• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No bags with 405 Indys...probably same with 403 & 404. Most all others do come with bags.

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
All the Alden products I've bought - and that's plenty - had bags.

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but how do people use the bags? It seems like you would put a shoe or boot in them, but I saw a video on Leffots website showed putting the shoe back in the box and then putting the bags on top before closing the box.

CWJr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
I just checked out the new Alden chukkas at J Crew... I was't a fan of the texture of the roughed out chukka... I much prefer Alden's normal suedes. Also, I wasn't too much of a fan of the cordovan chukka

Of all the J Crew makeups, the #8 captoe boots, the tobacco longwings and their version of the Indy look the best to me. Also their suede plain toe boots are also worth looking into. The Liquor Store also carries a few basic Aldens (#8 longwing, one of the loafers) if you guys just need somewhere to try some on.

Does the suede on the roughed-out chukkas at J Crew have a similar treatment as the Rough Roys at Context? I'm curious as to how weather resistant they would be.

thebunk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by REguy
The Tannery. You used to be able to haggle with them for some pretty good deals. However, the last time I tried, they told me they no longer do that. Definitely check out the Harvard Square store on Brattle Street. The J. Crew men's store at the Copley Mall is worth a visit too. I believe it's the only other store outside of NYC that actually stocks Aldens.

Thanks for the suggestions. Does the Tannery have much of a selection of boots (excluding Indys?)? Same question for NWO as well as they seem to carry a ton of shoes, but few boots (as per their website anyway).

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thebunk
Thanks for the suggestions. Does the Tannery have much of a selection of boots (excluding Indys?)? Same question for NWO as well as they seem to carry a ton of shoes, but few boots (as per their website anyway).
I'm not sure, they may have chukka's. They had no other boot boots on display in the Cambridge store - they only had the Indy's in the normal brown (non-cxl). When I asked about the ones with the vibram soles, they were able to get me them from their Boston store, but they were not on display in Cambridge... Their website shows only chukkas and Indy's.

natesjuice

Reaction score
hi, new to this forum. i was wondering if someone could help me out. i own a pair of ravello cordovan PTB's and would like to know which color polish i should use for them. i recently bought a pair of shoes from the alden carmel shop and asked the gentleman which color i should buy. he recommended brown. when it arrived i opened it up and saw that the brown paste wax seemed a bit too dark for ravello. i'm not sure but is the correct color polish for ravello the tan wax paste? thanks

framus

Reaction score
I also would like to confirm which color polish for Ravello.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by natesjuice
hi, new to this forum. i was wondering if someone could help me out. i own a pair of ravello cordovan PTB's and would like to know which color polish i should use for them. i recently bought a pair of shoes from the alden carmel shop and asked the gentleman which color i should buy. he recommended brown. when it arrived i opened it up and saw that the brown paste wax seemed a bit too dark for ravello. i'm not sure but is the correct color polish for ravello the tan wax paste? thanks

Originally Posted by framus
I also would like to confirm which color polish for Ravello.

Originally Posted by velomane
...and what about whiskey, while we're at it.

Search is your friend.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...wi#post4001092

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^the above post is in reference to kiwi products
Originally Posted by velomane
...and what about whiskey, while we're at it.
these are in reference to Alden Waxes and Creams #8 is #8 wax black shell is black wax cigar is brown wax #4 is tan wax natty chromexcel is neutral boot cream Nick Horween also recommended Venetian Cream to condition and Montana Pitch Blend for a little water repellency (as needed) (this was in reference to chromexcel and natty chromexcel boots) dont own ravello yet but from waht ive gathered you can use the brown or #8 but you will darken/lighten your shoes so use sparingly

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WhatAboutBob
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but how do people use the bags? It seems like you would put a shoe or boot in them, but I saw a video on Leffots website showed putting the shoe back in the box and then putting the bags on top before closing the box.

The bags are for storage and you can use them in or out of the box. Usually, I bag the shoes I'm not wearing regularly and box the out-of-seasons. I drape a bag or two over the regular wear shoes/boots to keep the dust out. I know Steven (Leffot) recommends boxing - then it doesn't much matter if you bag, as long as they're covered in the box.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
search "mac method shell" for shell care ... mac is macarthur, the man with all the shell and loud socks photography

WhatAboutBob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
The bags are for storage and you can use them in or out of the box. Usually, I bag the shoes I'm not wearing regularly and box the out-of-seasons. I drape a bag or two over the regular wear shoes/boots to keep the dust out. I know Steven (Leffot) recommends boxing - then it doesn't much matter if you bag, as long as they're covered in the box.
Thanks for the info...

cuteo101

Reaction score
What is the exact purpose for the NST's toe/front stitching? Is there a utility purpose of just for form?

4536007923_c21eb19889_o.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads