a black suit jacket with black suit trousers if they are from different retailers?

Sidestepping the whole question of the appropriateness of black suits in general, the most immediate problem will be that the two black fabrics will almost certainly be different shades of black and will therefore look weird.

carlfifank

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting red high top chucks, but my friend tells me that it is a sin to wear red shoes. What are the thoughts here?

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rugger
What defines a blucher and a derby?
Derby/Blücher are laced shoes with open lacing. example:
334monk_%7C_draycott.jpg
While oxford/balmoral have closed lacing, example:
235oxfordsconnaught.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by carlfifank
I am thinking about getting red high top chucks, but my friend tells me that it is a sin to wear red shoes. What are the thoughts here?

You might think it's cool, but most likely, you'll buy them, wear them once or twice and delegate them to the back of your closet. I'd pass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics