• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high-end car paint

brescd01

Reaction score
I am thinking of re-painting my car grey. Is there a method or place one goes to to get Aston Martin or Bentley quality paint?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
All you would have to do really I would imagine is asking a high end body shop who will be able to provide sikkens or glasurit.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As jet says find a high end paintshop, expensive paint jobs are normally the result of a lot prep, wet sanding, expensive paint and a lot of clear coat.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, all in the prep. Paint hides nothing.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by brescd01
I am thinking of re-painting my car grey. Is there a method or place one goes to to get Aston Martin or Bentley quality paint?

I wouldn't change the color unless 1) You don't care about the car's appearance and 2) you don't care what people say about the car's appearance. However, if you don't care about either, why bother in the first place?

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
I wouldn't change the color unless 1) You don't care about the car's appearance and 2) you don't care what people say about the car's appearance. However, if you don't care about either, why bother in the first place?

What the **** kind of fucked up **** is this? Did you fall down a flight of stairs and smash your head off each one?

If he wants to paint the car to an Aston Martin or Bentley level of quality, he obviously cares. If he asked where to buy a can of spray paint to achieve this look, it would be obvious he doesn't.

I'm not sure where the OP is from but you should go a Google search to find higher end paint shops in your area. I'd call them up and ask what it will cost to have this done. Don't be surprised to spend $3000 or more for a decent job. If you can do any prep work yourself, do it. Sanding sucks ass, but paying someone else to do it sucks more.

What kind of car are you looking to paint?

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
I'm curious about this too.

Most painters use the same paint House kolor / Dupont, so it a question of prep, the painters skill level and the amount of layers of clear coat and not the paint.

If you want to be a 100% sure you get the Aston, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls finish go to the local stealership and ask who they use to paint their cars, a lot of places use external painters.

turboman808

Reaction score
All about finding a good body shop. The thing is to do a really good job is a ton of work. 90% of body shops just do **** work that will make most people happy. Heck most body shops won't even paint a complete car.

But here is the kicker. Good paint jobs are not cheap. If the person says they can do it for less then 5k I would be worried. But also learn about paint and take a look at the jobs that they have done.

I got my porsche painted 2 years ago and they guy did a pretty good job. But he didn't respray the door jams and the trunk area. WHY? Well that would have been another $500 to do. DUDE I didn't say I wouldn't pay more. Here is your $500 now finish the job. HAHA But that was a 5k paint job and it looks just ok.

By the way anyone ever noticed just how ****** ferrari paint is. Lamborghini looks great, ferrari on the other hand looks like Ford or Chevy paint.

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To get a show or concours quality paint job $10K is usually a starting point. As was said before, it's all the prep (sanding, primer, sanding...more sanding) that propels a paint job from pretty good to amazing. So if your car is rare and/or a classic it might be worth it. If it's a '06 M3, not so much.

@Turboman - Ferrari paint seems really delicate to me. A family friend runs a high-end autobody shop that deals primarily in Ferrari and other exotics. When I visit I'm always surprised when fairly new Ferraris with low miles are in for fender and nose resprays because of rock chips. That might also have to do with the cars being lower to the ground but it's not something I typically see on something like a Porsche.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1 to Sikkens or Glasurit

Logan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron

@Turboman - Ferrari paint seems really delicate to me. A family friend runs a high-end autobody shop that deals primarily in Ferrari and other exotics. When I visit I'm always surprised when fairly new Ferraris with low miles are in for fender and nose resprays because of rock chips. That might also have to do with the cars being lower to the ground but it's not something I typically see on something like a Porsche.

The Ferrari F40 has paint so thin you can see the carbon weave through it, rock chips would be impossible to avoid without doing the worst thing you can do to a car, putting a bra on it.

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a sure way to lower your car's value while waisitng around $4-5,000.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
To get a show or concours quality paint job $10K is usually a starting point.

yup! fully agree. going through the paint process myself I can see why the price is that high.... will never paint another car.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's going to be one classy Subaru.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads