• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lefty's random dog thread.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Didn't the guy who owned them want to use them for fighting? Large and heavily defensive dogs passed around from inexperienced owner to inexperienced owner is an accident waiting to happen. I vaguely remember those posts, but Alex had a few questionable dogs and had a few ... um, unusual training methods. "Rage" as you're describing it here is pretty rare and could easily be confused with a dog with an extreme reactive temperament. Such a dog cornered in a hallway fighting an adversary while an owner bangs on it is going to go deeper into his comfort zone - defense.
Jean Donaldson, director of the behavior and training department at the San Francisco SPCA. "The likelihood is that people see signs and ignore them," Donaldson said. "Usually, there are small signs all along. You cook up the right circumstances and a lot of dogs are capable of doing this type of thing."
A point-by-point rundown of the case. I saw another RS Presa a few years ago at Donovan's. Great looking dog but seriously weak nerves covered up with a strong bluster. I believe he was put down when he bit the owners son. Side note: speaking of Vyatkin, years ago I taught a young kid a few decoy moves and training methods at a dog show. I forgot all about it but just found out that he now lives with Vyatkin's ex. Small world. lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am clearing house and have a few hundred back issues of Dogs in Canada, Dog World and the AKC Gazette to get rid off. If anyone's interested let me know by this weekend.

Also have the same number of Tropical Fish Hobbyist and Freshwater & Marine Aquarium.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was talking to breeder in Germany yesterday about a recent litter.

He mentioned that he offers no help to nursing puppies - they have to work to reach food, warmth, milk. If a puppy cannot crawl across the whelping box to latch on to a teat or fight off a litter mate, the breeder will let it waste away and die.

In his opinion only the very strong minded and those who work hard get the reward. In this case, life.

What says SF?

lefty

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a good strategy if they are intended to be working dogs but totally unnecessary if they're just going to be pets.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
I was talking to breeder in Germany yesterday about a recent litter.

He mentioned that he offers no help to nursing puppies - they have to work to reach food, warmth, milk. If a puppy cannot crawl across the whelping box to latch on to a teat or fight off a litter mate, the breeder will let it waste away and die.

In his opinion only the very strong minded and those who work hard get the reward. In this case, life.

What says SF?

lefty

The Japanese dog men let Tosa puppies fight for their food and let the weak perish. My Japanese import puppy, Zuma, came covered with scars.

On the other hand, some pups are just born small from the position in the womb or whatever. My first ***** Jessie (daughter of Zuma) was the "runt" of her litter and was hand-nursed with goats' milk, but grew into a fair-size, vigorous, athletic Tosa *****.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall reading somewhere (may have been this thread) that pups can be born several weeks apart in terms of development; if true, it would suggest you'd lose some nice dogs by that method.

Anecdotally, it seems pretty common to hear of dogs born as the "runt of the litter" that end up outgrowing their siblings (fwiw, and not to suggest that size is the determining factor of what makes a good dog).

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
I like it. Survival of the fittest.
Or not.
Originally Posted by Stazy
Perhaps a good strategy if they are intended to be working dogs but totally unnecessary if they're just going to be pets.
He is a working dog breeder. There are some hard-core breeders who provide a ***** clean straw and shelter outside, but other than that she's on her own.
Originally Posted by JLibourel
The Japanese dog men let Tosa puppies fight for their food and let the weak perish. My Japanese import puppy, Zuma, came covered with scars. On the other hand, some pups are just born small from the position in the womb or whatever. My first ***** Jessie (daughter of Zuma) was the "runt" of her litter and was hand-nursed with goats' milk, but grew into a fair-size, vigorous, athletic Tosa *****.
You have to wonder if the size of some "runts" isn't due to the extra nutrition and exceptional care they receive.
Originally Posted by dcg
I recall reading somewhere (may have been this thread) that pups can be born several weeks apart in terms of development; if true, it would suggest you'd lose some nice dogs by that method.
There's the rub. There can be as much as a week "age" difference between littermates which at that period of development is substantial. I hate to coddle puppies, but I'd wait to see them at 6 weeks or so before I made any hard decisions. At that point everyone would have "caught up" and if you need to cull, you can at least see what you have. Now there are some puppies that just are weak from the start and should be killed. I heard of another recent litter where one pup was stillborn, one faded and died a week later, one contracted parvo and died at 7 weeks and one survived. Not a dog I would want. lefty

BP348

Reaction score
There are some dogs that just don't have ball drive. You can build it up but it will never be that strong. If she had drive for a tug then take away every other toy and use the tug only. Short (under 15 minutes) sessions then put it away while she is still hot for it. One or two sessions per day.

lefty

I agree with the above. It's not that the dog doesn't have a retrieve drive it just that that drive is weak in the dog. You can build it but honestly you can only do so much. You'll never get this dog to have the high "hunt" and "retrieve" drives that your other dog has.

BP348

Reaction score
Meet the breed: The Hovawart.
Zantos-vom-Schondratal-----mlywW5G8GLeggxHkxF0IPCz7w3T6sx8ceTz_No6pg_U,.jpg
Zantos-vom-Schondratal-----bcHhZVEMZw-fs6kGvpp555N5esD7NAoiZJVuHR06kU0,.jpg
Zantos-vom-Schondratal-----bcHhZVEMZw-fs6kGvpp555N5esD7NAoiv4SJvsteXrk,.jpg
HovawartLaVillaRoysGandhideLaVillaRoy.JPG
Very old breed and excellent working dog and companion, the Hovawart just isn't seen that often in NA or outside Germany for that matter. I've seen a few being trained and they can be formidable. Personally, I've never liked them as they look too much like Goldens for me. lefty

That Hovawart is a Great looking dog! But I have a soft spot for Goldens. I'll have to google them and read up on them.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Then you'll like them - Golden with teeth and balls.

lefty

BP348

Reaction score
Love my Golden as a house pet but unfortunately it's gotten really hard to find a Golden that you can still hunt with.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I heard of another recent litter where one pup was stillborn, one faded and died a week later, one contracted parvo and died at 7 weeks and one survived. Not a dog I would want.
My father bred pointers and we once had a very similar situation. The mother became ill before delivering and gave birth to a few live pups. We spent boatloads of cash trying to save her, but she died within a week of labor. Anyways, one pup survived. She was about the length of a finger and as wide as two. We took her to a vet and, obviously, his prognosis wasn't good. We fed her with a bottle and kept a heat lamp over her little shoe-box crate. She lived a disease-free life up to about 12-years old when she died.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Random.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads