• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Watch Appreciation Thread (Reviews and Photos of Men's Timepieces by Rolex, Patek Philippe, Brei

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDelage

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shikar
Be very careful....there is a reason true vintage ......looks vintage.
teacha.gif

http://shop.ebay.com/timescube/m.html

Regards.

Are those fake?

Raven

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
They very well might be. It depends. Shikar was making the point, and this was my fear upon originally seeing those images, that vintage watches should look "vintage" i.e. old. Those two look brand new.

Well, what's a more dependable place to buy from?

Couple of those ebay Omegas are $100-200... seems WAY too low to be true...

toade

Reaction score
They could certainly be vintage and yet have been restored using new, non-original parts... though at that point are they truly vintage? It is nearly impossible to get an Omega of that time period completely original in that condition.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raven
Well, what's a more dependable place to buy from? Couple of those ebay Omegas are $100-200... seems WAY too low to be true...
I have no idea. And, yes, some of the ones on eBay are way way way too good of a deal to be legit.

katiedaddy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Raven
Thanks jhcam8. I have thought about Cartier Tank series... I don't know why, but I'm not a big fan of it. At least, it's not something I have gravitated to.

I really liked a GO I saw at a store. It was like this, but with only 2 chrono: http://www.prestigetime.com/images/w...2-04b_main.jpg

Or something that looks kind of like this: http://www.prestigetime.com/images/w...14-17_main.jpg

Check out NOMOS, all of their watches have in house movements and they are manufactured in Glashutte just like GO!

nytek

Reaction score
The first one I posted with the white dial is an authentic that has just been full restored, cleaned, and serviced. It's sold by a small family owned business in the UK that just restores one vintage Omega each week into the condition that you now see - obviously they do not have watches with significant wear and tear to begin with. I guess we can debate the merits of why one would buy vintage and whether the "vintage" look is important. I was attracted to the vintage Omegas because of the simple, classic desing, the signature Omega movement, and the small size (I have small wrists). With these sellers, I can get all those benefits while getting a watch that looks almost new.

The second one with the blue face actually isn't as clean and does have some marks, which that picture just masks. I figure I can do some work on my end to get it cleaner.

The third one with the gold bezel is sold by the same guys as the first one. Several SF members have bought from the same source and have been extremely happy, so I feel comfortable with that.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one must be from the same dealer then, judging by the photography etc.

omegasixties.jpg

I believe I got the pic from an earlier post in this thread.

nytek

Reaction score
Yes, same seller. These usually cost $1K+ though, so not the cheap ones on eBay.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
This week's group of watches.

SMP GMT.
seamastergmt.jpg

PAM 24.
pam24.jpg

White dial MK XV.
mkxvwht.jpg

JLC MC.
jlcmc.jpg

Group shot complete with dead bug.
mcpam24mkxvsm.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even more rare:
White dial IWC Mark XV - "Gadebusch"; year 2000; 50 piece edition.
Compared to the (slightly) more common white dial Mark XV - this version offered a cleaner dial (no "˜Mark XV' printed above "˜Automatic'); individually numbered caseback (stamped XX / 50); the markers are applied as on the standard white dial Mark XV (vs. painted on the standard black dial Mark XV).

iwcmarkxvwhitegadebusch.jpg

ryen70

Reaction score
My Panerai watches, a titanium/choco dial 118 and a JLC powered 8-day 190.

DSC_1018.jpg

Here's the 118 on a Ted Su ammo strap:

DSC00125.jpg

Here's the 190 on an HKTan bronze croc strap:

DSC_1043.jpg

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ryen70
My Panerai watches, a titanium/choco dial 118 and a JLC powered 8-day 190.

DSC_1018.jpg

Cool - nice straps, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads